It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2003, 07:36 PM   #1

daughtergrneyes HB User
Exclamation Sphincter Of Oddi Dysfunction/ Normal pressures in ERCP

Hi. I am really hoping someone can help me with my issue. I had my gallbladder removed in 2000 and within four months I was still having attacks but more intense. It wasn't until this year during an attack that sent me to the hospital that the ER doc decided to do more blood testing. My liver and pancreas levels were elevated. Long story short, I went for my first ERCP and they could not enter the common bile duct. He then sent me to MUSC and they got in without a problem. The pressure in the sphincter was also normal the second time around. They did go ahead and injected the sphincter with Botox and placed a stent in the Sphincter. He said he still believes it's SOD Dysfunction but wants to be certain. The Botox will wear off in three to four months and if I have an attack after that time, he will go in and cut the sphincter. If I have one before then, he said we need to look at other things also. Has this ever happened to anyone else and it still be Sphincter Of Oddi Dysfunction???? http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/confused.gif

Old 10-01-2003, 07:10 AM   #2
(female)

mswcdm HB User
I tohave been to MUSC for and ERCP. I had my gall bladder out 4 years ago. Within a year of having it out I was having pains again. My GI doctor in Green***** sent me to MUSC where I had a sphincterotomy and stent placed. I was okay til last October. I have a new GI Dr. here in Green***** and one of the Drs. in her group does ERCP's right here in town. I had one in March of this year. They did a sphincterotmoy again and placed the stent. The stent was removed after two weeks. I am having pains again (have for the past 3 months) I go back to the Dr' later this month so I'll see what she recommends.
The botox treatment is something I have not heard of before for this problem. I would be interested to learn more.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-01-2003, 09:06 PM   #3

daughtergrneyes HB User
Hello. It's good to finally have a response. Did your doctor at MUSC find high pressures. Mine said it was normal but I had a massive attack during a ERCP here in *p****n****. I believe we live in each other's back yard. Anyway, when they did the ERCP at MUSC, it was fine. That's why he did the Botox and Stent. I went to my GI here recently and he was mad at what the MUSC doctor did. Basically the MUSC doc knows it's SOD and admitted to the fact. He was wanting to see how long the effects of the Botox would last. But he presented the reasoning to my doctor here as being I'm young with a infant child. He said it runs such high risks, he wants to wait a little longer. Five weeks after returning, I had an attack. Now the MUSC doctor said if I have an attack within three months after the Botox, it's not SOD. The thing with the attack I had and have had one more is I don't hurt. I can literally feel my upper stomach,lower chest caving in to the point where I have trouble expanding my chest. When talking with my GI doctor here I meantioned the feeling I had and he said he was sorry to say it's the Botox wearing off. He said it would be a extended thing and not hurt with attacks for a while or it could wear off rather rapidally. Like I said I don't hurt but I know it's happening. The last three days, I've been real nauseated and unable to eat regularly.

Old 10-03-2003, 06:47 AM   #4
(female)

mswcdm HB User
I had high pressures when I was MUSC. That was 3 years ago. The most recent one I had done was in Green*****, SC as I told my Dr. I did not want to go back to MUSC. At MUSC they didn't really seem to want to do the ERCP because I "didn't fit the picture" of someone having SOD. I told them that my DR. here thought I did and I wanted to go through with the test. They then tried to scare me out of it by telling me all the possible adverse thingsa that could happen. My current GI DR. here is great. She really listens and is willing to have me try different meds and keep a close watch on me. I also have Irritable Bowel Syundrome which is no fun. I can tell you where every restrooo is in the stores ago to where I live. I to belive we live near each other, since we've both been referred to MUSC.

Old 10-24-2003, 08:51 AM   #5

vsdean HB User
It seems I too am a neigbor as I am in Anderson... I have an appt at MUSC in 10 days/ I had my gallbladder removed in June of this year and continue to be unable to eat without sever ruq pain following from about 1hr or so after for up to the rest of the day. As I read your postings, I must tell you I am somewhat apprehensive about the appt. Which Dr. did you see at MUSC and it is worth the risk of the procedure for the help that will or will not be gained?

Old 10-29-2003, 01:38 PM   #6
(female)

mswcdm HB User
Talking

I saw a Dr. Patel at MUSC. Since I didn't "fit the picture" of someone with SOD they were reluctant to procede with the ERCP. I let them know I wanted to go through with it since my Dr. in Gville thought it was warrented in my case. My pancreatic duct was stenosed (to narrow) and my pressures were to high. That was in Dec of 2000. I have since then had aanother ERCP and am schedules for one on December 1. I think it is worth the risk but I won't go back to MUSC since there is a Dr. here locally who can perform the ERCP.
Good luck with you appointment.

------------------

Old 12-22-2003, 09:45 AM   #7
(female)

mswcdm HB User
Re: Sphincter Of Oddi Dysfunction/ Normal pressures in ERCP

Had my third ERCP with sphincterotomy and pancreatic stent placement on December 1, 2003. Told by my GI Dr. that they can't keep repeating this procedure and that if it doesn't work this time I will have to see a surgeon. The stent will be left in for 6 weeks this time. I go back to the Dr. 1/5/2004 to discuss when the stent will come out and possible future ways to deal with this problem.
Has anyone out there had multiple ERCP's with stent placement?
Just the thought that I may need surgery makes me unhappy.

Closed Thread