It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-24-2003, 10:50 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Question Inflamed liver

Hi Everyone, I went to the doctor today to have my thyroid checked. My doctor felt my stomach, which has been having a little pain under my right rib. She said my liver is inflamed, I'll be going tomorrow to have some blood work done for my thyroid and liver. My grandmother died of liver cancer many years ago. My uncle died of lung cancer. I will be having a full blood screening. They will be testing for everything. I'm just curious what would cause a liver to be inflamed. I don't drink or do drugs. I had my gallbladder taken out a while back. The doctor did the new surgery because he only found 3 gallstones. When he took the gallbladder out he told my mom I had well over 100 of them. Had he known I had that many he would have done the old fashion surgery. He said he wouldn't be suprised if any fell on to other organs as he pulled it out. Do you think it could be inflamed from something like that? Any help would be appreciated. Becky

Old 07-25-2003, 04:02 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Holly,

are you overweight I do not mean just really overweight you can be just a little overweight and have a fatty liver? the only way to really diagnose a fatty or inflamed liver is to do a liver biopsy and even then they are not always 100 % accurate. Meds can cause this and so can being overweight. Also hep and maybe something else. Foods eaten, there are so many reasons but if it hurts to touch, the next series of tests are to get in a see a GI man/woman and then get a CT scan with the dye and do further liver function tests and do not do a biopsy until it's the last alternative. good lucka and keep us posted, Lisa

------------------
ON THE WAY TO CAPE MAY!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-25-2003, 05:47 PM   #3

Little Wing HB User
The gallbladder helps metabolize fats in the diet. Whatever was causing your gallstones, could very well be harming your liver in absence of the gallbladder. I would recommend a low fat diet. Wishing you the best

LittleWing

Old 07-25-2003, 09:12 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi, Thanks for your replies. I am a little over weight. I do have pain under my right rib. It hurts when my kids even hug me. I went for blood work today. The lady told me my blood pressure was low and so is my pulse rate. The guy already came to get the blood taken today, but she says I need to get the results as soon as possible so she was going to deliver it herself. She said being my bp was low that she would make sure my doctor gets the results tomorrow since my doctor is open on saturdays. When I find out the results, I will be sure to let ya'll know. Becky

Old 07-27-2003, 04:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi, I had my blood work done. They faxed it to my parents office. I will bring it to my doctor tomorrow so she can read the results. There are a few flags marked. My platelets are really low, my polys are high, my monocytes are low and my cholestrol is high. What blood test do they use to check your liver? Thanks !!!!!!! Becky

Old 07-28-2003, 05:38 AM   #6
Inactive

projapoti HB User
To check your liver, they check something called transaminases..if these are elevated, it usually means your liver is inflamed. Depending on which ones are elevated, it could mean that the actual liver tissue is sick and that's why your liver is inflamed, or there is something blocking your liver's ducts, and that's why it's inflamed. The enzymes are AST, ALT and GGT. Usually, if the first two are high and the third one isn't, it means your liver tissue is actually sick....if only GGT is high, usually it means a stone or something.

Other tests for liver function include total albumin (the liver produces proteins) and also something called INR (international normalized ratio) which is a test to see how fast your blood clots. The liver produces vitamin K dependent clotting factors (II, VII, IX & X), so if the liver is sick, these won't be produced as effectively and your INR will be higher.

Things that can cause hepatitis (i.e. inflamed liver) are hepatitis viruses, systemic diseases, lipid dystrophies (problems producing lipids), certain drugs, alcohol....etc. (this list is by NO means exhaustive)

Someone mentioned "fatty liver". Most of us who drink at all will have some type of fatty liver, which is not necessarily a bad thing because it goes away once you stop drinking. There is something called NASH (non alcoholic steatohepatitis) which is a fatty liver inflammation in a person who claims to not drink at all. It isn't very common, but it can happen. I'm not sure if you necessarily need a biopsy just yet (it also depends on how aggressively the center that you will be treated at, treats its patients). I'm curious to hear the results of your liver screen. Let us know!

Old 07-28-2003, 02:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

hollygirl05 HB User
Hi Projapoti, I went to my doctor and she said my blood test look fine. She felt my liver again and it still hurts there. She said my liver itself is fine. I'm going to have an abdomen ultrasound pelvic ultrasound and an upper Gi done. I will also have an endometrial biopsy done to find out why I'm having really heavy periods every 2 weeks. I never have pain with them. I think the biopsy checks for pcos and endometriosis. I'll keep you posted. Becky

Closed Thread