It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2008, 07:47 AM   #1
(female)

susieq14 HB User
Question Can a Hemangioma cause Low Iron?

is there anyone here who has a liver hemangioma who had it bleed and cause your iron levels to drop and show you have iron deficiency???

I tried to donate blood and ws told my levels were too low. Saw my PCP who ordered blood tests which show I am iron deficient.

Since I'm postmenopausal and have had no spotting, my PCP thinks it might be a GI bleed even though I have seen no evidence of bleeding. He told me to go see my GI Doc who I see for my GERD and IBS and who was also monitoring an indeterminate lesion on my liver.

Lesion was seen on a CT scan in October 2006 and after many follow-up MRI's they have finally decided it was a stable hemangioma and no more MRI's were needed - this was decided in February 2008.

I just had an upper endoscopy in Sept 07 and March 08 and the GI doc didn't write anything in her report or say anything to me that there was an ulcer. What else could be bleeding? I'm wondering if it is my liver hemangioma.
thanks for any advice.

Last edited by susieq14; 09-02-2008 at 07:26 PM.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #2
(female)

susieq14 HB User
Re: Can a Hemangioma cause Low Iron?

I saw the GI doc on Tuesday 8/12 but she was double-booked on her last day in the office for 2 weeks so needless to say it was a very rushed appointment.

Today was the doctor's first day back in the office and I hoped to hear from
from her with the results of my bloodwork. She tested me for celiac and malabsorption. If it comes back negative, she wants to do a colonscopy and capsule endoscopy.
Of course the phone did not ring, I will call tomorrow. should I ask about the liver bleeding?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-03-2008, 11:26 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kt8889 HB User

No question is a stupid question. Yes, make sure she knows what is going on and ask her anything you can think of.

Old 09-03-2008, 02:15 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

susieq,

The first thing one needs to do when one develops a "condition" is look for side effects of any medications or otc's that one is taking....why? because the doctors find it more lucrative to test and test and test than to disco a medication. Sad but true.

Anemia is a side effect of Nexium...you might want to do some more reading...

Bethsheba

Old 09-05-2008, 08:12 AM   #5
(female)

susieq14 HB User

Thnaks Katie and Bethsheba for getting back to me!
Since I did not hear from my doctor on Tuesday or Wednesday, I called the office on Thursday morning and one of the nurses called me back at 2:30. She told me that my bloodwork was within normal limits so I'm guessing that means no celiac or malabsorption. The nurse sent a message to the doctor and I'm still waiting to hear from her. I will definitely ask her about the liver hemangioma - she was the one following it via MRI's but I know that you have to remind your doctor of who you are and what your situation is because they see so many patients that they have no clue half the time.

I guess I will be having another colonoscopy as she suggested at my visit. This will be the third since February 2005.....

I have been reading on the anemia board and am finding out the Nexium might indeed be my problem. I hope not becuase i need it to control my acid reflux/GERD.

oh well, nothing is ever easy!

Old 09-05-2008, 11:00 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

bethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB Userbethsheba HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieq14 View Post
... I hope not becuase i need it to control my acid reflux/GERD....
You're assuming you need it to control your acid reflex...there are other solutions. But good luck, and don't believe everything those doctors tell you...check it out thoroughly, first.

Good luck!

Bethsheba

Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #7
(female)

susieq14 HB User

I finally heard back from my GI doctor later Tuesday afternoon and I asked her about the hemagioma causing the iron deficiency and she said that was not the cause of it.

My blood work was negative for celiac and malabsorption so I am now scheduled for a colonoscopy.

Closed Thread