It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-15-2008, 08:09 PM   #1
(female)

sunny6574 HB User
what is the longest someone can live with cirrhosis of the liver without a liver tran

what is the longest someone can live with cirrhosis of the liver without a liver transplant? My father was diagnosed in November of 2007 with this disease and immediately stopped drinking and taking all meds that would be bad for his liver. He has good days and bad days, depending on his amonia levels. He is going to the dr and is doing what they say. It's just on the bad days I see him and I wonder how much time he has. I hate to think about that, but I can't help it. I love him so much and want to do all that I can while I can.

Last edited by sunny6574; 07-15-2008 at 08:16 PM. Reason: add more information

The Following User Says Thank You to sunny6574 For This Useful Post:
Ferl (08-03-2012)
Old 07-19-2008, 04:26 AM   #2
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User
Re: what is the longest someone can live with cirrhosis of the liver without a liver

every one is different. my husband will get so bad that i don't think he will make it through the night, then the next day he has snapped back. i have often wondered the same thing, but the more i read, the more i see that every one is different. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-19-2008, 06:14 AM   #3
(female)

sunny6574 HB User
Re: what is the longest someone can live with cirrhosis of the liver without a liver

thank you. That is kind of what I have seen. How long has your husband been with the diagnosis, if you don't mind my asking?

Old 07-19-2008, 07:29 AM   #4
(female)

he was told in 1999. But he didn't start showing symptoms until 2005. It's been a long and hard road.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:50 AM   #5
(female)

sunny6574 HB User

I understand. My dad was told in 2007, but I suspected it for a long time before that bc. he showed the symptoms and I did a little research on the interent. We almost lost him in November and that was a wake up call for him. But he still has bad days when the toxins build up in his system and then the next day he is a lot better. He will never get back to where he was and I know that. He forgets things easily and was out in the back yard burning trash and then set the yard on fire. So my mom has to keep a close eye on him. What is really sad, for me, is that he and my son are really close. We lived with them for the first 5 years of my son's life while we built our house. My son is now 7 and he is still very close to dad and this has really effected him in that he has developed seperation anxiety. And it makes me sad to think that my dad won't be here for my son's graduation, wedding, etc. My dad has stopped drinking all alcohol, so that is good. But he is stubborn in that he still pushes himself physically in doing stuff around the house to the point that he is completely exhauseted. Thank you for your time in responding and reading. It's just very hard. I am only 34 and am not ready to lose him.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:12 PM   #6
(female)

my son is now 17, he has had a really hard time with this too. my husband is only 44.
is your dad on lactolose? i have to up my husband's dosage anytime he gets confused. he has to poop 2 or more times a day in order to keep the ammonia levels down to stop the confusion. even at that he still gets confused sometimes.
good luck. you and your family will be in my prayers.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:10 PM   #7
(female)

sunny6574 HB User

thank you so much and you and your family are in my prayers. yeah, he is on that medication and when he hasn't gone enough to the bathroom is when he gets off...but even on a good day, it's not really good..ya know?...when he first got out of the hospital he was his old self, walking tall, taking well and looking great and then he started going down hill again and has been up and down ever since, but not back up to the top...it's tough...thank you for talking with me...I don't know anyone who has a family member with this that I can talk to...

Closed Thread