It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2008, 07:42 AM   #1
(female)

kellysmum HB User
US shows spot on liver-worried

Hi, I'm new to this board. I hope someone can give me some hopeful advice.

I'm 43 years old, female, with some health problems for which I take various meds. I have polycystic ovarian sydnrome, for which I take birth control pills. I also have allergies and asthma, for which I take antihistamines and Advair and Singulair. I have hyprothyroidism-Synthroid, and I am bipolar type 2, for which I take Zyprexa and Paxil. I also am pre-diabetic, for which I take Metformin. Other than all this, I'm in good health, although I've noticed I have been fatigued for the past few months (I ascribed it to my bipolar meds).

I had a bout of nausea and vomiting a few weeks ago that came out of nowhere and was followed by pain in my right lower rib cage, close to my sternum. My GI doc sent me in for an ultrasound, which showed a spot on my liver. My family doc. wants me to go in for an MRI, but I'm due to see the GI doc on Tuesday re. an upper endoscopy I had this morning (which was fine) and the spot on my liver.

I am very concerned that the spot is a cancerous mass. I know it could just be an adenoma, but I can't stop worrying. Can anyone offer any reassurance? And is an MRI the logical next step, or should I have a biopsy instead (trying to save money here)?

Thank you to you all.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
(female)

bethegk7 HB User
Re: US shows spot on liver-worried

Kellysmum, the MRI and blood tests are the next logical steps. I would skip the endoscopy. Blood tests will help indicate if there is liver trouble and the MRI will help differentiate between more common cancer and benign tumors. The biopsy should only be done after those steps.

Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread