It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #1
(male)

khandog HB User
new to board need advice about 2 lesions?

i just received this report from the VA...there are 2 lesions at the right lobe of liver.smaller lesion shows enhancement suggestive hemangioma,this remains stable,the second lesionis is de novo and shows early enhancement,there is also late ring enhancement suggesting neovascularity and could represent metastatic disease.naturally a primary maligancy of the liver cannot be excluded.A biopsy may be required ,(due to the location of the lesion close to liver dome the approach may be somewhat difficult)the2 lesions are at the right side of liver one is 6mm,the second is 3.2x3.9cm....with a definite ring enhancement.my platelets are 59000 and i have addisons disease on top of hep C.If any one could help me understand i thank you in advance.Is a biopsy the only way to go?i'm worried i'll bleed out?the only way they can do it is put me out and have ct scan lead them to get the liver biopsy because of the tricky location?My DO says there crazy to do the procedure?i need some help understanding this its all way over my head and level of education. thanks ,Will

Old 03-13-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Jema X HB User
Re: new to board need advice about 2 lesions?

Hi will, I'm not sure if I can help but I can tell u that my liver surgeon wouldn't biopsy my tumour (turned out not to be cancer) because liver cancer can 'seed' elsewhere very quckly. There was also the bleeding risk. I'd go for a second opinion for sure. I wish you luck. Juliet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-14-2009, 04:41 AM   #3
(female)

McRegnal87 HB User

Hi Will
Welcome to the liver board. There are many of us who have been offered different courses of testing and treatment. In the UK the Drs tend to shy away from biopsy because of what Juliet says about seeding the tumor. Seems they are much more likely to do this in the US though. Many of us are living with liver lesions and just watching and waiting keeping blood tests up to date and so on. It is not an easy thing to get your head round but we have all managed it somehow although I reckon speaking from a personal point of view it has made me a little more neurotic! I think you should ask for a second opinion before taking any course of action. It seems that it is very difficult for Drs to make a definitive diagnosis by just looking at scan pictures and there are some on here who had scans saying the growth was benign when it wasn't and many more who had scans that said possible malignancy and it turned out they were benign. So you can see it is difficult either way. Click on any of our names on the board to see what we have been suffering from and what the outcomes have been. The adenoma/fnh/haemangioma board has the most comprehensive list. Sorry can't be more helpful than this but feel assured that you are not alone
Mc

Old 03-14-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
(male)

khandog HB User

to Mc and Juliet,Thanks for the quick return ,Seeding was just brought to my attention and it worries me!This is because of hep C and getting on the transplant list......it's like if i have cancer i get to the top of the list?this sounds crazy but the VA is out there.for all i know it could be practice for there new doctors?i have little to no pain in my liver and my numbers are ALT198...AST200...T BILI 0.90...D BILI 0.50 yes there high .with Addison's disease for over 10 yrs.now and take steroids to stay alive.however,that started the liver #'s to jump along with plate count decrease.i don't know what to do i have no history of cancer,i'm more worried of bleeding out internally.Thanks for any and all feed back i have till the end of the month to think it out .best of health to all, Will

Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 AM   #5
(male)

hepcdad HB User

Hi Wil. We seem to have the exact same problem. I just found this site and I'm probably too late to offer advice to you. I've decided to have a ct-scan guided biopsy even though I was told it was in a difficult spot to biopsy. I too am worried about the bleeding, but i have read there is a type of 'glue' that would stop it. Best wishes for you and I hope you have made the right decision. Mine will be done April 3. April 4th I expect we will both post how well things went for each of us.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:00 AM   #6
(male)

khandog HB User

hi there,i'm glad to hear from you .i canceled my4-1 app. but after thinking it over and over i made the app.for the 3rd.and will do the procedure. this is at the VA in Tampa ,fl. i was told there were rings left in the liver witch means it could be a fungus? this can be treatable? i read on the board about these mushrooms Reesdie i'm sure the spelling is wrong,however since i took them from the health food store my face broke out 1st with hives now i have a rash its been months...my liver rejected them and made it worse so watch what you take ?i read so much about our problem that i would do any thing ? but with addison's disease,low plattlets i should of left it alone .good luck my friend i hope we sail through this....i'll ask about the glue there talking transfussion?what ever it takes it's not in our hands any more?i'll write sat.if i can,but it may take a day or two to recover? your biopsy bud, Will

Old 04-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #7
(male)

hepcdad HB User

Just to show you how similiar our problem is ...my results platelets 102-low, total bili 1.4 high direct bili .6 high. Enhancing lesion 3.2 x 2.3 cm in size ( within dome of liver) second enhancing lesion smaller, within right lobe of liver. First doctor said lesion would be hard to needle biopsy due to location. Second MRI done 4 months later, doctor said biopsy was suggested. I can't understand that one. As much as I'm worried about the biopsy, it's the only way to know for sure if the big one is cancerous. I feel for you having to deal with Addisons on top of all this, you have to be mentally drained. I agree its out of our hands now. If I have problems with the biopsy, then it was meant to be. I hope the lesion comes back benign, it'll be a big relief. If the results say cancer, then I'll deal with that later. It would give us a high ranking on the transplant list. By the way, I stay away from herbs, mushrooms and any thing that I don't know what it is. Oh, that glue I was talking about is supposed to stop heavy bleeding if that were to happen. I really do think we will be ok. Like you said, we'll sail through this..and I too will post on Saturday or Sunday. Again, best wishes. Gary

Old 04-04-2009, 11:19 AM   #8
(male)

khandog HB User

Hey Gary,well i'm done it was a long day 6 hours- 2prep. and procedure then they watched me for 4 hours.to make sure the gel/glue worked and it did,i have light duty/bed rest 48 hours.it's hard to hang out with so much to do but you play you pay.i find out wed. what's up?they had to hit me twice for pain darn location ,he got 6 good slices and put em on a slide right there.they took a long hollow tool jambed it in then used a cutting/graber tool to shave the different sides for there samples?my plate count was 58000,at 50 i would of needed a transfusion boy am i glad that did'nt happen .still sore in immedete area just hope i dont spring a leak.i hope your deal went as well?let me know when you get back up to snuff? in the mean time best regaurds,Will

Old 04-06-2009, 05:40 PM   #9
(male)

hepcdad HB User

Sounds like it was a rough ride but I'm really glad you came through just fine. I hope the results of the biopsy show your liver be just fine. Praying fo you my friend. Mine was scheduled for Friday, and Thursday morning my doctor called. He cancelled the biopsy and said his team of doctors decided I had to have a liver transplant. They feel my liver would eventually have to be replaced anyway, so why have the extra surgery of a biopsy. Testing will begin soon to see if I can handle a transplant mentally and physically. Man, I'm scared to death. I don't know if I should have one, or let nature just take its course. I'll have to make up my mind soon. Take care and I wish you the best.
Gary

Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM   #10
(female)

vocalist1945 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khandog View Post
i just received this report from the VA...there are 2 lesions at the right lobe of liver.smaller lesion shows enhancement suggestive hemangioma,this remains stable,the second lesionis is de novo and shows early enhancement,there is also late ring enhancement suggesting neovascularity and could represent metastatic disease.naturally a primary maligancy of the liver cannot be excluded.A biopsy may be required ,(due to the location of the lesion close to liver dome the approach may be somewhat difficult)the2 lesions are at the right side of liver one is 6mm,the second is 3.2x3.9cm....with a definite ring enhancement.my platelets are 59000 and i have addisons disease on top of hep C.If any one could help me understand i thank you in advance.Is a biopsy the only way to go?i'm worried i'll bleed out?the only way they can do it is put me out and have ct scan lead them to get the liver biopsy because of the tricky location?My DO says there crazy to do the procedure?i need some help understanding this its all way over my head and level of education. thanks ,Will

Old 04-06-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
(female)

vocalist1945 HB User

Hello: What kind of test did you have to verify the 2 lesions?
I have liver damage.........elevated ALT & AST and also iron levels of
471. I understand from the literature that Sjogren's Syndrome (which
I have) can actually destroy the small bile ducts in the liver. And that
is a very serious situation.
It has been suggested that I have a biopsy. Is this really dangerous?
I've never had one but I understand the chance of "bleeding" is very
real.
I am 63 (non-drinker, non-smoker....even though second-hand smoke
over the years)

Old 04-06-2009, 11:21 PM   #12
(male)

hepcdad HB User

My lesions were verified by a MRI. A liver biopsy like any surgery has risks, but before this is perfomed they run simple blood tests to ensure you are capable of proper clotting. The surgery doesn't take long to do, and is not really too uncomfortable at all. They keep you for several hours after the surgery and you lay on your side.

If you have to have the lesions biopsied, that can be a bit more tricky as sometimes their location on the liver can be difficult to reach. Hope this info helps.

Last edited by hepcdad; 04-06-2009 at 11:22 PM.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:14 PM   #13
(male)

khandog HB User

to Juliet,Mc,hepcdad,and everyone else who responded to my thread they found cancer and i've been very depressed.the doctor is using this term chemoembolization as a bridge for there is only 2cm room for growth? i'm not sure what he's talking about and it'll be 4 weeks till i see them again.with regaurd to seeding he said i didn't have to worry about that?it did push me up on the transplant list to21 or 22.......there purposing to put a cath. into my liver and then putting some type of pellets where the cancer is ?at the same time working me up for a transplant because of the cirrhosis.i'm worried i'm not a good canidate for transplant they said i would be interviewed by a SW and it would help if i was married?i have a couple that are my best friends and would give me part of there liver but again i'd bleed out in surgery ?never the less,i have family that could live here or next door and take care of me in shifts?does this make any cents? or am i sounding like a desperate patient. at the same time my brother said RF is widely being used ? again i 'm not sure what it all means......if some of you good people could shed a little light my way it would come back in good karma .it's to bad we didn't spend the last 8 yrs.working with stem cell it seems that's all i'm reading about ... just feeling bad,take care ,Will

Old 04-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #14
(female)

McRegnal87 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by khandog View Post
to Juliet,Mc,hepcdad,and everyone else who responded to my thread they found cancer and i've been very depressed.the doctor is using this term chemoembolization as a bridge for there is only 2cm room for growth? i'm not sure what he's talking about and it'll be 4 weeks till i see them again.with regaurd to seeding he said i didn't have to worry about that?it did push me up on the transplant list to21 or 22.......there purposing to put a cath. into my liver and then putting some type of pellets where the cancer is ?at the same time working me up for a transplant because of the cirrhosis.i'm worried i'm not a good canidate for transplant they said i would be interviewed by a SW and it would help if i was married?i have a couple that are my best friends and would give me part of there liver but again i'd bleed out in surgery ?never the less,i have family that could live here or next door and take care of me in shifts?does this make any cents? or am i sounding like a desperate patient. at the same time my brother said RF is widely being used ? again i 'm not sure what it all means......if some of you good people could shed a little light my way it would come back in good karma .it's to bad we didn't spend the last 8 yrs.working with stem cell it seems that's all i'm reading about ... just feeling bad,take care ,Will
Hi Khandog, so sorry to hear your news, if you're unsure about what your consultant is telling you I feel you should either put your questions in writing or contact him/her via the Drs secretary, write all the questions down and demand straightforward answers in plain English, you could even email them. To wait a whole month without some clear information isn't good enough. As I am based in the UK our health system is a little different- is a SW a social worker? If so I am presuming that they are working on who could look after you post transplant?
Chemoembolisation is where the doctors inject anti-cancer drugs directly into a cancerous tumor. They also cut off the blood supply to the tumor trapping the anti cancer drug just where its needed, the procedure would be similar to the biopsy, I suspect that this is all part of the pellets you mentioned.
Your brother mentioned RF does he mean radio frequency ablation? the Doctors are using this method more often to treat tumours as it can be extremely accurate with good results, meaning they can eliminate the tumor and keep it in check. This method uses microwaves to burn the tumor. Again it is done under ultrasound or scan so that they can go straight to the area affected.That will buy you time while you get further down the waiting list for a transplant. Its similar to chemoembolisation. Sorry I can't help you more- I'm sure there are others on here who know a great deal more and also understand your system in the US. Try to keep positive and good luck
Mc

Old 04-20-2009, 09:54 PM   #15
(male)

khandog HB User

MC,thanks for the quick respond- even my dog khan thanks you for i have been down and feeling sorry for my self.however,your explanation is just what i needed.i went numb when they told me, addison's dosent help plus its hard to be assertive with MD's and social workers...i had tunnel vision,i know you can relate?they didn't offer radio frequency but what ever works?they want to interview my care giver?i have a team of people all willing to do what ever it takes but is that good enough?moreover,i have other medical problems,this may stand in the way.once again thanks for your in put,it really did help .your friend in fla.US .....Will

Closed Thread