It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2003, 01:51 PM   #1

franniemoe HB User
Post fatty liver--new here

Hello everyone. I have many of the same fears and symptoms as a lot of you out there. I developed RUQ pain in 1997. I have been drinking beer since my 20's(I am 37 now.) I also at the same time had what I thought was fybromalgia. I went from dr. to dr.complaining of my symptoms and being honest about my alcohol intake. After blood work and numerous radiological procedures I was told I was fine and maybe it was depression! I was sooo frustrated! Ironically I began to drink more because it was the only thing that dulled the pain and eased my anxiety. Flash to now. I went to a new Dr. with my same symptoms and he also kept telling me there was nothing wrong with my liver according to the blood tests, but I went to the ER one night and got an ultra sound. When I picked up the prints it said"fatty liver". I never would have known if I had not picked those up!I then went for a complete physical and blood work up with this new guy and everything came out perfect I think. AST--17, ALT--13,alk phos--37. MCV and MCH were a couple points high and A/G ratio was 2.1. I still drink, but not as much and the anxiety that I have cirrhosis is killing me. I am aware that liver function tests can be perfect and you can still be in bad shape.I am going to a gastro tomorrow. Thanks for listening and sorry so long. Is there anyone out there who can relate? By the way I am tall and on the lean side so the fatty liver is definitly due to alcohol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-09-2003, 05:12 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
I don't know who told you that a fatty liver means chirossis but that is not true..chirossis is irreversible and a fatty liver can be reversed..sometimes in only 3 weeks..it can lead to chirossis but it does not mean you have that..Lisa

Old 06-09-2003, 05:50 AM   #3

franniemoe HB User
Thanks Lisa. I read that fatty liver can only be really diagnosed for sure by biopsy and that it actually can be a more advanced stage of liver damage than what's seen on ultra sound. I am just scared as hell and can't wait to get to the bottom of this so I can quit the anxiety and start a new healthier lifestyle. I don't drink as heavy as I used to but it is hard to totally abstain because in my social circles there's always alcohol. And I am afraid that because I have been self medicating so long that way that i have formed an addiction.Yesterday I went to a grad party and only drank water for most of the day and then I sipped on 6 oz. of wine for 2 hours and went home. Of course I couldn't sleep because I didn't numb the anxiety. I know I have to learn other ways to do so for my health. Does anyone have any advice on how to calm the nerves without a drink? Maybe after I see the gastro today he'll give me some info that will scare the sh** out me and I will find something real quick!

Old 06-09-2003, 06:47 AM   #4
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
I know it scared me too..I cried myself to sleep every night when I found this out..I drank every night but only wine with dinner and sometimes a martini..I have only done this for about a year..before that i drank on weekends because of social gatherings. I am an athlete and workout and eat healthy all the time for years so i thought no way would the wine hurt me and i was always honest with my doc about it and he said it is an anti oxidants if you drink 2 drinks a night. plus my hubby and I make our own wine...boy was that a bunch of crap that i could have a drink or 2 at night, for me anyway..My Gastroenterolgist swears that my fatty liver is from the high cholesterol and high BP...I got a CT scan with the IV 3 weeks ago and saw that it said fatty liver and then went to a GI man last week..he thinks I am going to be fine and I will see him again next week...he sent me to have more blood work and he said he doubts it but there is a small chance that I may have to have a liver biopsy..but he thinks that from my history it is not from hepatitis and these tests will tell that..I was so scared and stopped alcohol altogether..I cried so much. I have not had a drink since last Monday and that was a glass of wine.

Try exercising and running and weight training it always helps with stress..I have to say that I had no problem stopping the alcohol..I love life and want to do everything I can to stay around for myself, my daughter and my hubby. Life is so much more important to me than a drink..Try O-douls..the GI did tell me that he did not want me to have any drinks until all these tests were over..No problem for me but I do not want to be told that I can never have a drink again in my life like on vacation or special occasions..no one wants to hear that you are forbid to do what you want...please stop the drinking now and get your liver in shape you owe it to yourself..good luck and please keep me posted and I will also keep you posted..remember woman have less resistance to alcohol than men..so they can drink way more than us and not get any of this..Lisa

[This message has been edited by Moxie75 (edited 06-09-2003).]

Old 06-09-2003, 06:47 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
double post..sorry

Old 06-09-2003, 09:13 AM   #6

franniemoe HB User
you are right Lisa. Alcohol is NOT important in the scheme of things. I have 2 beautiful boys and a great husband to be there for. I should start to work out and stuff like that I have heard that it is the ultimate way to balance yourself mentally and physically--even spiritually in some cases. Thank you for the encouragement. You sound like you will definitely come out of the woods with this thing. Good luck and I will keep you posted on what my gastro dude tells me today. It better not be another run-around! Thanks-Laurie

Old 06-09-2003, 09:02 PM   #7

franniemoe HB User
Hi to Lisa and anyone else who might get something out of this. I went to the gastro guy and told him everything, showed him the radiologic stuff and told him I just want to get to the bottom of this whole thing(thank God he isn't a proctologist--he probably would have thought I was being punny(haha)--anyways... He said "your blood work looks good so far, you do not have yellow eyes, you do not have a bloated belly and you have your brains about you, so this must be something we have to investigate." I am happy that he is not sending me off and I mentioned the fibro. He said that it might be that or colon....OR LIVER. I will keep posting. Hope I can help someone else through this and visaversa--Laurie

Old 06-10-2003, 04:59 AM   #8
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Laurie,

I'm pluggin for ya..keep me posted, Lisa

Old 06-11-2003, 04:24 PM   #9
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Well i just got back from the GI man and got a clean bill of health..He said "your fatty liver if in fact u have one becuase CT scans are not 100 % accurate" is not caused by alcohol and is caused by high cholesterol and high bp.

He said i lost 4 lbs since last week and wants me to stay away from fatty foods and carbs the bad carbs..that's easy i told him since i don't do candies or cakes or bad fat anyway. I will stay away from the white flour and pasta though.

He also said my liver enzymes were down and all my liver functions are normal. Apparently there is a test he did called the GGT that tells if you have an alcoholic fatty liver and mine was not reflecting that.

He said there is no reason to treat me since this is reversible and wants me to get my high lipids down (LDLs).

He also said if in fact i do have a fatty liver and the only way to test would be a liver biopsy (no thanks) people live with this for the rest of their lives with no issues..wow what a relief, Lisa

Old 06-12-2003, 03:16 PM   #10

franniemoe HB User
Lisa, that is awesome, you must feel so relieved. I have to go for more blood work tomorrow--ANA,ceruloplasmin, ferritin, iron/TIBC, rheumatiod factor, hepatitis screening, and protein electrophoresis--jeeze! I guess he is thorough and I am so happy. My GGT was good the last time so he said I may be fine afterall. Even if I am, i am never going to drink over moderately ever again. I hope you continue to feel better!--laurie

Old 06-13-2003, 05:34 AM   #11
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Laurie,

I hear ya about the drinking. I asked the doctor about that he said when you liver enzymes return to completly the normal range i can have a glass of wine with dinner every night..I said i am only looking to have a drink or 2 on vacation and on weekends..he said same thing just no binging..I told him I never binged anyway..after 2 i'm done I never could hang with the big boys with booze anyway. I know you will be fine also..have a great weekend...Lisa

Old 04-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #12
(male)

andycharnell HB User
Re: fatty liver--new here

Hi my name is Andy, i live in the Wolverhampton in the uk and have just been discharged from hospital after having a colonoscopy and an abdominal ultrasound scan. They have told me that amoungst other things that i have a fatty liver though i dont drink but only on special occasions and have not touched alcohol since early december 05, as i have read your other posts on this group i know that i share the same feelings of fear for what the future will bring, i have always thought i was quite healthy and dont eat rubbish food and im not over weight, freinds and family tell you not to worry but how do they know how it feels as its not them its effecting?
I have read that there are things you can do to help but i did speak to the doctor incharge of the ward asking if there was anything that i should avoid and and were there any life changes i should make and she said no? Not taking this lying down as it were i have sort help from the net to maybe talk to others that are going through the same thing and i hope that we can help each other through this!
Thanks for listening and i hope to tak more on this soon!
Andy

Old 04-22-2006, 05:11 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pika HB User

My GP told me today. Fatty Liver cannot go away. It stayed forever.... I hoped this is a joke....

I never drink alcohol or beer at all. Mine one was discovered after few months of taking heart medication. Ultra sound showed that. Now my stomach is bloating up. TCM practitioner wanted to do a liver function test. It showed ALP:106 (20-105). ALT & AST are in the normal range. Ferritin:5 (15-165). Iron: 3 (7-27). Anyone knows what it means? I'm very scare.

Pika

Old 05-06-2006, 03:33 PM   #14
(male)

Dakkon HB User

I am 27 years old and had routine blood work done which came back showing high iron levels. He tested me for all kinds of Hep. since I do have tattoos just to rule that out, but he also asked me about how much I drink. I told him only on the weekends and that I have about 15 beers on a Sat or Sun watching football with my friends or playing cards. He said that was too much and I could have a problem with my liver. He set up a Ultra Sound and sure enough it came back showing I have a fatty liver. I have to go back this week to hear what my doctor has to say on the situation but I have been trying to find stuff out online. To be this young and hear this news does it mean I can never drink again or does it just mean instead of having 15-20 beers in one outing I should cut down to a six pack? I dont want to kill myself but I know many people who drink everyday and have a serious problem and they did not get the bad news I have. I hope someone can give me some worth while advice I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you all for your time.

Old 05-14-2006, 09:14 PM   #15
(male)

rtucker71 HB User

Just a quick one.. I got a diagnosis of a fatty liver about 8 months ago, and about 10 years ago I had Hep B. Now, all the Hep antibodies are gone from my bloodstream, and my liver tests normal. But I'm sure you have that "feeling" inside sometimes and think that "Oh God, it's the liver again....anxiety anxiety anxiety"

All I can say is to live healthy in all aspects to the best of your ability.

If anybody feels differently, I would really like to debate it (healthily)

rMT

Closed Thread