It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2008, 05:18 AM   #1
(male)

gazmix HB User
Alcohol induced fatty liver query

Hi
I've been drinking over the last fiew years more than i should, a bottle of wine, maybe a fiew shots & 2 beers per night!
Mainly to self medicate my anxiety & other lonlyness issues.

I had a 'stitch' feeling some months ago, visited my do, had a Liver function test & all came back ok. ALT, AST, GGT.
The stitch got worse, especially during running & cycling & had another LFT & this time they leaft out GGT & all came back ok, but doc sent me for ultrasound just in case!

I have found out that there is an irregularity in that there is traces of excess fat in my liver & i'm worried & am going to cut down my intake of alcohol, even though me cutting down is still over the safe units.

How near is fatty liver to becoming life threatening or hepatitis, cirrhosis, fibrosis etc.
I was told that raised GGT is what we all get when we have a drink, even if not a regular drinker! Is a faty liver, just raised GGT?

I'm worried & anxious & hope someone can help

Gaz

Old 08-26-2008, 09:40 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

leea1206 HB Userleea1206 HB User
Re: Alcohol induced fatty liver query

It appears that your liver enzymes are normal and that is a very good thing.
BUT the ultrasound did find some evidence of fatty liver disease. - This may suggest you are developing alcoholic fatty liver disease.

I would say if it progresses, at some point it could become permanent cirrhosis and fibrosis of your liver. What does your Dr. say? Does he/she think the fatty liver can be improved by decreasing/dcing the alcohol?

Best of luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 AM   #3
(male)

gazmix HB User

Hi
I saw my doc yesterday & he said that the fatty deposits in my liver are caused by alcohol. He told me that lots of people nowadays have a fat content in their liver because of their diet & it isn't anything to worry about, just to cut down.
I asked him about fibrosis & cirrhosis & he said i'm a long way off that because of what i drink, but i still need to reduce.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:10 AM   #4
(male)

gazmix HB User

I am concerned about my alcohol & feel i'm in denial. My fatty liver that my doc says i have from what the US test showed doesn't seem to have caused any pain, although the awkward stitch type pain i had that my doc said was just stitch has subsided.
I take milk thistle, drink lots of other liquid, eat healthy & regularly exercise, but am still drinking the same quantities as i'm an addict. I've tried AA, advisory services & my doc won't give me campral or disulfram. I realy want to not want to drink but i do want to drink & that scares me.
Will i get symptoms before it gets worse or will i just turn yellow.
I may sound stupid as i know what i should do, but i feel weak.

Old 11-03-2008, 07:12 AM   #5
(male)

gazmix HB User

I am concerned about my alcohol & feel i'm in denial. My fatty liver that my doc says i have from what the US test showed doesn't seem to have caused any pain, although the awkward stitch type pain i had that my doc said was just stitch has subsided.
I take milk thistle, drink lots of other liquid, eat healthy & regularly exercise, but am still drinking the same quantities as i'm an addict. I've tried AA, advisory services & my doc won't give me campral or disulfram. I realy want to not want to drink but i do want to drink & that scares me.
Will i get symptoms before it gets worse or will i just turn yellow.
I may sound stupid as i know what i should do, but i feel weak & scared.

Closed Thread