It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #1
(male)

rdr2go HB User
pain medication for people with liver disease

I have liver disease, had it for 4 yrs apprx, its at a fairly low level now, I really have no day to day symptoms, but they are still monitoring me and I am on the transplant list, but at the very bottom of it.
My question is what is the best pain killer medicine for someone with a compromised liver. I try to avoid all drugs as much as I can, but I am currently getting over a cold but having extremely painful headaches. The pain just throbs every 30 seconds or so. I took tylenol, in prescribed dosage, which I understand to be the safest otc paid med, but it did not help.

What would be the next step up? I think vicadin has acetamin in it also? what about codiene or even something lide Oxycotin?

As I said, I don't like the pills much, if I could get a prescription for one pill that would relieve the pain, I would be happy. But it would also me nice to know what's the best option should this occur again or even if I hit my thumb hammering a nail.

Thanks in advance for assistance anyone may offer.

I am new to this board and did search, but if this topic has been covered please point out the thread or link.

R

The Following User Says Thank You to rdr2go For This Useful Post:
tonyk23 (03-01-2012)
Old 02-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #2
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User
Re: pain medication for people with liver disease

my husband is in end stage of cirrohis and has also had 5 hip surgeries. they had him on loricets and switched him to norco. both of these are bad. they have just switched him to oxycodone, which is not helping with the pain, as they only have him on 5 mg every 6 hours.
there is really not much you can take for pain that does not hurt the liver. only the strong stuff with no acetaminophin in it. and that stuff is pretty addictive.
i would call your gastroenterologist to see what he suggests. since you are not that bad yet, they may let you take some type of cold medicene. once they tell you what to take, you'll need to call your family doc to get a prescription. that's what i have to do any way.
i always heard that tylenol was the WORST thing to take.
Maybe someone else can tell you of something that won't hurt your liver.
Good Luck RDR.

The Following User Says Thank You to iluvwv For This Useful Post:
Mackman (07-12-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-11-2008, 10:28 PM   #3
(male)

rdr2go HB User

Thanks for your reply. I don't know if its me, but it seems like this should be better known and distributed. What I understand is that Tylenol(acetaminophen) is the only safe pain reliever, AS LONG AS you dont't exceed recommended dossage-cause if you do then its potentially dangerous.

That's why I try to avoid all meds that I can avoid, but every once in a while. there is a pain like these headaches I'm having now that feel like when a Dentist hits a nerve that I sure would like something to take care of it. I would be happy if they even gave a 3 pill prescription to get through a few days, cuz I think its going away, but its driving me crazy now.

R

Old 02-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #4
(male)

greens HB Usergreens HB User

I have just went through this as I was looking for something to take for pain as I have one kidney that does not work and am waiting to get it removed now. What my urologist told me to take Tylenol at recommended doses is safe as long as you do not have liver damage and Advil is safer if you have good kidneys but liver problems. Maybe ask your doc if you could take Advil or some kind of Ibuprofen product.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:32 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

advil for some liver problems is not usually recommended only because it does affect your ability to clot.if you are having uncontrollable headaches,i would actually seek out a good neurologist,there are many other meds thay can use just for head pain that do not cause the same types of liver or kidney issues that advil or tylenol can.i just answered a post way at the top here about the very same question you are asking.take a read.alot of what you can and cannot actually take when having liver problems or kidney problems really comes down to just what your actual liver or kidney issues are.everyone is a bit different.the type of pain you are trying to treat also will make a big difference in some cases as to what the best overall choice would be for you personally.but in your case,i would actually seek out a neuro for the best possible treatment options for you.good luck,marcia

Closed Thread