It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-29-2008, 06:01 PM   #1
(male)

Mark5000 HB User
High Liver enzymes

Hi just got back from a two week vacation and my Liver enzymes were ALT 180 AST 100. On my last labs they were in the normal ranges. I recently added 2000IUs of Vitamin D to my supplementation which is high and was wondering if this could be the cause? Also on Vacation I got a bad cold with sore throat and all that stuff. Could a short term illness like this cause elevated Liver enzymes? I took Tylenol only two times while being sick. Advil maybe a couple of more. The Dr is going to run some more blood tests but told me that many times Liver enzymes are high and they can find no reason for it. He said its the most common out of range test without any explanations for it. I don't like them high.

Old 07-30-2008, 02:47 PM   #2
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User
Re: High Liver enzymes

hi mark. you can read the post that 'feel bad' replied to the tylenol question. she explains things so well. my dr told me once that taking meds before the blood test would sometimes give abnormal readings. i hope that is all it is. good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-30-2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

Hi Mark5000,

High liver enzymes can be many many different things, and much of it is based on your current health history, drug exposures, infectious exposures and other things you can't control. So, how old are you, do you have any health problems (treated or not), and are you on any medications?

In your case, your liver enzymes are high which definitely warrants investigations. You said you were recently ill with a sore throat. There are some viral infections which can give you a mild hepatitis, and usually this is from EBV, which is the causative agent for mono. Mono usually presents as a mild flu-like illness in most people, but in some, it can result in severe swelling of the glands in your neck, a very enlarged spleen and a mild hepatitis.

Other liver diseases that are usually screened for are:
alcoholic liver disease, wilson's disease, autoimmune hepatitis (if you're a young woman), hepatitis A/B/C (A is unlikely unless you've recently been jaundiced), alpha 1 anti-trypsin deficiency, hemachromatosis (unlikely to cause problems unless you're older than 40), non alcoholic fatty liver disease (associated with obesity and diabetes) and drug related liver disease. There are other things which can cause raised liver enzymes like gallstone hepatitis.

Vitamin D supplementation at the dose you're taking is very unlikely to cause a raise in your liver enzymes. What other medications are you on? Where did you go on vacation? Did you drink a lot of alcohol?

Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 PM   #4
(male)

Mark5000 HB User

HI, Thanks for the replies. It is a bit puzzling, I am not overweight 6' 185lbs. As far as drinking I drink two glasses of wine on the weekends. On Vacation I drank two almost every night. As far as meds I had Thyroid cancer in 1991 and had a complete thyriodectomy so I take Synthriod. I can't find where synthroid raises liver enzymes. Hypothyroid can raise them so I intend to have my thyroid checked. One thing I read today was that Zantac can raise Liver enzymes and in the past two weeks I took 300mgs of it maybe 6 times. On a possibly unrelated side note I also developed around the same time Tinitus and a few bouts of vertigo which lasted most of the day. The Dr gave me the sea sick patch which I wore two days. And Bonine which I took 3 or 4 times. We went on vacation in Montana Fly fishing and horseback riding.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:53 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

you mentioned that your "last" labs were normal? how long ago were those other labs done? i do agree,being at the level they are another set needs to be done and further investigation is warrented too. that is just a bit high out of range for any docs comfort level i would think. i don't think(JMO) that any of the things you mentioned you took would realistically bring those numbers up that high. were those the only numbers that were out of range? were any of your other numbers at the higher end of the norm range? marcia

Old 07-31-2008, 06:05 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

I totally agree with feelbad, though to be fair, idiosyncratic drug reactions can technically do anything to the liver. On the other hand, none of the drugs mentioned really has that type of reputation. Hypothyroidism doesn't cause a raise in liver enzymes directly.

Which part of the world are you from Mark 5000?

Old 07-31-2008, 06:22 AM   #7
(male)

Mark5000 HB User

Oddly my last Hepatic Panel was done only a month before which was normal. Two months before that test I had a physical where my enzymes were ALT 70 AST 60 just a bit over. The Dr said it was no big deal but I could run them again in a couple of months which was the normal value test. They were included again in the test after vacation as they were trying to find out why i was so dizzy or having vertigo. On this test they were the highest ever.
Can the vary this much month to month? Three months ago a little high,one month ago normal, and now way out of range?

Last edited by Mark5000; 07-31-2008 at 06:25 AM.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:51 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

It may be normal for the enzymes to vary WITHIN THE NORMAL range slightly from month to month, but if your enzymes are going in to the abnormal range when fluctuating, it needs to be investigated. If it happens once, it's no big deal--but the fact that your enzymes have now been abnormal twice, it is worth looking in to. I can't think offhand how dizziness/vertigo is related to high liver enzymes unless it is in a non-specific way. Have you been tested with more specific liver tests OTHER than just the AST/ALT? Have you recently had an abdominal ultrasound?

Old 07-31-2008, 12:55 PM   #9
(female)

Dorothy Mae HB User

Just a comment or two on Tylenol. It is my opinion that this OTC medication should be taken off the shelf! It has been proven to cause elevated enzymes.
In my personal experience I was taking 2 Tylenol PM every night and 2 Tylenol Arthiritis every morning. This was my procedure for over 6 months never thinking of any repurcussons. Recently I found my ALT + ASP were elevated. Then I began to look closely at possible reasons. I do not drink so it wasn't from alcohol. But the info on Tylenol lable alerted me to look deeply.
My doctor knew I was taking it and didn't say not to...
9 days ago my alt + asp were forund way to high but could have gone higher had I not stopped taking it.
The readings were 261 + 360
Today my readings are almost normal!
Hard to believe it but that is the reading - 50 + 60
Today,
I am very greatful that my doctor said it could be tylenol 9 days ago.
Hope you aren't a drinker and hope you will cease using Tylenol
I sincerely hope no one is offended by my point blank statements.
Dorothy

Old 07-31-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
(female)

Dorothy Mae HB User

Dizziness ( vertigo ) certainly can occur due to elevated enzymes ALT + AST.
The liver may be reacting to them.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:35 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Dorothy, you have very good points. The thing with OTC medications is that, in certain unlucky people, yes, your body will react to them poorly (even at normal doses) and cause problems. Dorothy, just a question, did your doctor follow up with any other liver tests for you? Just because your liver enzymes went down when you stopped the tylenol doesn't mean you don't have some type of underlying liver disease. It's important to look for other things because, sometimes the liver becomes more prone to damage by certain medications if there is already something causing problems that has yet to be picked up.

Old 07-31-2008, 01:38 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorothy Mae View Post
Dizziness ( vertigo ) certainly can occur due to elevated enzymes ALT + AST.
The liver may be reacting to them.
Hi Dorothy Mae,

I'm not sure what you mean here when you say the liver may be "reacting to them". By "them" are you referring to the raised enzymes? If you are, then actually that is not totally how it works. The enzymes AST and ALT are contained within the hepatocytes themselves. There is a certain level of enzyme constantly leaking in to the blood in good health, but in periods of inflammation and liver cell damage, all that is happening is the ALT/AST are dumping in to the blood from the damaged/inflamed liver cells tp greater extent. These enzymes are just MARKERS that something is happening to the liver cells.

Dizziness (vertigo) is not a symptom which is directly related to liver disease. It can be related indirectly (e.g. you have cirrhosis, you have less fluid in your blood vessels because it all collects in your stomach, and you get dizzy from having a low blood pressure); however, vertigo is not a symptom specific to the liver as it is to inner ear disease, and liver definitely does not react to the AST/ALT.

Last edited by harka; 07-31-2008 at 01:40 PM.

Old 08-01-2008, 07:46 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

there is a very direct possible brain issue with liver disease but it is normally seen in later stages of active liver disease.the ammonia levels. when there is an abnormal 'processing' going on within the liver,the protien that is normally broken down in the liver as ammonia is simply cleared normally. but when liver impairment is present,that normal processing of proiten and clearance of ammonia gets kind of screwed up and too much ammonia can get into the blood and it for some reason attaches very directly to brain cells. but his would be a more "clouded' thinking and change in mentation,but dizzyness could also be a possible symptom. but like i said,i do think you would be showing much more than 'just' vertigo or dizzyness if ammonia was the culprit. but your doc can test your ammonia levels in the blood very easily with one blood test just to make certain that there is a normal ammonia level in your blood and not too much. but to my knowledge,that realistically would be the only real connection there. your vertigo could also be a totally seperate issue too,you have to keep that also in mind.

i do agree that this DOES need much deeper investigation to find out just why your enzymes are all over the place. being great at one visit and then at another kind of way above the norm just is not normal and needs to have the reasons found out. there is just 'something' causing this that needs to be tracked back to the source,ya know what i mean? i would really see about getting referred to a good GI doc who would be able to give you much more solid info and also do specific types of testing on you too. have you ever had an actual ultrasound done on your liver just to actually "see' whats going on in there? this could reveal something that trust me,the bloodwork would not actually show til some levels of real damage hit a certain point into that threshold or perameters is hit. what will actually showup in plain bloodwork acan be insome cases a very different story than any real scan can show ytou. this is the way my liver and kidneys currently are from PKD that has also taken over my liver. very severe cystic formations that have greatly enlarged both my kidneys but all my labs are amazingly with all normal ranges and have never once been out of range ever in my life yet. i know that will change here once my damage reaches that 'magic' level,but for now,everything appears to still be functioning normally. asounding actually when you see what my ultrasounds show of them.

you just need someone other than your primary helping here in finding out the reasons for this up and down enzyme stuff. a good GI would be who i would be asking to be referred to at this point if this were me hon. you just really need to know why ya know? marcia

Old 08-01-2008, 06:19 PM   #14
(male)

Mark5000 HB User

Saw the internist yesterday and he ordered an ultrasound which I get done on wednesday. He said that he thinks I contracted some kind of Virus for them to shoot up so fast and although he wanted to do some tests he believes they will start to go down as the virus leaves. He said that viruses can cause the vertigo and attack the liver too. I hope he is right.

Old 08-02-2008, 05:02 AM   #15
(female)

iluvwv HB Useriluvwv HB User

good luck mark. post back and let us know how it goes.

Closed Thread