It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2008, 06:49 AM   #1
(female)

cjntx50 HB User
Smile My Hemangioma Surgery Report (Sept 4th)

I must say I'm so glad it's behind me! Thought I'd give an update about my surgery. Here is a little info on me. I'm a 50 year old female that had a 7 cm hemangioma on right lobe (back side) of my liver. The tumor was pressing against my lung preventing me from using my lung to it's full compacity. The tumor had to come out. I was in surgery for three hours. From there, I went straight to ICU. After being in ICU for about four hours my breathing was four breaths a minute. My lungs filled with Co2 and I had to be put on ventalator (sorry for the poor spelling). I was on the ventalator for 12 hours. After taking me off, my breathing was stablized. Stayed two full days in ICU and the beginning of the 3rd day I was moved to my room. My drainning tube that was placed about five inches right of my navel did not work. All my drainaged drained into my abdomen. I swelled so huge it made it difficult to breathe. Hurt so bad. Very painful. They removed my drainnage tube and some of the drainage came out from the drainage hole. But not enough to relieve the pain. I had to walk and walk with hopes my body would absorb the fluid that was floating inside of me. I wasn't able to have a BM at all. No matter what they tried on me. A BM just didn't happen. I was so misserable and in so much pain! I stayed on a liquid diet which as some of you know....broth, jello, and popcycle. I got to the point I could not even open the tray lid. The smell made me sick. I took vitimin K shots in the fatty part of my arms daily. Another vitamin shot in the stomach daily. Blood thinner in the stomach daily. Potassium in a different IV daily and electrolytes daily...different IV, too. Oh, and a muliti vitamin by mouth, daily. The bloatingness from the fluid was the worse. Breathing with my full lung was the second hardess. Haven't breathed with my right lung fully in five years and it was very sore to breath with it again. I spent 2 days in ICU and 8 Days in the hospital unit. Now home, I am eating soft foods and having to use laxatives, but hey, I'm going and the fluid is almost gone. My breathing is doing better, but not up to par. The surgery was extremely hard and painful. How much of my liver was removed? My surgeon said as much as a softball. That's not too much, is it???. He did not put it in to a percentage range. Only said a softball size. I'm slowly getting stronger. Still trying to stand up straight. Oh, 25 staples and 11 inch incession. Guess that's it for my update. For those coming up for surgery. Don't worry. We all are individuals and I'm sure you will come through just fine. Think positive. I'll be happy to answer any questions that I can. Hugs to you all. cjntx50

Last edited by cjntx50; 09-21-2008 at 02:20 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-20-2008, 06:58 AM   #2
(female)

tinyt3 HB User
Re: My Hemangioma Surgery Report (Sept 4th)

CJNTX50,
I am so glad you came through okay. It sounds like you had it rough and scary. I think us moms hang on for our kids. The bowels and food thing will return to normal. I started having bowels regularly once I got off pain meds. It was 11 days after my surgery until I had a bowel movement. I was miserable and they had me keep drinking myralax. Sorry to hear about the drain not working. Mine did fine but it was sore their for two months. The blood thinner shots in the stomach bruised me for a month. My adenoma was on the back side of my liver making my inscision larger than most. I had 47 staples and stitches along with glue. I am 3 months out of surgery and doing great. You remember it gets better each week. Just don't over do it when you feel better because it will set you back. Thanks for sharing as it is nice to see another one come through surgery. Take care and keep resting. Hugs and thoughts coming your way.
TinyT

Old 09-21-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
(female)

neens7982 HB User

CJ!!! I am so glad to hear you are home!! Sorry for all your complications. I can't help but be glad that I had mine out when I did. Mine pressed on my diaphragm!! Your poor lungs!! I'm sorry to hear you had to be on a ventilator. But a softball size portion isn't too large. The amount of liver I have left is softball size!!

It will definitely take a while to heal up!! It was several months before I felt somewhat normal. Just take it easy because it sounds like you went through a lot. My mom was 61 when she had half of her liver taken out due to complications from a gallbladder surgery. She had problems with fluid too! It took awhile for her body to absorb it.

Hang in there and know that we are all thinking of you!! It will definitely be a process to feel completely well again. It truly is a one foot forward two steps back sorta thing. But then, the bad days will begin to get fewer and farther in between!!

XXOXOXO

Old 09-21-2008, 02:17 PM   #4
(female)

cjntx50 HB User
Cool Re: My Hemangioma Surgery Report (Sept 4th)

Thank you TinyT and Neens for the encouraging words. Thank you, too, for sharing about youselves. It helps to know about other's experience and to know what I may be up against. Right now it's about time. Time to heal. It sure is a slow process. When I went in for surgery I weighed in at 110. When I left I weighed in at 125. That's how much fluid I gained in my abdomen. Remember, I was on a total liquid diet that I wasn't even eating. UGH! My body was extremely thin...except my abdomen. Now, it's getting smaller and my face is filling out. Tmrw (9-22, Monday) I'm getting out my staples. YIPPEE! I can't wait. I still think my potassium is low though. Find out tmrw. It hurts to breathe and feels like I have been beaten up, ran over by a big wheeler, and in a car wreck all at the same time...all in the same area....the right rib area and goes around to my back. How long will that last? It is getting better. But slowly. Hugs to you all. cj

Old 09-21-2008, 08:49 PM   #5
(female)

tinyt3 HB User

Cjntx50,

I am always here to answer any questions and give you encouragement. I depended on these ladies to help me through so it is only natural to give back or pay it forward so to speak. I cried all the time and kept asking my mom when I would get better. By the third week I was ready to get out of the house for short periods of time. Gradually I started doing small things to help around the house. Once the staples came out I did feel better. They hurt when they heal and are ready to come out. I am three months out and I do get tired more easily than I used to but I am feeling more normal each week. When I get tired I just let myself rest and make my family understand. The eating takes time also but something will sound good to you and then taste great. My mom finally made me some potatoe soup and that was the first thing I ate. I was on pain meds for longer than a lot of the ladies but I just had a harder time with such a large inscision. Also everyone is different and heal in their own time. Ask us all anything you want as we are all open and willing to share if it helps. Thinking of you everyday and hoping it gets a little easier as time goes on.
TinyT

Closed Thread