It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #1
(female)

Ebonye HB User
liver enzymes very high

I had some blood work done back in August 2008 ans the doctor said that my liver enzymes were elevated to 200. I went back a couple of months later and now they are at 700. I do not drink and the results for hepatitis B and C were negative. I am not that much over weight but do eat pretty unhealthy. I am worried! The doctors don't know what is going on. Can anyone help me or lead me in the right direction? I have been relatively healthy for 29 years but now, I do not know. Please help me try to understand what is happening.

Old 11-07-2008, 02:33 AM   #2
(female)

curiousk HB User
Re: liver enzymes very high

Hi, sorry you are so worried about this! I had the same problem, so I had a liver biopsy which proved non alcholic fatty liver disease.

I lost 15 pounds on a better diet, with less fatty foods and no fried foods.

Then I started milk thistle; voila! 6 months later my enzymes were normal, and with the improved diet, they are normal 2 years later.

3-4 oz meat, nuked sweet potato or white (alternate) and a frozen veggie and/or salad with fresh veggies of all kinds: zucchine, cuc, radishes, romaine or red leaf lettuce, tomato, celery and carrots. 1 TB olive oil with Mrs Dash non-salt (unless your blood pressure is low, then use salt, pepper, lemon juice and parsley.)

No more than once a week, can eat Stouffer's mac and cheese/her veggie lasagna (delicious, with carrots and zucchine strips in a white sauce; overcook in nuker for 1 min. to get it crispy on top...delicious.

Unsugared cereal with banana and milk, or peanut butter on toast with 1/2 banana for breakfast, or some orange juice. You need potassium (banana) and calcium (O.J.).

For lunch, whole grain bread with low fat mayonnaise and canned chicken (or tuna once a week/mercury concerns); or, as I do, bake 3-4 chicken breasts at a time; put bcue sauce on 2, nothing on one and use the bare one for chopped chicken sandwiches. Freeze the others in separate small freezer bags, use for other meals like dinner.

If you like sardines, buy them in all types and if plain in water, drain, put spicy mustard all over them in the can, and eat with lo-fat, no trans fat Wheat thins...very good.

The milk thistle is so effective, I can't believe the good it did my liver. You know, untreated, it can lead to cirhhosis, a hardening of the liver.

You might try to detox gently too; google it pick a very simple way...it will help rid you of toxins that build up there if liver is not working well.

It is very managabe if you take good care of yourself. Best of luck!

Last edited by curiousk; 11-07-2008 at 02:38 AM. Reason: Wierd typos; it's late, going to bed!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #3
(male)

myring78 HB User

Yes most likely what you have is N.A.S.H ( non alcholic steato heapititis ) It will take a liver biopsy to know for sure.

Sorry to say not much they can do for it but....eat better cut the fat out of your diet is very hard to do.

I have had NASH for 14 years now and my counts never go down but yet I carry on with lack of energy. Maybe I need to try the milk thistle I have heard about. But choose to do nothing not wanting to try and drug it away hoping it wont get worse. They have also done test with the drug Actigal. For now they are having some results with Vit. E which is cheap to try. But dont help much for me.

Good thing is it dont have much pain with it....you just have less energy, and need lots of sleep to let your liver catch up. But for me sleeping 16 hours a day to function right doesnt leave much living left in my view.

So get it checked out if you can afford too.

Good luck !!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:19 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

I agree with the general things that curiousk and myring are saying, but one cannot diagnose NAFLD (the new term for NASH which stands for Non alcoholic fatty liver disease) until other things have been ruled out.

First of all, it is a common misconception that "doctors don't know what's going on". Patients often misinterpret this when a doctor is faced with an undifferentiated problem and is then setting up tests to try to figure out what is causing the problem. These tests take some time--sort of like solving a puzzle--so while the doctors don't know what the exact answer is at this very moment, they know exactly the list of things which it can be and are working to try to establish this.

It sounds like the preliminary work has been done to rule out the more common causes of liver disease which are essentially the viral hepatidides such as Hep B/C. There are however MANY more chronic liver diseases which fall in to all sorts of different categories. Usually a family doctor will do the initial testing, and if stuff hasn't come back positive after the first round, the patient will be sent to someone who is trained in internal medicine. This may be a general internist, a gastroenterologist or a hepatologist.

The list is long for chronic hepatitis and things which make your liver enzymes go that high, and here are some examples:

Infection: Hepatitis B/C, and acutely Hep A, CMV, EBV, certain weird bacteria (have you been travelling out of the country at all?)

Drugs/Toxins: Medications (Tylenol, septra), alcohol

Autoimmine: Autoimmune hepatitis ***VERY important to rule out in young women

Vascular problems: Budd-Chiari disease (hepatic venous occlusion), Portal vein thrombosis.

Infiltrative diseases: Wilson's disease, Hemochromatosis.

Biliary tract diseases: Primary sclerosing cholangitis, Primary biliary cirrhosis.

Enzymatic problems: Alpha-1 antitrypsin deficiency disease.

Chronic granulomatous hepatitis: (can be caused by a number of different weird infections, but also sarcoidosis and foreign body reaction)

So you see how long the list is. If all of those things have been ruled out and there STILL isn't an explanation, the doctor will look at the ultrasound and if there is evidence of fatty infiltration, you may be given a diagnosis of NAFLD or else a biopsy will be done.

Given that huge list of things, you can see why the doctor can't tell you right off the bat what is wrong, but I assure you, s/he is working on trying to find the answer.

PS Actigall is the brand name for Ursodiol which is a drug used to treat people with the condition known as primary biliary cirrhosis. It is specifically mean to treat that disease and is not meant as treatment for other liver diseases.

Last edited by harka; 02-01-2009 at 02:21 PM.

Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 AM   #5
(male)

myring78 HB User

Your counts will very Ebonye. I had mine at 800 once also along with my mother has had her's 1000 before. Both her and I have gotten them down with just better diet. It will take a long time and most likely something you have had your whole life is my guess like my mother & I.

I went thru the Mayo Clinic twice for them do determine that I had N.A.S.H. and they did most of those test cgranulomatis discribes. But like I wrote earlier.....it will take the liver biopsy to determine it. They look to see how much scaring it has left behind in your cells. For me at the time I was 34 got real upset lilke it sounds you are.

The Mayo wanted me to join their study program at the time to be a ginny pig of sorts to test different drugs to see what might help. Is why I mentioned the Actigall is something at that time they were trying. They really wanted me to join as this NASH is something mostly obesse women get is what they told me and is rare for a man to have. So for me I said great never drank a drop or used any drugs in my life & I get a bad liver !!

The reason I didnt join the Mayo program to be tested is its a 2 year study and at the end of each two years you have to have another liver biopsy done. Which after having the first one I didnt think I wanted to more holes poked into it to retrive cell for testing.
Get use to having blood drawn if you want to keep watching what it does. Plus hope you have good insurance as the blood work sure adds up. Plus being studied you have to agree to plysebo pardon the spelling......where they give some of you sugar pills to see if its all in your head, to see what works or not. So didnt sound fun not knowing what you were taking plus maybe giving up time to really take something that would help. So im am kinda on their study..the guy choosing to do nothing and see if thats better. So far I have made it 14 years and im 48. But has dragged on me for years with the last doctor I saw there said when I left and never returned...a little upset I didnt join his study......I asked how long do you think I have..thinking it was bad, he said WEll you should make it to 50. So in two more year I will celebrate the guy was wrong !! But believe me their has been a few times I have thought...boy feeling so weak the darn guy is right !!

The best story is when I was there in the Mayo having my liver biopsy in the same recovery room was a lady that had returned for a check up who had been given a new liver is the last resort....She was a wonderful lady and said OH SON you have the best thing !! I said why is that......OH she said......you have NO pain when your liver quits working you just fall into a comma and unless you get a new liver you dont wake back up. So I asked my Doctor that later. He said yes thats pretty much how it goes....you have about 8 hours so unless your pretty close to a major hospital its pretty unlikely unless you get on a waiting list for a new one. This lady was number 410th transplant at the time and she laughed......That she was lucky....number 409 the famous cleaning number didnt make it they tryed just a half of liver on her. So would be fun to know how many or what number they are up to now.

So hang in there you have a long ways til 50..... (ha) I would just suggest cutting down on the eating out seems to help me lower mine now & then. Plus I never take any kind of pill even if I have a bad headake as everything goes thru your liver to be filtered.

Best of Luck !!

Old 02-05-2009, 08:05 PM   #6
(male)

TommyBoy74 HB User

Are you having any pain?

Closed Thread