It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2003, 05:25 PM   #1

Gableyabley HB User
Question high liver enzymes an anemia

My 16 year old daughter has been diagnosed with high liver enzymes and low red blood cells they are doing a blood work up on her now; had an ultra sound; nothing there ;not all blood work is back but, if nothing shows on the blood work the doctor still wants to do a liver biopsy.My question is what will the biopsy possibly show that the blood test doesn't?Could she still have Wilson's disease or autoammune disease or even cancer that doesn't show in blood work? Hope someone can help I'm tiered of the doctors probing my daughter it's been very stressful for her.But I know it has to be done.

Old 09-30-2003, 06:49 PM   #2
Inactive

projapoti HB User
Quote:
My question is what will the biopsy possibly show that the blood test doesn't?
Yes...absolutely...though the blood test can show evidence of a process that might be going on with the liver, it often doesn't show anything, and to get a definitive answer of what's going on with the liver, you have to go right to the source and take a look at the tissue. Another thing a liver biopsy can tell you that a blood test can't is that, IF there is sign of the disease, they doctors can stage it and then proceed with the treatment from there. (Depending on which stage a given disease is, the treatment may be different).
Quote:
Could she still have Wilson's disease or autoammune disease or even cancer that doesn't show in blood work?
Yes...it's all still possible, but unlikely. Wilson's disease usually shows up in blood work as a low ceruloplasmin level. Autoimmune hepatitis is uncommon, but it may not show up in the blood. Cancer is unlikely not to show up in the blood because the most common liver cancers feature a high level of something called "alphafetoprotein" (aFP) which is usually present if there's liver cancer. Besides, liver cancer is very uncommon in younger individuals.

I have a question for you....why were the doctors doing all of these tests to begin with? Was she having liver troubles?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2003, 04:15 AM   #3

Gableyabley HB User
when she was 12 I took her in for a physical so she could play on volley ball team that's when they told me something was wrong with her blood they tested her for Thallasemia which came back negative then they tested her thyroid which came back negative.After a 24 hour urine and a MRI of her thyroid and a bunch a blood test they told me to bring her back next year.But I didn't until she was 15 then she was diagnosed with high liver enzymes.Come to fine out she had high liver enzymes when she was 12 but nobody said anything to me. If it's not wilsons or autoamunine hepatitus or fatty liver any idea what it could be?

[This message has been edited by Gableyabley (edited 10-01-2003).]

Old 10-01-2003, 02:50 PM   #4

Andrea Jernigan HB User
Which liver enzymes were high? Had she ever been on Ritilin? My son was just diagnosed with high liver enzymes twice and ha been on Ritilin for years. He is now twelve. I'm just curious if it's the same enzyme. If so, maybe we can learn something from your experience. Wish I could offer some help to you. What's your daughter's name? I'll certainly pray for her if okay with you.

Old 10-01-2003, 04:10 PM   #5

Gableyabley HB User
no she has never been on any medication ever.her AST and ALT both are high.Thank you for your prayers.

Old 10-03-2003, 01:50 PM   #6

moni57 HB User
Question

your daughter's problems sound very similar to mine. Does she have any symptoms that show? is she in pain? Does she suffer from fatigue?
does she have elevate bilirubin? or ALK PHOS enzymes? Has she ever?

Closed Thread