It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2008, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

cjntx50 HB User
Unhappy Liver Hemangioma surgery Sept. 4th.

I'm so scared! Worried! I'm going to have the large hemangioma removed from my liver in two weeks. (9-4-08). My doctor said he would have to do a liver resection. Remove a large part of my right lobe where the hemangioma is attached. Can someone tell me what I'm up against here that has been there, done this, kind of thing??? Talk me through this? All I know is that it will be done with an open insecission. Did I spell that right? Well, sniff...close enough. HELP! I'm so scared. What's gonna happen to me???? Thanks...cjntx50

Old 08-21-2008, 06:24 PM   #2
(female)

neens7982 HB User
Re: Liver Hemangioma surgery Sept. 4th.

CJ,

It's Neens....I remember you!! No worries!! You will do fine!! I promise. If you click on my name, you can read about my experience. I had mine last December and now I am doing great. Let me know if you have any questions!! Praying for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-21-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

kt8889 HB User

CJ, I remember you too! You are going to be fine, but we understand your fears right now. We have posted enough information on here to keep you reading all night long. You can search my name too for posts. There is an Adenoma/FNH thread that started back in 2003. (Yes, three) Neens, Nessie, Juliet, Linda, Beth and others got very active posting on it around January of this year 2008. You can follow all of our stories, surgeries, ect, by follow the dates. Please join us in the support x11 thread. We are here for you hon! I know we have become a bit side tracked lately, but we are sticking around to help out women like you.
Hugs,
Katie

Old 08-21-2008, 09:50 PM   #4
(female)

LindaG40 HB User

Great, now I'm going to be the only one on the boards left with my adenomas still in me!

CJ, take a deep breath and let it out slowly while you count to ten. Now, go to the FNH/Hepatic Adenoma threads and read about the surgeries and recoveries that everyone has gone through. Except for me, I'm still on a "wait and see" plan with my doctors. I know you're scared, we all were when we first found out about these things in our bodies, and then when we were faced with surgery being the only option to remove them. Please know that all of us are here to help and answer any questions you have. I'll say a prayer for you that your surgery goes well and you are home recovering in no time!

Linda

Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 PM   #5
(female)

tinyt3 HB User

Cj,

I have not been on the board as long as the other girls but had surgery eight weeks ago. Mine was open resection and I had 55% removed plus my gall bladder. Like you I was so scared and could not get myself wrapped around the fact that it was going to happen. My case was unique in the fact that my tumor was on the back side of my liver. So I had about 50 staples because they had to take my liver out and flip it over to remove the part with the tumor. Mine was an adenoma. I was in the hospital 6 days and up walking the day after surgery. I had the morphine pump and was out of it most of the time. I remember very little about the first three days after surgery. I started to recover much better after the staples came out. There are some unpleasant details you can read about in the threads from the other ladies if you wish. I did want to know so I could know what to expect. You will do great and be posting on here about all the details soon. Please ask any questions that you need to. We are all sticking around to help the newcomers. I will answer anything that will help ease your mind about your up coming surgery. Hugs and prayers to you.
TinyT

Old 08-22-2008, 11:59 AM   #6
(female)

cjntx50 HB User
Talking Re: Liver Hemangioma surgery Sept. 4th. Hey GIRLS! It's good to hear from you!

I remember you all! I just couldn't for the life of me remember 'names'...must be an age thing....okay...let's not go there. LOL. Mine is in the back area of my liver, too! Under my right kidney area. It bleed once and then clotted up. Since I have been on here last, I have another hemangioma on my 4th lumbar that is making my lower back very stiff and hurts more than anything. My doctor said he wants to focus on my liver first. It was most important. I'll go back and re-read some post that I'm sure will answer tons of my questions. I'm just scared. But I'm sure that's to be expected. I'm 50 years old and this surgery is scheduled on the same day I had my hysterectomy on last year. So, Sept. 4th is a painful memorial...to say the least! Gosh, now I forgot the young lady's name who answered to my post. I'm sorry, I hope you're reading this. You said yours was on your back area. Mine is, too. How did the doctor cut your to get to it? From your mid-section to your back area? I'm not too big of a person and wondering about how much he's gonna cut on me. I'm 5'2" and 125 lbs. I'm wondering if my age and size is going to be a factor in my healing. Will I loose much weight? Guess that's all for now. Save you all the time and I'll go back and read your old post. I'm going to also go to the other site that you all recommended. Hugs! Sure is great to talk to ya all again. It has taken 4 long painful years to get to this surgery date. Geez, the surgeons surely don't like jumping at these hemangiomas to remove them any faster than they have to. Like most of yours, size, how it affects breathing, kidney function...etc... are at there limit and it now needs to come out. Talk soon. cj

Old 08-22-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
(female)

tinyt3 HB User
Re: Liver Hemangioma surgery Sept. 4th. Hey GIRLS! It's good to hear from you!

Hi,
My name is Tina or TinyT and i answered your post. I am cut under my breasts across my rib cage all the way around the side to the end of my stomach. I am 5ft tall but was 160 pounds. I lost 25 pounds from surgery. It depends on the person but I was so nervous before that I lost 10 pounds right after they set the date. It is a huge scar from about 45 staples and stitches. I am 34 and have three children. I think you will do fine. The lady I shared a hospital room with was 55 and had a soccer ball sized tumor on her liver and pancreas removed. She was doing really well and up walking two days after surgery. It is a rough surgery but you do heal fast and once you get through each week you start seeing that you are going to be okay. I hope you have some family support because you will need it. I am hoping I answered all your questions. If not let me know because i am happy to answer anything. Take care
TinyT

Old 08-23-2008, 05:51 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User

CJ-

Just wanted to wish you well on your Sept. 4th surgery.

I don't visit this thread much, but saw the words, liver hemangioma. _ I had one of these taken out laproscopically on aug 12th. Mine was around 4.5cm and was found on CT scan. This was pushing mostly on the stomach and they thought it was a rare GI cancer/sarcoma. I was scared to death, since they thought it was cancer. For me it was a huge relief that it WAS A hemiangioma. - This thing was not giving me any symptoms but was found accidently.

Anyway, good luck and hoping all goes well. I am 50 also.

PS: I did not know that hemiangiomas are alot more common in women. Seems estrogen causes them to form and fuels them to grow.

Leea

Old 08-25-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
(female)

nessie1 HB User

cj

i remeber you too!!!!

click on my name honey and read my experience and how loopy with fear i was before!!! trust me hun if i can do it - you can . i had a 7cm FNH removed from my right lobe in march this year - im doing great and i still have 3 left inside me which we are monitoring! - so linda you are not alone!!!!!!

take care honey x x

nessie x

Old 09-03-2008, 10:14 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

kt8889 HB User

CJ, I just want you to know you are in our prayers tomorrow. Let us know if you have any questions when you get home. We are here for you girl.

Katie

Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #11
(female)

ginger73 HB User

Hi I just found this support group web site.
I have a 16 by 16 cm hemagioma and I am geting it removed on nov 5. It was found during my pregnancy. I just had a baby boy 5 weeks ago. I am very very scared. It makes me more nervous now that i am mom. I have constant pain from it. And I was wondering what should i expect from the surgery, how is the recovery and how is after the hospital stay. do you think i will be able to hold my baby?
Can any one give me some info Thanks you

Old 10-14-2008, 08:55 AM   #12
Veteran
(female)

kt8889 HB User

Hi Ginger, welcome to our club. If you have not found our threads, we have 9 months worth of talking about all of our surgeries and the fun that goes with them. Do a search on healthboards for FNH/Adenomas. You will find our threads that mainly started back in Jan. of 2008. We have posted about everything I think. Then join us in the latest thread (x13 I think) for all the emotional support you need. We have all been through so much and we understand it is hard to talk about liver tumors with other people.
Sorry you have to join our club, but you are one of us now. We will be glad to answer any questions about anything, nothing to too rude.
Hugs to you,
Katie

Old 10-15-2008, 10:22 PM   #13
(female)

ginger73 HB User

Hi Katie Thanks for replying
I am trying to find the info but no luck so far. I will keep trying. I just feel so lost. I thought I had more time to find info. Did anyone had to receive blood, and if so did any family menbers give blood for surgery?
ginger

Old 10-16-2008, 07:41 PM   #14
(female)

neens7982 HB User

Ginger,

If you click on mine or katie's name, you will see our experiences with the surgery. Mine was in December 2007, so you'll have to scroll back to Jan 2008 to read about it. In a nutshell, I was 29 and healthy. My surgery was to remove a 7cm hemangioma that was hitting my diaphragm. It hurt to breathe and I had intense shoulder pain. The surgery lasted 3 hours. They removed the entire right lobe of my liver. I know the surgeries can last up to 6 hours for some people. I did not need blood at all. I do know that if you live near the hospital you can donate blood for yourself if you need it. I live in NM and had to go to TX for surgery, so it just wasn't feasible. I had an naso-gastric tube and a central line. I did not have a drain. My incision rans from by breast bone down to the middle of my stomach and then takes a curve to the right. It is about 12 inches in length. I was in the recovery room for the entire day. I was then moved to my own room. I was in the hospital for a total of six days before I got to go home. In December, it will be one year.

Let us know if you have any other questions.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:05 PM   #15
(female)

ginger73 HB User

Thank you very much for your info it helps
Ginger

Closed Thread