It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CW1984 HB User
2 mo. old has slightly enlarged liver...

I took my baby to the doctor this week after noticing that he breathes funny when he's asleep. The pediatrician was examining him and noticed that he breathes hard and heavy. The pedi also noticed that his liver is slightly enlarged and sent us to have a heart echo, EKG, and chest xray done to check his heart and lungs. Everything came back perfect. My son is perfectly healthy (good color, gaining weight and growing, etc.) so the pedi is kind of stumped. He *thinks* when my son breathes, his diaphragm is putting pressure and pushing down on his liver. The cardiologist thought maybe my baby could be fighting off an infection maybe b/c again, all tests are normal and he's healthy. Does anyone have any experience or advice?

Old 01-18-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: 2 mo. old has slightly enlarged liver...

the one thing here that i would actually request,just to rule out this possibility,is having an ultrasound done on his liver,and the kidneys too. to really know for sure that his liver is simply okay,he does need to have it fully evaluated with US. this would show how it actually 'looks' inside of him and how well the blood flow is thru the portal vein as well. there are just some liver and liver/kidney disorders that can be there from birth. my son had one caused by a mutated gene from having a kidney disease called polycystic kidney disease. he had little fibers actually growing in his liver even before he was born. we didn;t have a clue this was even going on since he was seemingly totally healthy and happy til he turned around 12? that is when everything kind of hit the fan and we found out that we all had PKD but my son got hit with that bizzarre mutated version. i and my sister found out at around age 40 that we both had been living with PKD from birth on but just didn;t have a clue since our labs were always okay. is there any family history on either side of your families of ANY types of kidney or liver problems at all?

PKD is actually a very common sort of kidney disease(this CAN affect the liver as well,mine is) but most people who actually have it don;t have a clue til things start changing with kidney labs or liver labs(and this actually happens in the very late stages) or they just happen to have to obtain an abdominal ultrasound for some reason and the charachteristic poly cysts are simply seen on the US. believe me, you just really do need to have that liver further evaluated just to make sure 'it' looks okay.

an enlarged liver can be from many different types of reasons,conditions or diseases,you just need to know what is causing that enlargement. and ultrasound still is the very best way to see that,espescially in a very young child. hopefully this is not a huge reason for that enlargement,but this needs to be looked at soon just so you know. i do wish you all the luck here with this,and hopefully it is just some odd little reason and not something more serious. please let me know what you find out,K? Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #3
(female)

grandma12 HB User

The doctor told my daugther that her 6 week olds liver was slightly enlarged what causes this

Old 01-29-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hi grandma, what i just posted above for the other poster could also pertain to what may be going on with your grandbaby. is there ANY family history on either side of this childs family of any kidney or liver problems that you know of? the baby needs to have an ultrasound to see what the liver looks like. there are a few different reasons that one can have the enlargements of these two organs,unfortunetly it will take some time and testing to actually come up with a true diagnosis of what this particular episode is being caused by. i do hope it is nothing too overly serious. has the baby had ANY bloodwork done to check the functions of the two organs? please keep me posted. and good luck,Marcia

Closed Thread