It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2007, 02:43 PM   #1
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User
dementia?

My husband is so confused, sleeping a lot, hearing things, very grouchy when awake. His ammonia level is 50, he wasn't like that when it was 169, his sodium level is okay. They got his hemoglobin back up to 9. He has been out of the hospital since Monday. Does anyone have any ideas on what is wrong? What can I do?
Thank you.

Old 12-05-2007, 09:45 PM   #2
(female)

NewYawk HB User
Re: dementia?

My husband is going through the same, Its a horrible thing to watch a love one go through. Was diagnosed with Hepatic Encephalopathy, due to Cirrhosis. His ammonia level was 172 at the worst, and now 65 and considered normal,Never confused or hearing things, but is fatigued, sleeps alot, wakes up nasty at times, and has slurred speech. This happens when they need to be going to the bathroom (stool) 3-4 times a day because toxins are building up to the brain. He takes Lactulose 3 times a day and Rifaximin, which is an Antibiotic that works in the colon. Good Luck.

Last edited by NewYawk; 12-05-2007 at 09:46 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM   #3
(female)

abby4332 HB User

My father has this too. He fell last night and was put in the hospital again. His ammonia level was high, and his blood sugar was high, too. He was vomiting blood. He was talking better-less slurred- but he couldn't remember his phone number.My sister and I don't know what to think. We haven't gotten to talk to the doctor about his prognosis, because our stepmother is always the one to talk to him, and she isn't asking many questions.

Old 01-21-2008, 07:58 PM   #4
(female)

abby4332 HB User

Yes, it's crazy. We went from worrying that this was the end when he was so out of it; then when he got a lot better we were kind of mad at him for scaring us. We were thinking that if he'd just control his protein better, he'd stay better longer and not put us through this. But that may be really unfair to him. I do think that at some point you really can't control it anymore with diet. I hope he doesn't think he's going to drive anymore. Back before Thanksgiving I think he thought he was still ok to drive at least during the day, but I don't think he will be driving at all anymore. I've worried about that for a long time. He doesn't want me or my sister telling him anything like that.
Bless you for everything you're going through. Try to remember that it 's not him that's talking like that-it's the disease. I know it's hard. Do you have family or friends nearby who can be a support to you?

Old 01-22-2008, 06:58 AM   #5
(female)

KBW58 HB User
hepatic encephalopathy

My mother has had cirrohsis for over 20 years and is now at the end stage. I live 300 miles from her and not getting very much info from her docs. From my research she is exhibiting all the classic symptoms of hepatic encephalopathy. I get the impression that her docs have basically written her off and I feel helpless on her care. She's 73, has had a recent fall and is in a rehab facility right now and is not being treated for the encephalopathy as far as I understand. The physician in the facility is an internal med doc and I would assume knows little about end-stage liver disease. Should I contact her gastro doc and let me know what's going on or should we let the disease run it's course?

Old 01-23-2008, 09:05 PM   #6
(female)

abby4332 HB User

I would try to talk to the doctor. I don't know what stage your mother is, but it seems like they should be giving her lactulose and controlling her protein. Is there someone else besides you who is also responsible/making decisions for her care? With my dad, he is married, and my stepmother wants to make all the decisions. My sister and I are trying to be careful not to butt in, but I think sometimes she is not making the best decisions because she just wants him to come home. I know it's hard to be involved in your mother's care from so far away. I can relate to your frustration. I don't feel like the people where my dad is really understand his condition. I don't think they're monitoring his protein at all. I live an hour away from him and have a full-time job, so it's hard to get over there as often as I want to. Hang in there.

Closed Thread