It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-07-2002, 01:40 PM  

APJ1 HB User
Post Lower right pain below rib cage

For the past couple of years I have experienced pain on and off in the lower right side of my rib cage that goes from the front to my mid back. Over this time period, I have had about 4 sonnagrams, 1 ct scan, 2 chest x-rays, blood work which says my enzymes are normal(the latest being on Monday night) and I know I don't have hepititis b/c I give blood at NIH every other month (they screen for that). The doctors have checked my liver, pancreas, kidneys and gall bladder and all are fine. My frustration is that I have and the doctors have no idea what the pain may be. Everyone is claiming it is pulled muscles on my side. I know this is not a mental problem. Does anyone have any idea what it could be or if there is anything that I should be tested for? Please let me know b/c I am going crazy trying to figure out what the heck the problem is.

By the way, the pain occurs mostly after I have had something to drink. I don't think that is the problem b/c Sunday I drank some wine at dinner and then a few beers, Monday had the pain and that is when I went to the hospital and they told me my liver enzymes were normal and all the other tests (sonnagram and x-ray) were normal.

Thanks,
APJ

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: APJ1
EclipseBreaking (06-06-2011), kmah (06-29-2011), Nadia1020 (11-09-2011), naenae56 (12-14-2010)
The Following User Says Thank You to APJ1 For This Useful Post:
nitashaw (02-02-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-08-2002, 03:05 PM  

TSB HB User
I just came from my annual physical. I, too, have a dull ache, intermittant, on my upper right side just below my rib cage.

My doctor has having me get a ultrasound.

She thinks that it may be either a colon problem - or - a residual problem from getting recurrent dysentary in asia.

(at first I thought it was a pulled muscle too)

But...I think you are lucky that so far your all your tests came back negative.

Could it be your colon?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2002, 07:13 AM  

APJ1 HB User
Thanks for the response. I don't know if it is the colon. I had a colonoscopy 16 months ago and besides one completely biegn (spelling) polyp and a little case of diverticulm (spelling) everything was just fine.

I hope it is nothing. The question still remains.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:52 AM  

TSB HB User
Well, the pain you are experiencing might be an very early sign (before tests actually show results) that your liver is sensitive to the alcohol. A temporary swelling maybe. I would avoid fatty foods and alcohol and keep a journal to track pain levels. Just to see if there is a remission on pain.

And if everyone is telling you that its a pulled muscle then their affirming your pain is real and isn't in your head.

The good thing is that you are getting the gamit of tests being done and keeping on top of the situation.

God, I hope mine is just a pulled muscle.

Old 08-09-2002, 09:56 AM  

TSB HB User
Also, some other thoughts.

Are you female? If so, have you had your ovaries checked? And your kidneys?

Old 08-09-2002, 10:06 AM  

APJ1 HB User
no, I am a male. Thank God I have great insurance. I am bugging the crap out of my doctors to make sure they find out what the pain is. I have an appointment with my Gastroenterologist next week. If he can't find anything and the pain persists, then I will see a oncologist. There is something wrong and I am determined to find the problem before it gets out of control.

I wish you well too. Let's all pray for the best.

APJ

Old 08-12-2002, 12:25 PM  

TSB HB User
Well, I am hoping it all turns out NEGATIVE!!!!!! Please keep me posted as to your situation.

Tina

Old 08-24-2002, 09:20 PM  
(female)

restless HB Userrestless HB Userrestless HB User
I had pain off and on for many years just like you describe. When I found out I had Hepc I thought I had figured it out. I hadn't. I had many test on my galbladder. There were no stones and every thing looked good. They finally did the old fashioned galbladder test where you take the dye tabs and they give you a drug IV to make your galbladder contract while they take xrays of the amount of dye that shoots out. That is when they foun out that my galbladder wasnot functioning properly even though I had no stones to show up on the ultrasound. Have you had this test? After my galbladder came out I felt a lot of relief.
Restless

Old 08-27-2002, 06:03 PM  

TSB HB User
I just found out that my liver/kidney tests are all normal and my abdominal liver/kidney/gallbladder/ ultrasound is normal too. I have been tested negetive for Hep A/B and have had twinrix vaccinations as well. But I never tested for Hep C. But I have been told Hep C is blood to blood contact and I haven't ever had any kind of exposure. Nor have I had unprotected sex (only with my husband).
So, I think Hep C is a low potential.

However, my sister did have a gallbladder attack and had to have emergency surgery to remove it.

I do notice my pain gets worse with eating and stress.
Sometimes it goes away too.

Anyway, my next visit to my doctor is Thursday.

Thanks, Tina

Old 01-30-2003, 01:13 PM  

gooseman HB User
Just wondering if anyone found out was causing there pain. I too have been suffering from the same problem for almost 2 years no and have had no luck in getting a correct diagnosis.

Old 02-08-2003, 08:27 PM  

Faithwalker HB User
Question

I too have the same pain you all have described which just started yesterday and left until I ate again.
I would like to know also if anyone found the answer.

------------------
Faithwalker

Old 02-22-2003, 01:27 PM  

foreverinpain HB User
I believe I am suffering from the same thing as all of you. I have been having this pain for at least a year now. One difference with me is that it starts to hurt when I sit so I usually can only sit for a short time. I then have to lay down or stand. My doctor sent me for an x-ray of my spine (thinking like one of you that it was the result of recurrent muscle spasms) and when that x-ray came back normal, I was sent for an ultrasound of my gallbladder. That too was normal. I'm completely baffled and don't know what else to do. Please if anyone can help or has suggestions, post a response soon. Thanks and I hope you all feel much better soon.

Old 03-03-2003, 01:15 PM  

cdebrot HB User
I have the same rib pain. I had every test known to man done and the doctor finally diagnosed me with costochondritis of the rib and prescribed Celebrex. the drug works great!

However, I am pregnant now and have to cease taking it. Sometimes, it is so bad, my obgyn has me take Tylenol #3 for the pain.

Ask your doctor about costochondritis - it's not curable, but it is treatable.

Old 03-04-2003, 07:06 AM  

csp1000 HB User
I have what seems to be a similar problem described by people here but with a couple of differences. I have had a pain along the lowest rib on my right side for about 8 months now. I have had now real help from the doctor and i am now seeing an osteopath who thinks he can cure it. After each session it appears to improve once the initial pain from the massaging subsides but within a few days it is back as bad as before.
The differences i mentioned where that i get a very distinct feeling of something bulky pushing against my lower rib cage when i sit down, even though a scan has shown there is nothing. I also get a warm to hot feeling when it is bad. If i place my left hand over it and press lightly it relieves the discomfort. If i press hard just under the rib it is very tender. I would have thought that with such specific symptoms as this the cause would have been clear. I do normally row in a team which involves a excessive straining on one side, however i have given up all sport in the last 7 months and it has not improved at all. The lack of advice or response from the doctor is becoming very annoying and i am quite concerned that there has been no improvement or diagnosis.

Cheers

csp

The Following User Says Thank You to csp1000 For This Useful Post:
holidayro (06-19-2012)
Old 03-11-2003, 08:16 AM  
Inactive

rsg HB User
Cool

I too have a constant pain in the middle and following the lower rib cage. Here are a few tests a GI may want to try: a HIDA scan with CCK(to check for gallbladder function) this shows a "bad" gallbladder even if you do not have gall stones, and an envasive test called ERCP, (I have had three, soon to be four), this shows a small muscle that squeez\es liver and pancreatic juice into the duodenum. It is a little organ that causes BIG pain. I have three stents in mine in order to stretch this ampulla of vater wide enough to be permanently open. No fun.
Well those are my thoughts. I have also had pancreatitis which causes a pain simillar to this.
Good luck and keep us posted. Have a great day. RG