It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
(female)

legs123051 HB User
Unhappy Severe fatty infiltration of liver

Hi.
I am 57 and I just had an abdominal and pelvic ct scan done to determine why i have blood in my urine. the CT scan shows a kidney stone but it also said in my abdomen there is diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver which limits the ability to detect liver mass. The spleen, pancreas and adrenal glands appear unremarkable and there are no calcified gall stones. they also found a right ovarian cyst measuring 2.4 cmm.
I have been having a lot of cramping in pelvic area and abdominal pain. I was wondering if this is from the fatty liver or ovarian cysts. I am really worried about the cysts.
I know this board is for Liver disorders so i will only ask about the fatty liver.
Does anyone know about this and could it be caused from medication? I have high bp and high cholestrol. i take topral and linsinipril for bp and Zocor for cholestrol. Also take Cymbalta for depression and Xanex for anxiety.
Could these meds be affecting my liver?

Old 02-06-2009, 04:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

estria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB Userestria HB User
Re: Severe fatty infiltration of liver

Hello legs,

Your message came up in my search on ovarian cysts and I can certainly tell you that if your cyst is only 2.4 cms and it is filled with fluid, then it is most likely a normal follicular cyst. Even post menopausal women can get cysts and it is now believed that about 15% of post menopausal women experience this. I imagine that they will want to do an ultrasound in a while to make sure that the cyst has resolved. If not, you may be given the choice of having it removed or having it watched. Just make sure it is a simple fluid filled cyst, otherwise, complex cysts in post menopausal women are usually removed by laparoscopic surgery, just to be on the safe side (the majority of these are also benign).

As for the liver issue, have they considered doing an MRI in order to perhaps get a better idea of what is going on ? The drugs you are taking can all have an effect on your liver as this is where they are processed. This is why you will note that the liver is always mentioned under the side effects of almost all drugs. However, I am not sure if a fatty liver would necessarily result so you will have to go over this with your doctor. Sorry I cannot be of more help on this issue.

I hope you find the answer soon so that you can start to feel better.

Take care of yourself.

Estria

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2009, 09:00 AM   #3
(female)

legs123051 HB User

Dear Estria:

Thank you for your quick response. I dont know yet if my cyst is filled with fluid or not. The CT scan said I had a cyst on my right ovary but now I have to go for an ultrasound i guess to find out for sure if it is in fact filled with fluid.
There are a few things i am really worried about though. The Dr. said I HAD to make the appt for the ultra sound on 2/12. He did say to me that he wanted the ultrasound 4-6 weeks after the CT scan which was done on 1/15. I dont understand the importance of this this.. He also had me go for a CA125 blood test. I know that is to check for Ovarian Cancer.. I am scared to death that this may be what it is. The CT scan did not show any masses in my pelvis area or bladder, pancreas or spleen or kidneys.
Do you know if a cyst of this size. 2.4 cm would cause pain or cramping. Yesterday all day i had severe cramping in the pelvic area. it felt like a bad case of cramps when you get your period (from what i remember.. lol as that was a long time ago..) I went thru my change early. I was in my early 40's.
If it can cause pain does it come and go because today I do not have the pain.
I am driving everyone crazy with this.. especially my boyfriend. I have myself dying.. I keep crying saying i am afraid i wont see my grandchildren grow up. They are 9 and 11 and they are my whole life.
I have high blood pressusre which is getting worse probably because of all the worrying.. I am taking my xanex for the anxiety..
God forbid if i do have Ovarian cancer I dont understand why the CT scan wouldnt have picked it up..
My urologist said my bladder, urethrea and kidneys were ok except for the kidney stone in the kidney. (which is why i had the CT scan done.)
The radiologist didnt even put the ovarian cyst in his final impression at the end of the report. It was just mentioned in the body of the report. I thought maybe that was because he was doing the ct scan for the urologist.
This is what it specifically says about the ovarian cyst.

"There is no large or small bowel dilatation. There is no discrete mesenteric mass.There is no pelvic or inguinal mass or lymphadenopathy. There is a right ovarian cyst measuring 2.4 cm in size"
The above was written in the last paragraph of report. but underneat in [B]bold letter was the following:

IMPRESSION:

Right lower pole renal calicceal nonobstructing caluclus.

Two right renal cortical cysts.

No Hydronephroses, hydroureter, urinary bladder mass or calculus

Severe fatty infiltration of the liver.

I dont understand why he did not put the ovarian cyst in his final impression as he did put the fatty liver and that has nothing to do with what the urologist was looking for. All this was because I had blood in my urine . that was why i had the cat scan done.
I took this report to my GYN because i was concerned when i saw the ovarian cyst on the report and I was feeling crampy. He looked back on a previous ultrasound that was done in 2007 ( taken because i was complaining about bloating). It was not there in 2007.

Thanks again for you quick response and if you or anyone else can give more more input on this i would greatly appreciate.

Margie.

Your message came up in my search on ovarian cysts and I can certainly tell you that if your cyst is only 2.4 cms and it is filled with fluid, then it is most likely a normal follicular cyst. Even post menopausal women can get cysts and it is now believed that about 15% of post menopausal women experience this. I imagine that they will want to do an ultrasound in a while to make sure that the cyst has resolved. If not, you may be given the choice of having it removed or having it watched. Just make sure it is a simple fluid filled cyst, otherwise, complex cysts in post menopausal women are usually removed by laparoscopic surgery, just to be on the safe side (the majority of these are also benign).

As for the liver issue, have they considered doing an MRI in order to perhaps get a better idea of what is going on ? The drugs you are taking can all have an effect on your liver as this is where they are processed. This is why you will note that the liver is always mentioned under the side effects of almost all drugs. However, I am not sure if a fatty liver would necessarily result so you will have to go over this with your doctor. Sorry I cannot be of more help on this issue.

I hope you find the answer soon so that you can start to feel better.

Take care of yourself.

Estria[/QUOTE]

Last edited by legs123051; 02-08-2009 at 09:04 AM.

Old 02-09-2009, 05:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Legs,

The radiologist may not have put the ovarian cyst in his final impressions because these types of cysts are incredibly common and almost never mean cancer. The gyne wants you to go for the ultrasound in 4-6 weeks most likely as a followup, in order to see if the cyst goes away or is in the process of regressing. The CA-125 is standard procedure for post menopausal women and you should not worry about this.

I know exactly how you are feeling. In September of 2007 they found a large simple cyst on my left ovary. Although I am not menopausal (I am 42 years of age) it is quite a large cyst (just under 8 cms). I have been going for regular ultrasounds every six months to keep an eye on it. My gyne says that it is a benign mucinous cyst and if possible I would like to avoid having surgery. As far as I am concerned it can remain there until I die (from something else, of course) as long as it does not cause any problems. I too was sent for a CA-125 even though I have my doubts about the effectiveness of this test. I have read a lot about this subject and evidently an ultrasound with an experienced radiologist is much more reliable than the blood test. The CA-125 can show a high reading when no ovarian cancer is present and it can show a normal reading at Stage 1 ovarian cancer. Keep in mind, however, that the CA-125 have a higher predictive value for postmenopausal women than for premenopausal women.

If you are interested, there is a very good study of over 15,000 women over the age of fifty done from 1987 to 2002 entitled,"Risk of Malignancy in Unilocular Ovarian Cystic Tumors Less Than 10 Centimeters in Diameter" Vol. 102, No. 3, September 2003 in The Journal of American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Here are some reassuring excerpts:

"Of 15,106 women at least 50 years old, 2763 women (18%) were diagnosed with 3259 unilocular ovarian cysts. A total of 2261 (69.4%) of these cysts resolved spontaneously, 537 (16.5%) developed a septum, 189 (5.8%) developed a solid area, and 220 (6.8%) persisted as a unilocular lesion. During this time, 27 women received a diagnosis of ovarian cancer and ten had been previously deagnosed with simple ovarian cysts. All ten of these women, however, developed another morphologic abnormality, experienced resolution of the cyst before developing cancer, or developed cancer in the contralateral ovary. No woman with an isolated unilocular cystic ovarian tumor has developed ovarian cancer in this population."

This seems to imply that having an ovarian cyst has nothing to do with having ovarian cancer and that almost a fifth of postmenopausal women develop ovarian cysts.

Ovarian cyst aside, I also noticed on your report that you have cysts on your kidney .. I believe that most of the time this is also harmless but it is certainly something to discuss with your doctor. The item of most concert, I think is the severe fatty liver. I believe that this can be at least partially reversed with diet and medication but this is definitely something to be discussed with your physician.

I definitely would not freak out too much about ovarian cancer. It is an extremely rare disease. Ovarian cysts, on the other hand, are extremely common occurrences and although they cause a lot of anxiety, they are harmless 95% of the time. Yes I know that that still leaves 5% but just think that by following your doctor's instructions and going for that ultrasound and performing the CA-125 test you are taking the steps necessary to control that small percentage of risk. The blood test should give you results very quickly (within days) and if you are really going nuts, go for a first ultrasound before you do the 4-6 week followup. An ultrasound is much better for visualizing ovarian cysts than a CT scan and the radiologist usually gives you his or her impressions right there on the table (at least mine do). When my cyst was first found, I went to see a gynecologist for an internal ultrasound and then spoke to a second gynecologist and even a gynecological oncologist. It was only after about 5-6 doctors told me that it is nothing to worry about that I began to calm down. We can develop ovarian cancer with or without these cysts and the tragedy is that they don't yet have a test to look for this and find it at an early stage. They are working on it however and there is a test coming up called Ovasure which looks at a variety of markers together to determine if cancer is present. It claims to be effective at finding cancer 99% of the time, however, it is still too early to tell if this is good enough to be given to all women.

I hope I have managed to help you a little bit. Try not to worry and go out and do something that you really love to take your mind off of things for a while. This will do you a world of good. When I think of all of the times I have worried myself sick, I think how much harm I have done to myself .. probably more harm than the cyst that is sitting on my ovary.

Take care of yourself and I hope you resolve these issues with your doctors very soon.

All the best,

Estria

Old 02-09-2009, 04:24 PM   #5
(female)

legs123051 HB User

Hi Estria:

It was nice coming home from a really horrible day at work to find your message. I cant thank you enough for all the information you have given me and the reassurance. I think the main reason i am so afraid that i may have cancer is because i have been dealing with cervical dysplasia now for quite some time, about 10 years. had all kinds of treatments, like cryo , cone biopsy and reacently a biopsy of the affected tissue which came back negative. this was done in Sept. 08 with a normal pap test. I am frightend though because i went to him in sept. as a result of bleeding after intercourse again. ( this is how i find out i have it.) what frightens me is that this was the first time (sept) that i have had any relations in over 2 years . I asked my gyn "since i only know i have the dysplasia because i bleed after intercourse what happens when i dont do anything for over 2 years? I could have it and it can become cancer by the time we find out the dysplasia is back. I was relieved when the biopsy and pap test came back normal in sept but now i am worried that maybe it has spread to the ovaries because of the cyst. Have you ever heard of this happening? where cervical dysplasia can cause cancer somewhere else. especially when the tests on my cervix was normal.
You seem to know a lot on the subject of ovarian cancer and cysts i thought maybe you would know about this.
I want to take this oppurtunity to thank. you again.. You are a very special person. I know you must have helped a lot of people on this site..
I hope someday i can recipricate.
My ultrasound is scheduled for Thursday morning. I will let you know how it turns out.
Please say a prayer for me around 8:00a.m. on Thursday!
My grandchildren want me to come down to Tenn. to visit in March and I am praying that i will be able to do so..
I am so glad I found this board..
Have a wonderful evening.

All the best to you and yours....

Margie.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi legs,

I am glad that I could help.

Cervical dysplasia is not yet cancer. Dysplasia is the process of the cells changing into something else. Of course this is when you want to remove cervical cells and not when they have turned into actual cancer cells. Do you get regular HPV tests as well as the paps ? Certain strains of the human papilloma virus are known to cause cervical cancer and the risk is higher in women who are over the age of 30. This relatively new test looks for the virus and if you test positive for the particular strains that are known to cause cervical cancer, you are retested to make sure that your body has gotten rid of it. If your body has not, then you may need something more than a pap smear, like a colposcopy which looks deeper into the cervical canal. Some people have more difficulty than others at fighting off HPV and perhaps this might be your case. Something like 90% of the population has been exposed to HPV and women under 30 years of age are better able to fight the virus off than older women. This is why it is now recommended in addition to the pap smear. It is a much better predictor for cervical cancer and has a much greater accuracy. Here in Canada it is not yet mainstream and I don't know why (probably the usual $$$$ reason).

You may want to consider beefing up your immune system with probiotics, vitamin C (in supplements and food) and a daily multivitamin. Adding turmeric, onions, garlic and cabbage or cabbage family veggies is also a good idea (broccoli, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and a few other veggies are in this family). I assume that you are not on hormone replacement .. I know that oral contraceptives increase your risk of cervical cancer but I am not sure about HRT.

As for cervical cancer travelling to the ovaries, cervical and uterine cancer usually travels very slowly and cervical cancer would first travel to your uterus. I say usually because there are always rare strains that defy normal progression. The most common types of cervical and uterine cancer travel very slowly (unlike ovarian which is very fast). This is why they are most often caught early before they can do any harm. It is very odd that bleeding is the first symptom that signals another episode of cervical dysplasia. I would strongly encourage you to discuss the HPV test with your doctor.

Your ultrasound on Thursday should give you much more information such as the makeup of the cyst (fluid filled, complex or solid), the size of the cyst, whether it is thin walled or thick walled and whether there are septations .. these are dividing walls, as if there are two or more cysts stuck together. The simpler the cyst is (ie. fluid filled, thin walled with no septations) and the smaller that it is, then the least cause for concern. You may even find that the cyst has already resolved by then (although it usually takes a while for this to happen).

I will definitely say a prayer for you on Thursday. My own ultrasound is coming up on Monday February 23rd and I am definitely not looking forward to it. I hate this kind of anxiety and I am starting to have an aversion to clinics and doctors (yet I know they are necessary). I wish you all the best for your upcoming tests and I hope that everything checks out OK, even with your other issues. Remember, if in doubt, jot down your questions on a piece of paper while you are at home .. don't trust yourself to remember what you want to ask when you are in the doctor's office. Inform yourself and make sure you know exactly what you are facing. In the meantime, help your body to heal itself and get plenty of rest, laugh as much as possible, eat good whole food and move as much as possible .. a nice walk does wonders for your body and your spirit.

All the best to you.

Estria

Old 02-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #7
(female)

legs123051 HB User

Hi Estria:

Thank you for your advise.. especially about writing things down.. I am usually so stressed out when i am at the drs office that i cant remember a thing that i wanted to ask him.
As to the HPV test.. yes I have had that done several times.. i think he also did that in Sept when he did the biopsy and paps and everything came out ok. that is why i am surprised that i still bleed a little after intercourse and he does not seem concerned about it.
One of my co-workers today has given me a name of a female gyn in my area. No matter what the results are I think I am going to her for a 2nd opinion especially on the dysplasia. I have had it off and on for 10 years.
She also gave a a name of a good GYN ONC who practices in a very good hospital here in NJ.

today the weirdest thing happend to me.. I tell you when it rains it pours.. this has happened to me before about 6 months ago also. I worked late tonight so there was only one person other than myself in the office. Suddenly i got these INTENSE cramps and had to run to the bathroom. I sat there for some time with these pains that felt like labor pains. I almost passed out from them and i broke out in a sweat. my face got all flushed and i really got scared. I felt i couldnt even call out for anyone . the pain was that bad. I then had diarhea and the pain finally subsided. It was so frightening. this happened to me once before about 6 months ago and i was home alone. the only thing i ate before this attack was a bowl of grapes. Now i am afraid to eat anything. I hope this has nothing to do with whatever else is going on. I am so tired of going to drs and having tests.

Thank you for the advise on nutrition and vitamins.. I am very bad when it comes to my diet. I know i dont eat healthy and i really want to change that. Do you know where i can find a good diet on-line? I have no idea where or how to start eating healthy. Oh about taking hormone replacement.. I never did that. i never took any thing for my menepause. I just dealt with the hot flashes.. Actually I went thru my change very early. I was in my early 40's. I am now 57 so I have been without a period for a long time.

Estria, I will also say a prayer for you on Monday, Feb. 23rd. I truly hope all goes well with you also. You are such a good person and a caring person.

I wish you the best....

Margie.

Old 02-11-2009, 06:09 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Margie,

Thanks so much for the best wishes regarding my upcoming ultrasound.

Regarding your episode at work, it may very well be that your cyst ruptured as these symptoms match exactly those of a ruptured cyst. You may have had the same thing happen to you 6 months ago but back then you did not know about a cyst (you may have had another one). Some women are prone to growing larger cysts and it does not sound like menopause gets rid of this risk completely. As long as your ovaries are producing some hormones (even in menopause they still put out small quantities of hormones) there is this risk. You will know for sure on Thursday if the cyst is gone and if you had a rupture. Usually after a rupture you will have fluid in your pelvis or cul de sac as they call it (or pouch of Douglas in Europe) although after a few days your body will probably have absorbed it.

As to eating healthy, it is very simple and the less complicated you make matters the better. Limit your carbs (we eat way too many in North America) and increase your fruit and vegetable intake. For example, a good breakfast is a soft boiled egg, a bowl of fruit (I prefer sweet golden delicious apples and when I have more time in the morning, I even boil them with a stick of cinnamon and a few cloves) and a small bowl of probiotic yoghurt (any natural yoghurt will have the probiotics in it .. this is the bacteria that creates yoghurt) with a nice cup of coffee (this I have to have). Add a glass of water with a One-a-day vitamin and another tablet of supplemental vitamin C (one-a-day does not have enough and you can never overdose on this vitamin as it is water and not fat soluble). This will get you off to a good start. If you need a mid morning snack, a few handful of roasted, unsalted almonds with a fruit will do the trick. For lunch, a simple tuna sandwich with another fruit for dessert and for dinner a well balanced meal of some protein (chicken, pork, beef or whatever), a veggie (broccoli, carrots etc..) and a small potato (baked, mashed, boiled but not deep fried or anything like that). Add flavour to your meals by preparing your protein with onions and garlic and various spices such as Turmeric or curry, oregano, parsley, basil, thyme .. the list is endless. I usually mix curry with ginger and cinnamon to get a delicious spice for lamb or pork. Thyme and parsley are a classic for lamb, rabbit or chicken and basil leaves can go in with any of these meats. Add extra flavour to mashed potatoes by adding a smiggin of chicken stock or a bit of olive oil. Use sea salt instead of regular iodized salt as this has more flavour so you can use less of it. If pasta is your fancy then the world is your oyster and you can have pasta with virtually anything. Just eat whole wheat pasta and most important of all, don't overdo the serving size (this is very easy with pasta) .. add more of the accroutrements and reduce the pasta serving. A great pasta combo is to cook tomatoes in olive oil with onions and garlic .. season with parsley, pepper and thyme and then add a bit of goat's cheese and capers at the end .. mix with the cooked pasta and you can even add a bit of parma cheese for good measure. Just watch your cheese portions. This with a nice glass of wine (again watch your portions here as wine is a carb) and you are in heaven.

In general healthy eating means whole not processed foods, modest portion sizes when it comes to protein and especially carbs (sugars, breads, pastas, cookies and any baked goods) and a severe limiting of cookies, cakes, chips and other junk foods. Don't cut these out completely .. just take them only on special occasions .. like at the end of the week if you have been good with your food diet. I also find that keeping a food journal helps .. if you have the time. Add a walk after dinner and I guarantee that you will not only look great but you will feel like a million bucks ! I am living proof .. when they discovered my cyst in September of 2007 this was a wake up call for me and I lost 50 lbs. I still want to loose another 20 lbs to get to my idea weight for my age (42) but this is coming off slowly.

Good luck on your ultrasound tomorrow. Hopefully the radiologist will inform you right away of what is going on. You may very well find that the cyst is gone and that what you experienced yesterday was the cyst rupturing.

Take care and all the best.

Estria

Closed Thread