It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #1
(male)

glowfish HB User
elevated ALT, AST, ultrasound shows a lesion - Worried!

I'm a 37 year old male, non smoker, drinks only a glass of wine maybe once a month, former pot smoker, who other then being completely stressed right now otherwise feels fine.
I had bloodwork done for life insurance and discovered elevated enzymes (ALT 159, AST, 58). Everything else was normal. I went to the doctor and he didn't seem concerned, said it was probably either fatty liver or a virus. BTW I am 6'0 and weigh 195lbs which makes me slightly overweight by about ten pounds. I asked the doctor for an ultrasound for peace of mind and he agreed. Ultrasound turned up a lesion (I don't know the size yet) and as a result the Doctor wants to meet with me, and also schedule a CT.
I am completely freaked out, can't sleep, can't eat. Is it normal to order a CT? Does that mean it's less likely to be benign? Do the elevated enzymes mean anything in relation to this? Anybody out there encounter anything similar?

Old 01-30-2008, 07:05 PM   #2
(female)

judybee61 HB User
Re: elevated ALT, AST, ultrasound shows a lesion - Worried!

Hi - Having a CT scan after an abnormal ultrasound is the next step. Depending on who is reading the scan, they can possibly narrow it down and at least tell you if its benign. I have been in your shoes, and I know the worry and anxiety is terrible. From what I've been told, benign liver lesions are relatively common. (I have two!) It's going to be tough for a week or two until they can give you more of an idea of what you are looking at, but think positive!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 AM   #3
(male)

glowfish HB User

Thanks Judy,
I appreciate the reply. It has been really tough waiting, agonizing beyond my wildest dreams. I'm going in to see the docotor today (two days since my ultrasound before I can even talk to him about it... arrggh), and then the CT will be scheduled. Who knows how long before they can get me in to the CT and get me results, but seeing how things have gone I'm guessing I'm going to be sitting on my hands for a while. I don't know how I'm going to make it through this. Should I ask the doctor for anti-anxiety meds? That's what my wife wants me to do. I wish I wasn't so crazy, but I can't help myself.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 AM   #4
(female)

judybee61 HB User

Hi again!
I happen to be on anxiety medication, but I had the dosage increased after all of this happened. For the past year I have driven my husband, children, parents, and sisters crazy with all of my obsessing. I really do understand what you are going through. One important thing I have learned: do NOT go on the internet to try to self-diagnose. It is full of scary things. I am sure they will be able to get you in relatively quickly for your CT scan. You didn't happen to mention if you had any other symptoms other than elevated liver enzymes. They take all of this into account when making a diagnosis. Hang in there!

Closed Thread