It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-12-2001, 03:20 PM   #1

Timberbeare HB User
Question Stages of Cirrhosis

Hi everyone.

Can anyone tell me what are the different stages of liver cirrhosis? I know that there is 4 stages, but I need to know what are the symptoms of each stage? Any info would be appreciated.
Melinda Biddle

Old 06-15-2001, 03:17 PM   #2

JetService HB User
Melinda, 2 of the symptoms my dad had that I believe were considered advanced were abdomonal & ankle swelling, and hemorrage in his esophagus. I had something to do with his portal vein was blocked and the blood flow basically found a new path and blew out vessels in his throat. I believe jaundice is also a later symptom, but he didn't get that for some reason. Incidently, his symptoms were stabilized and he recovered nicely with lots of meds, dieting and, most importantly, he quit drinking.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-24-2001, 08:22 AM   #3

Lisa35 HB User
Can somebody tell me what cirrosis is? What's the difference between hepatitis and cirrosis? Which one is worse if there's such a thing?

Old 01-09-2003, 02:09 PM   #4

athiena35 HB User
Malinda My father has cirrosis and has started drinking again the symptoms I have seen is jandice in his eyes. Blood won't clot. Development of breast, swelling or bloating in belly and an advanced symptom is lack of kidney function. Hope it helps

Old 01-13-2003, 12:02 AM   #5

Samwise2 HB User
I'm assuming you mean viral hepatitis. It's a virus that "attacks" the liver and causes inflammation. Hepatitis can cause cirrhosis. Cirrhosis is scar tissue that replaces normal, healthy tissue, blocking the flow of blood through the liver and preventing it from working as it should.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:53 PM   #6
(female)

Doris Jones HB User
Re: Stages of Cirrhosis

Hi, I would like to know what the stages to cirrhosis are, prognosis in last stage?

Old 02-17-2005, 06:27 PM   #7

UPSET011 HB User

My father was dx with Cirrohois of Liver. End Stage. He had no idea there was anything wrong with his liver. His stomach kept getting bigger and bigger. He was jaundice. He could not get comfortable. He moved from the bed to the chair to the couch. He had no appetite. He could barely eat drink or function. The doctor later told us that him moving from the couch to the bed to the chair was a chemical inbalance in the brain. His kidneys failed. Once he was dx in 9/2004 we had no idea what to expect. He passed away Jan. 26, 2005. Once he go to the stage stomach bloated and jaundice there was NOTHING! NOTHING! THEY COULD DO FOR HIM. Yes!! I am angry! We kept telling all of his doctors about his drinking and not one mentioned that he should have his liver looked at. All they wanted to talk about is Leukemia and Smoking. They believe he had leukemia which has the same symtoms but I believe he had Cirrhosis of the Liver. The day he was dx. he never drank again. If they would have dx him earlier he may still be here. He told me this was the worst thing he had ever been through and that if he knew alcohol caused this he would not have drank.
Maybe these talk show host should talk about this along with drunk driving.

Old 03-02-2005, 12:41 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

I can answer some of these questions. There are 4 stages of cirrhosis. With 4th being the most severe.
No cirrhosis and hepatis are not the same thing..... Cirrhosis is actually liver damage, that is in most cases irreversable. Cirrhosis can be a result of any liver problem. These problems can include viral hepatitises, autoimmune hepatitis, pbc, psc, alcoholism, or any other disease or disorder that can harm the liver.

It does not matter how you got liver disease, if it was behavioral, or like PBC,PSC, or autoimmune hepatitis, a disorder that may be linked to genetics, or other factors, you may still end up with cirrhosis if the disease advances and the liver is damaged. Hope that helps.

Old 05-10-2005, 11:09 PM   #9
(male)

jay101 HB User
Thumbs up Re: Stages of Cirrhosis

its amazing we can go through our life not knowing whats really going on in our bodies. i believe too, it doesnt matter how one got these diseases,but how we deal with them today todays prognosis ... im writing this. good luck

Last edited by jay101; 05-10-2005 at 11:33 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to jay101 For This Useful Post:
shaunahagen (01-03-2011)
Old 05-12-2005, 06:34 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Hey upset?So sorry about your dad.It truely is a horrible way to die.i watched my then 12 year old son slowly die for many months and it was hidious.He was at status one on the list and had only like a day or two left when we recieved the most wonderful gift in the world.I just wanted to ask you if you don't mind.Was your dad ever presented with a transplant as an option?I am rather suprised.unless he was and you just didn't mention it.You have my sympathies.Marcia

Old 05-12-2005, 07:58 PM   #11

UPSET011 HB User

Feelbad,

Transplant was not a option. Dad had leukemia. They could not give him a liver transplant or a bone marrow transplant after he ended up with the cirrhosis. He was in a awful situation. His death still haunts me every day. I am not sure I will ever get over it.

Thanks

Old 05-17-2005, 05:31 PM   #12
Inactive
(female)

OhioMOM HB User

most transplant centers will not allow someone who is a chronic drinker to receive an organ. the recipient would have to be clean for a period of time, this could be 6 months or more.... i just watched a man be rejected by a leading center because he could not control his drinking for long enough to qualify... centers will only give cadavers with people who show the best shot at a long term outcome... there are several criteria in this evaluation... blood tests, psychological tests, surgical evals that show whether the candidate is even healthy enough to withstand the surgery and more......

people with cancers have a tough time too, especially if there is cancer in places other than the liver itself.

Closed Thread