It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #1
(female)

myraj123 HB User
is a liver biopsy necessary if levels are going down?

is a liver biopsy necessary if levels are going down?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:47 PM   #2
(male)

SNOOKERED HB User
Re: is a liver biopsy necessary if levels are going down?

You need to supply more information: what was high score; what is current level; what other function tests have you had.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-28-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
(female)

myraj123 HB User

In august liver count was 66 then in sept 151 went up to 429 on november 11- went down to 384 november 17 at present time it's 324. Had an ultrasound liver appeared normal - i have no symptoms at all other than the high count. Appears to be going down and i really don't want to have a liver biopsy

Old 01-28-2009, 04:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

You always have to ask WHY the liver enzymes were high in the first place. Having one's liver enzymes go up that high is NOT normal. Sometimes the doctors can find out the cause of why the liver enzymes are up by doing blood tests. If something is confirmed (such as chronic hepatitis C to give an example) a liver biopsy is often done ANYWAY to see how much damage has been done.

In your case, yes, your liver enzymes are going down, but I'll bet you the doctors have done a ton of bloodwork and abdominal imaging for you and haven't come up with a diagnosis. In that case, if there's no other potential cause, it's important to do a liver biopsy to see what is actually going on with the liver and to see if there's any sign of previous or ongoing damage. The advantage of doing this is that if you see ongoing damage you can potentially treat it and prevent long-term liver damage.

Your concern about getting the biopsy with your enzymes going down is an important one, but remember that the more important question is why they were high in the first place and it's imperative to find the answer to prevent problems in the long run.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
(female)

myraj123 HB User

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. Your answer was really one I instinctively knew already but I'm such a baby about needles, hate to go through this but know it's the only way I will find out what's going on. Thanks Again

Old 01-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #6
(male)

SNOOKERED HB User

[/COLOR]
Quote:
Originally Posted by myraj123 View Post
In august liver count was 66 then in sept 151 went up to 429 on november 11- went down to 384 november 17 at present time it's 324. Had an ultrasound liver appeared normal - i have no symptoms at all other than the high count. Appears to be going down and i really don't want to have a liver biopsy
I would think that you should have a biopsi. Did your Dr. test for Hepatitis? What liver count are you referring too... AST, ALT? The acute stage of any hepatitis would seem to be over by now. What is left would be the liver function hurt by the hepatitis.
You must find out now. The sooner you do, the more successful you would be for therapy. While biopsies may be uncomfortable, it will give you the answer your need.
Is your lifestyle is condusive to HepC,B? Meaning excessive alcohol, illegal drug use?

Last edited by SNOOKERED; 01-29-2009 at 07:09 AM.

Old 01-29-2009, 07:41 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

harka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB Userharka HB User

I'm glad I could help. Yeah, let's be honest, the liver biopsy isn't exactly going to be comfortable, but the benefit you'd derive from it now would pay huge dividends in the future.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:02 PM   #8
(female)

myraj123 HB User

no - no alcohol or drugs. I do not have any of the symptoms other than the high liver numbers. I don't look forward to the test, but know that is my only alternative. Thank you for your reply. Appreciate it very much

Old 01-29-2009, 03:25 PM   #9
(female)

myraj123 HB User

I forgot to mention that when I had the scan for the liver, it showed three gallstones. They have never given me pain but wondered if they could be causing the elevated liver enzymes

Old 01-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #10
(male)

SNOOKERED HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by myraj123 View Post
I forgot to mention that when I had the scan for the liver, it showed three gallstones. They have never given me pain but wondered if they could be causing the elevated liver enzymes
I believe the gallstones would have been a scan of your gallbladder. Patients with liver disease often have gallbladder stones.They would not be necessarily be causing the liver pain, but more of a symptom of the disease.

Closed Thread