It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2009, 03:21 AM   #1
(female)

Sonesta HB User
Abnormal Liver Function Blood Test Result - Please Advise Me!

I am so worried and have had a terrible nights sleep worrying about my 27 year old daughter and would appreciate some advice from anyone who may have a some information regarding an Abnormal Liver Function Blood Test Result?

She is in hospital at moment due to a bad reaction to a lumbar puncture and has ended up with low pressure headaches and as a result has to lay down flat and be on a drip for fluids. This happened last time she had to have a lumbar puncture and although the reaction is very unpleasant, it in itself it is not a serious condition just very painful. She has been diagnosed with a rare but treatable condition known as BIH, which I too also suffer from and this condition causes high pressure in the brain and needs drugs (Diamox 250g 2 times daily) to reduce the pressure etc. If not treated it can lead to vision impairment or even blindness and a lumbar pucture is done to measure and decrease the pressure levels.

However, during a routine blood test she has had whilst being in hopsital an abnormal liver function result has come back and today they are going to peform an ultra sound scan of her liver to see exactly what is going on. Obviously she is quite worried about this and I have tried to reassure her it is just to rule out every possibility but deep down inside I feel sick with worry! Very stupidly I have looked this liver function test result up on google and the word cancer keeps on cropping up whenever I read anything about an abnormal liver function test result being detected! I know it is not the only problem this test can detect and I know I shouldnt have googled it in the first place but I did and now I truly wish with all of my heart that I hadnt done this as I keep bursting into tears and feel absolutely sick with concern now. I know I cannot expect anyone to give me a diagnosis or anything like that but I just want to know if a liver function test result can come back as abnormal and turn out to be something not too serious and if so what other problems can this test reveal besides cancer? Has anyone else ever had an abnormal liver function test result and if so what was the problem?

She is due to have the ultra sound scan at 3pm today and I have rung the hospital this morning to ask when the results of the scan are likely to be back etc and they say it would probably be tomorrow sometime!

Thanks for listening but I just needed to get all this off my chest and in to some kind of perspective!

Last edited by Sonesta; 03-19-2009 at 03:22 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-19-2009, 07:00 AM   #2
(female)

ljantler HB User
Re: Abnormal Liver Function Blood Test Result - Please Advise Me!

Sonesta,
What liver function was abnormal? On routine testing I was showing a high ALT & AST, in researching this I found that 80% of lyme patients have this high reading, which after requesting test yes, indeed I had lyme once again. Maybe, not to worry. Hope your daughter is well soon.
ljantler

Old 03-19-2009, 09:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Abnormal Liver Function Blood Test Result - Please Advise Me!

knowing just what particular lab or labs came up out of range would really help. there are MANY many possible reasons for our labs to be out of range other than cancer,trust me on that one. but the more info you can give the better the advice we can give. i am glad they are doing the scans on her liver. please keep us posted and DO let us know what labs were not normal too. Marcia

Closed Thread