It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2007, 10:38 AM   #1
(male)

morgan75 HB User
Just Diagnosed Mild Fatty Infiltration of Liver

Wanted to get some advice on this guys:

I'm a 32 year old male in relatively good shape. I used to do a modest amount of running and weight lifting but I sort of stopped the last few years. I would say I am in the "overweight" range but no wheres near obese. I'm about 230 lbs and 6'3" and have a fair amount of muscle but still a modest belly.

Anyhow I recently quit drinking because I woke up to the effects long term abuse on the body. It's been about 3 weeks since I stopped but I drank heavy for about 3 years and modest (about 1-2 a week) for about 7 years prior to that....

#1. I've had my blood test for everything from LFT to Kidneys to Pancrease twice and all normal. I had this done twice within a week apart.

#2. I was recenty diagnosed with Mild Fatty Infiltration of the Liver by means of an Ultrasound. The doctor said the ultrasound was not consistant with Cirrihrious nor did he think I had it. He freak me out though because he mentioned the word biopsy! He said another doctor could suggest it.

#3. I have had ongoing very very mild pains near or around my liver area. My liver didn't feel, show up, or look inflamed even though it sorta "felt" a little larger. It didn't hurt whatsoever for the doctor to push on anywhere in my abdomin. This pain comes and goes and most of the time never feel it at all.

#4. I've also had some minor "nausea" WITHOUT vomiting, fever, or anything else serious.

#5. My stool does look "lighter" but I dunno exactly what stool should look like... It is still brown and not grey or anything although it's a lighter brown.

I feel fantastic most of the time with no fatigue, no muscle waste, no itching, or anything like except for the nausea (toward the evening time when I drank).

Do you guys think I have Cirrhirious or anything perm damage? I mean wouldn't that show up on the Ultrasound or the LFT tests? I know you can have a Fatty Liver and Cirrihious but I'm just terrified right now I can't reverse what I did. Does Cirrihous show up on Ultrasound? Is it obvious?

I've completely changed my diet to fruits and veggies... am taking milk thistle,multivitamin without iron, and B complex with Vitamin C now.

Last edited by morgan75; 11-25-2007 at 10:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2007, 07:17 PM   #2
(male)

morgan75 HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed Mild Fatty Infiltration of Liver

Anyone have any ideas?

I still am getting some "dull pains" below my right rib cage pretty regularlly but also on my left side (very infrequently).

I'm scared to death that the drinking and fatty liver did something serious to my liver even though my LFT showed clean twice in a row. I really abused myself for 3 years straight with eating wrong and alcholo but I do feel great.

I haven't had any naseau or other symptoms since I went on a strict low GI diet and have been taking supplements. I'm hoping that I can just stay on this diet and exercise every day for a few months and get in the clear of this scary situtation.

I guess on the positive side they said it looked like "mild" fatty infiltration and also that my liver didn't feel enlarged or hard.

Old 11-29-2007, 07:15 PM   #3
(female)

linda36 HB User

You sound like you're fine. Just keep up with the healthy diet and drink in moderation if at all. Many people have fatty liver disease but it usually doesn't progress to cirrhosis unless you continue to drink excessively.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
(male)

eric5555 HB User

Ultrasound would show cirrhosis and your LFT would be elevated. Biopsy is used to determine the severity and/or confirm disease. I too have some mild pain around my liver area, basically at the base of my liver. But I've had ultrasounds, CT scans, LFT test and endoscopy. Nothing wrong with my liver. I'm still trying to figure out what it's coming from because the doctors have no answers. I too was a heavy drinker. It could be a nerve damage problem (from what others have said). Or, we're just worried people who have read too many scary things about drinking and liver problems on the internet that we "think" the must be something wrong with my liver, therefor the pain. Although I doubt that as well (but possible??). I'm at a loss as to what it is.

Old 11-30-2007, 02:55 AM   #5
(male)

morgan75 HB User

Thanks for the feedback guys. After reading your responses and these forums I must say I've really learned a valuable lesson about Alcohol. I feel absolutely fantastic except yesterday I had some "alcohol" withdrawl symptoms that just about made me lose my mind for a day or so.

I called a detox expert at the local hospital and she said you can have major withdrawl symptoms for weeks after your last drink. My brain apparently is getting back to the mode of "no alcohol" and it can be quiet severe. My feeling was that I was still "drunk" and "anxious" even though I hadn't had a drink for almost 3 weeks now. I literally couldn't stop moving or concentrate. Gave me a minor headache too like a hangover. But it completely passed after I waited it out and I'm "normal" again.

That's really the only scarey thing I've had worry me since an occassional pain or two now. I would be interested to know if any of you guys suffered from withdrawl symptoms as well.

Old 12-01-2007, 12:14 AM   #6
(male)

morgan75 HB User

Just wanted to post some info for those who have been checked out and are "ok'd" but still suffering from paranoia by liver problems or "impending doom". You are probably suffering from what most Alcoholics go through called Post Acute Withdrawl.

Most doctors at the hospitals that aren't specialized in treating Alcholism think that all the MAJOR withdrawl symptoms disappear after 48 hours which is the FURTHEST thing from the truth in long term abuse.

As I said in my last thread the detox expert at Christ Hospital in Cincinnati helped me through the worst "detox" day in my life at day 20. This link only continues to confirm the facts she gave me and made me a feel a lot better knowing there are other people like me having the same issue. I was literally obessive about a liver disorder that I searched all over the web for the same thing and never found a good answer to what I was going through before talking to hear.

Since then I have been slowly improving and the symptoms are getting less and less. Apparently B Complex vitamin is great in helping your liver get back in shape (just don't over do it on Niacin. The Niacinamide is easier on the liver I hear) and resolving the "neurological" healing as well.

I swear they should have a law making people have to read this forums and hear people's stories about life threatening long term Alcohol abuse before being able to drink. I took a DUI class for 3 days about driving drunk and they spent like 60mins total on how bad it can be with no real personal examples. They brought in people and pictures who were injured by abusers who were driving but they never showed us people in hospitals or had liver failure.

I know I have still have some work to do to remove my fatty liver and detox all the way but it's a one day at a time thing. I will pray for all you guys suffering and hope for a quick recovery.

Last edited by moderator2; 12-01-2007 at 07:16 AM.

Closed Thread