It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2003, 02:01 PM   #1

acalhoun HB User
Red face HIGH ALT, GGT & ALKALINE PHOSPHATASE LEVELS; NEED INFO. FAST!!

My Hepatic Function Panel came back high and keeps elevating:

ALT is 105
Alkaline Phosphatase 173
GGT 428 (it has doubled in 3 weeks)

There is talk of a possible bile duct blockage or liver issues. Has anyone had this before??

Old 01-15-2003, 10:29 AM   #2

Kimee129 HB User
I have the same problem with the elevation and was recently diagnosed with NonAlcohol Induced Fatty Liver. It was diagnosed useing a CT scan, Liver Biopsy and Ultrasound. You may want to have your Dr check these out. Never fear...it is non life threatening, but does require some moderation of diet, alcohol consumption, and no Ibuprofen or other liver toxic drugs. It is reverasable. Good luck.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-16-2003, 02:32 PM   #3

acalhoun HB User
You are correct. I just found out that I may have NASH or Primary Biliary Cirrohsis. Thanks for the info. How have you dealt with it??
I have had an ultrasound already which showed no fatty liver, lesions, etc. The doctor said I may need to get a liver biopsy to determine if I have NASH or an ERCP to determine if I have PBC.

Old 01-18-2003, 08:06 PM   #4

Bitsy HB User
My Blood work came back w high GGT (323). What is it??? I don't drink, altho take alot of Tylenol, but the Doc says the tylenol i take is not enough to cause the GGT to elevate that much. What do I do. I have no other high liver enzymes. Are there any tests I can take to make sure everything is ok or an symptoms I need to be aware of?
Thanks

Old 01-21-2003, 08:03 AM   #5

acalhoun HB User
High levels of GGT can be brought on by certain antibiotics (Augmentin) and/or Ibuprofen. I would recommend you see a gastroenterologist. When I was referred over to mine, he was an abudance of information on this topic. I highly suggest it.

Additionally, asymptomatic elevations of liver tests are a frequent cause for consultation to a gastroenterologist or hepatologist. There are many possible causes. Fatty liver, alcohol related liver disease, problems with the bile ducts are among the common cuses for these elevations. Although we usually do not find a serious cause for this elevation, it is necessary to do some tests including an ultrasound of the liver and bile ducts. Sometimes, a liver biopsy is needed for a definitive diagnosis. I suggest that you talk with your doctor about seeing a gastroenterologist

Closed Thread