It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-02-2008, 06:02 AM   #1
(female)

michelle991 HB User
Question My Husbands in denial w/ cirrhosis and won't go back to doctor

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone can share some insite for me. My husband is 49 and was diagnosed with hep c and cisshosis about 6 years ago. They told him to stop drinking, but of course he hasn't. He now refuses to go back to the doctor (its been 3 yrs) because he says, its like driving off a cliff. If you don't know your going to go its not so bad. The problem is in the last year his stomach has grown to the point of looking pregnant. He also has blacked out 4 times in the last year. Another thing that worries me is he lost a perfectly good tooth from gum diesaese. I forgot to mention he also was diagnosed with high blood pressure and acid reflux disease. He is on medication for those, but not for the swelling because the doctor is unaware of it. He is still working full time doing constuction and has never missed work. can anyone tell me what to expect??? He sneaks drinking vodka but will drink beer in front of me. His prime complanit is being tired. He will go to bed at 8-8:30. We have a 4 year old son and I'd like to know more about what to expect on how long he might have and how to get him some help. I lost my first husband to a heoin od and I raised my 17 year old myself. I feel like Im reliving the past... Please Help!

Old 04-04-2008, 06:00 AM   #2
(female)

jayneflop HB User
Re: My Husbands in denial w/ cirrhosis and won't go back to doctor

hi my husband is the same age and has recently been diagnosed with chirrosis but he didnt know and has stopped drinking completely cuz it frightened him to death,he had been diagnosed with cellebellar ataxia 4 yrs ago which affects his gait,he has no balance cant walk without aids has constant shaking in his legs his memory his vacant at times and all this is through drinking and now he has chirrosis his legs and stomach are full of water,he looks 10mths pregnant he was yellow couldnt wee when he did it was dark brown was constanly tired all this through booze. Like i said he has stopped drinking but when i asked the doctor his outcome he said cuz hges stopped drinking his outcome can be good but if he carried on he would probably have maximum 5yrs to live could be shorter if he carried on drinking so please tell him about my husband and try to get him to stop he has no life he has aged 20yrs and i have to everything for him let me know how you get on jayne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2008, 12:00 PM   #3
(female)

michelle991 HB User

I am going to show him this, but I don't know that it will matter. I just found out through a friend, he has been drinking vodka before he comes home from work as well. I think he does this, so I won't know how much he drinks. You said your husband is swelling ...can't they drain it? My husband has gone from a 34 waist to a 40 over the last year and it is all in his stomach. It really lays heavy on my mind.....You see we have a four year old...If thats not bad enough I also have an 18 year old who lost his father (and my first husband) to a heroin overdose.... I feel like I am reliving the past.... I am only 44 and I know if he doesn't stop drinking his days are limited..... Thanks for responding ...keep me up to date.

Old 04-05-2008, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

jayneflop HB User

hi michelle991 yea they can drain it but at the mo there fobbing us off with taking water tablets but my hubby was the same he went from a 34 waist and now hes about a 42 cuz im having to buy him xxl jogging bottoms which hes never wore in his life,but its a nightmare with him not being able to walk with the cellebellar with this enormous belly its impossible.hes having to sleep downstairs cuz he cant get upstairs,this cellebellar is really hard to cope with its like looking after another baby and i hope your hubby dont get it,my hubby used to sneak drink vodka,he woulld drink it front of me but i didnt know how much,but i am really proud of him now cuz he hasnt had a drink for about 6 weeks because the doctors warned him he would be dead if he carried on,also you now your hubby might be frightened to go to doctors cuz they can smell it on them cuz the 1st time we went the doctor could smell it,i think they can smell it through the skin,perhaps when hes been in the past they might have said that to him but tell him not to worry if he wants help they will help him,but please tell him from me to try and stop we have just lost a friend to it and its not a nice death speak to you soon jayne

Old 04-07-2008, 03:20 AM   #5
(female)

michelle991 HB User
Smile Re: My Husbands in denial w/ cirrhosis and won't go back to doctor

Hi Jayne,
Thanks for your input....I've tried talking to my husband and showing him things, but he just doesn't want to hear it. He continues to drink.... I have to ask you, does your husband eat okay? I have read that with cirrhosis that their appitite dissappears. That is still not the case with my husband. He eats very well. I have to admit though he is having problems walking with his stomach. He won't admit it, but he waddles like it's uncomfortable. I prey for him as I don't know what else to do....His mood swings seem to be increasingly worse...I know that could be the booze or the liver... I am at wits end....I know it's only a matter of time....I also notice he burps and has a lot of heartburn. He also drinks a tremendous amount of milk. I don't know that it can harm him, but to much of anthing can't be good for you. I am glad your husband stopped drinking...hopefully they can get the swelling down... Let me know how he's doing. Keep in touch - michelle -

Old 04-07-2008, 05:43 AM   #6
(female)

jayneflop HB User

hi michele his appetite is good now but when he was drinking hed go days without hardly anything to eat but then he would like binge i think it was when he felt well,he too was living on heartburn remedies always complaining of heartburn,now when i come to think of it we has wives just keep going on as though is happening but we now that there is when i look back all the signs he was showing was due to the booze and his liver,he was constantly feeling unwell saying hed got the flu,always had diahorrea and sickness but was always putting it down to bugs.I know exactly how you feel they now best and youve just got to shut up and get on with things but at the end of the day i was glad that my hubby was taken very ill and had to go to the hospital and thats when things started rolling and he finally admitted to his drinking causing damage to his body we can only do so much,I hope your hubby does take note but you know im always here if you want to chat and scream speak to you soon jayne

Old 04-08-2008, 03:50 PM   #7
(female)

simonsez2 HB User

Hi Michelle, my name is Donna and I was reading your post about your husband. I swear I could have been reading about my own except we are not married, we've been together for 14 yrs though. Mine was told he had cirrhosis about two and a half yrs ago and didn't stop drinking either. Then last Nov he was in the hospital for an infection on his feet and we found out he had hep C. He is still drinking beer daily and on the weekends his choice is crown royal. He's another one that won't go back to the dr. only he knows he's sick. I know he wants to live but it's almost as though he doesn't care. The infectious disease dr told him he had to quit drinking for 3 months before he could be treated for the hep,didn't stop, so he is not being treated
I hope to hear back from you soon, Donna

Old 04-08-2008, 05:21 PM   #8
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User

hello everyone. my hubby is in the hospital... he was told he had hep-c and cirrohis in 2000. he is only 44 years old. he quit drinking july last year. too late. he's in for seizures right now. i didn't know they had seizures. i did a search last night found that seizures do occur with cirrohis. i thought i had studied and knew what to expect with this disease. this is so terrible! if only he would have quit drinking when he found out about the problem we probably wouldn't be going through this. i asked them if they could drain some of the fluid off of my hubby today at the hospital, and they told me no... it would just come right back.
i will be praying for you all. what's ahead is no picnic.

Old 04-09-2008, 04:14 AM   #9
(female)

michelle991 HB User

Hi Donna,
You know its weied you mentioned crown royal. That is what my husband would drink when we go out. He is now sneaking a pint of vodka (or more) before he comes home from work. I know this because I borrowed me sons friends car and followed him 2 days in a row. I watched him from the parking lot. He drinks it and throws away the bottle before coming home and then brings beer home. I don't dare tell him what I did. He is already very angry that I keep talking about it. Last night I said look at that little boy and look at me ....Are we not more important than liquor....I wanted so badly to tell him what I did, but I know his temper and it wouldn't have been pretty. He won't listen at all. His feet are itching all the time and there is a rash all over them. I know in my heart that his belly is not gonna hold up much longer....I wish so damn much there was something I could do....To make matters worse he loves salt and I know you are supposed to stop the salt because of the fluid retention. You worry me talking about seizures. Could my husband have one driving??? Did yours have any signs that it was going to happen? And what causes it??? I am like you, I have been searching the web for information on Hep c and cirrhosis, but I havn,t seen anything on seizures. Well, My prayers are with you....Let me know how everything is going and I'll do the same. I'm flat angry - scared and afraid.... Michelle

Old 04-09-2008, 04:17 AM   #10
(female)

michelle991 HB User

to iluvwv, Sorry you were the one speaking of seizures....can you give me some insite???? Thanks, Michelle

Old 04-09-2008, 11:04 AM   #11
(female)

jayneflop HB User

hi all hope all your hubbys can get well there like kids aint they my prayers are with you and them jayne

Old 04-09-2008, 11:51 AM   #12
(female)

simonsez2 HB User

Hi Michelle, it's Donna again. How's it going? Good I hope. I didn't know about seizures either. It was news to me when I read it here. The other day is when I accidently found these message boards and I wasn't even going to bother telling my "hubby" about it. This morning when I was getting ready to leave for work, I mentioned it to him, and told him about it and that if he was to stop drinking that there was still hope for him to live a longer life. He seemed like he was a little interested and said umm., but by the time he gets off work tonight, the first thing he is going to do is crack open a tall boy of busch!!! I just know it too well. Hopefully something will click in though.

Old 04-09-2008, 03:51 PM   #13
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User

i had never heard of seizures with cirhossis. when i did the search i put in seizures and cirrhosis and read some interesting stuff, but i'm still so confused. i didn't expect any of this and i thought i had read enough and knew what to expect next... wrong. yesterday they gave him albumin thru his iv... never knew of that either. and gave him 2 units of blood last night and today magnesium, calcium, potassium, and something else thru the iv. they put some really tight socks on his feet (he raised hell cause they hurt) and this morning his feet looked great. the fluid was almost gone, but it still leaves a dent when you push in on his legs...they said that's not good. his stomach is still so big! this is a total nightmare. and tell your hubby that my husband only drank beer. the gastroenterologist told me they had more patients from drinking beer than anything... cause everyone thinks it won't hurt them I guess. Once the damage is there you have to stop! Not to mention what it's putting their family thru.
Prayers are with you all. I'm too tired to type any more.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:31 AM   #14
(female)

michelle991 HB User

Hi all, I really appreciate all your replies. I still have to ask could my husband just out of the blue have a seizure? He often drives with our 4 yr old in the truck without me. It really worries me.... I also noticed last night my husbands feet are itching more and more and there is a rash. I said something to him about the swelling in them too, but he said there not swelling. I am not crazy, you can't even see his ankle bone and the arch in his feet is almost unnoticeable. He has also had a cold forever...I mean 2 months.....I can't get through to him...He drank vodka and beer last night again. It doesn't seem that anything I say matters. I can only thank God I have all of you to help me through this. I am so fearful as to what is to come. Thanks for listening ...I'm praying- Michelle

Old 04-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #15
(female)

simonsez2 HB User

You know my hubby ended up in the hospital last Nov because of an infection on his feet. I don't know if it's from the cirrhosis or not, but I believe with all my heart that it was. It started out as a little red rash that itched and he scratched it so bad it got infected on both feet. The top of his feet turned so dark where it had been inflamed that it was just about black. Please try to talk your husband to go to the dr to get this checked out. My hubby's feet was so bad they addmitted him into the hosp. and he was there for one week! That's when we found out he had hep. C

Closed Thread