It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2008, 01:31 PM   #1
(female)

phovo HB User
just dx w/ hep c. So scared. Please guide me.

Long story short. 2 yrs. ago, I came upon this board lurking about slightly elevated liver enzymes. My GP told me to quit this certain brand of vitamins, and to stop the tylenol and wine to see what new numbers bring. The new numbers dropped slightly down to AST 45 and ALT 65. Two months later she accepts another position and I was w/out a GP. Last year the enzymes were AST 45 and ALT 71 when I went to a community blood health fair analysis. Now I have a new GP and the enzymes from last month are AST 45 and ALT 74. The AST has remained the same while the ALT has crept up.

She sent me to a gastro MD and had blood work done. I went back to him for the results and he floored me with HCV. He asked me if I have ever had blood transfusions and I had many in 1973-1974 due to blood loss from fibroid tumors. Come on now!!!!! This can show up now??? My AST and ALT throughout the years till recently have been normal. First question~Is it possible to have been infected 34 years ago and have it show up now???

While there I did another blood test to see about the virus. So second question.... What should I ask when he calls me with the results?

Also, when I did the blood work for my new GP, she put me on thyroid med, Levothyrox, because now I am hypothyroid. Third question....Is this related to my having Hep C. I go in to see her next month to evaluate the thyroid med.

All my life I have been healthy and never on meds. 2008 comes in and HITS me head on. Just want to add, I am 58 years old and feel fine. But now I am scared and upset.

And by the way, what head ache med can I take that is liver friendly?

Sorry for all the questions and long post, but I need to hear from someone that is dealing with this HCV, and help me get through it. Thank you. And many blessings.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-30-2008, 07:11 AM   #2
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User
Re: just dx w/ hep c. So scared. Please guide me.

in most cases it takes 20 years or longer before the symptoms of hep-c show up. all depends on the person.
the next blood test will probably tell them how active the virus is. they will probably suggest treatment when they call. be prepared for several months of treatment if it is active.
i have no idea about the thyroid thing. have not experienced this.
don't take any meds for the headaches without dr telling you which ones.

good luck.

Old 03-30-2008, 11:20 AM   #3
(female)

phovo HB User

When you say symptoms, do you mean the physical symptoms, or do you mean the enzyme numbers? I don't feel a thing wrong physically. Thank you so much for responding.

Old 03-30-2008, 01:40 PM   #4
(female)

i guess i meant damage. usually they say hep-c doesn't damage anything until after 20 years. that's why the symptoms, such as elevated liver enzymes, doesn't show up at at first and liver damage is one of the first signs that something is wrong. that's what happened with my husband.

Old 03-30-2008, 02:16 PM   #5
(female)

phovo HB User

Thank you for the clarification. I have a lot to learn, and this looks like a very informative group of people on this board.

Another question, at what point do you feel physical symptoms? I figure it is an individualized situation. However, do the enzymes spiral more upward and then the damage is felt physically? I am so afraid of this time bomb.

Old 03-30-2008, 03:01 PM   #6
(female)

i guess one of the worst things for me is not knowing what is going to happen next. no one can seem to tell me a time limit on any of this. first thing to do is take the best care of your liver as you can. no drinking, no meds, etc. do whatever you can to keep this from getting worse. When they told my husband he had hep-c he didn't quit drinking until his liver was shot. now he's trying to get a transplant. you don't want to go thru this.
good luck

Closed Thread