It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2009, 03:59 PM   #1
(male)

rphillips22 HB User
liver cirrohsis

my sister was diagnosed with crrohsis about 8yrs ago now shes in the last stage and the hospitals wont treat her now hospice come twice a week shes been comatose for 3 days now is it safe to give her an enema to try and reduce the ammonia level.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: liver cirrohsis

i am just wondering if transplant was ever actually discussed or given as an option? regarding that enema, i really would call her doc, whoever is in charge of her liver care and ask about that. not too certain just how that may even work given her current status,ya know what i mean? the thing you need to remember is that she IS in hospice care right now too. would this really make any difference or impact on her overall condition? you just have to be realistic right now. i really am sorry for what she and you are going thru. but i would consult her doc before 'doing' anything to her. the chemicals used in the enema preps are NOT harmless to people who are suffering with ANY real level of kidney problems. people can and do go into renal failure from an actual seemingly harmless enema. strange but unfortunetly true. this is why you really need to speak with her primary care doc about it. i do hope for the best here. please keep me posted,Marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-31-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
(male)

rphillips22 HB User

Too feelbad thanks for your reply on my sister with cirrohsis this is day 5 being in coma we have tried enemas before and it seemed like it it worked then but not now we had lost our mother a little over a year ago and now we are grasping at straws with our sister hospice nurse come out a day ago and told us to start trying to say our goodbyes to her so i really appreciate your response to my questions thanks a million.

Old 01-16-2010, 09:19 PM   #4
(female)

mizinzane HB User

Hello? You have my deepest sympathies in regards of your sister.
I am needing all the information I can get for my boyfriend who was just diagnosed with cirrohsis. What is causing his stomach to swell and why are his feet swelling with fluids? He's already had his abdomen drained 2 and a half quarts of fluid but I don't think they drained it enough and he needs it done again. What is causing this?? Please help me!!! I just found out about this precription inderal is for thyroid problems why would a doctor prescribe this???

Old 01-17-2010, 11:42 PM   #5
(female)

Poppit HB User

Hi Mizinzane

I feel your pain - I am in the same situation. My advice is get on the internet and read everything you can. If you are unsure of anything phone the doctor. I go to the doc with my fiance all the time so that I can understand what is happening.

The fluid in his stomach is called ascites and the fluid in his legs are called edema. Is he on some sort of diuretic? Ask the doctor if they can put him on one. It makes them wee a lot but it helps bring down some of the water. My fiance is on Lasix.

Good luck and let me know how its going.

Candice

Old 01-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #6
(female)

mizinzane HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppit View Post
Hi Mizinzane

I feel your pain - I am in the same situation. My advice is get on the internet and read everything you can. If you are unsure of anything phone the doctor. I go to the doc with my fiance all the time so that I can understand what is happening.

The fluid in his stomach is called ascites and the fluid in his legs are called edema. Is he on some sort of diuretic? Ask the doctor if they can put him on one. It makes them wee a lot but it helps bring down some of the water. My fiance is on Lasix.

Good luck and let me know how its going.

Candice
Dear Poppit,
Thank you so much for your reply! Oh my! A connection! Thank you so much!
Gosh, I really do feel helpless and want to help my boyfriend whom I will call scotch-irish... I am making him a dr appt. As it is, he's never had a doctor up until now and I finally got him one. Made an appt.
Thank you so much for your advice and yes I have been on the internet thru my sidekick. I will go to a pc which wud be better.
Keep me posted on yall. I'd like to be here for you anytime. Hope your boyfriend is better. How long has he had it? Is it from drinking? I found out thru internert that alcohol cirrohsis and hepatitis cirrohsis are not the same "at all" ?? Did you get that, too?
Yall are in my prayers.
Mizinzane

Old 01-25-2010, 01:06 AM   #7
(female)

Poppit HB User

Hi Mizinzane

Yip you don't have to be a drinker to have liver problems. In our case booze did cause Shane's damage. Its quite hard for me to understand drinking all the time because it doesn't really bother me. Shane used to wake up and have a glass of wine and then another 3 litres for the rest of the day.

If it makes you feel any better I had to call an intervention because Shane would not go to the doctor at all. We had just printed our wedding invitations when I decided enough was enough. He looked like a blown up version of himself. That night I went to my folks house for dinner and broke down. My father called his father and told him that this is ridiculous. We kind of ambushed Shane in our house that night and I made him show my dad and his dad how bad the swelling was. His father made him go to the doctor the following day. He was diagnosed with Chronic Liver disease. That was in June last year.

After that he tried to quit drinking but he just wasn't successful. It wasn't until November last year when he was admitted into hospital for internal bleeding that he stopped - this time he had no choice. He had full blown Cirrohsis. The admitting doctor told me that there was probably nothing they could do for him and to prepare myself.

Its two months later, Shane is still sober and he looks a million times better. The fluid has gone down and he is not yellow any more. its hard especially not knowing if he will make the liver transplant. Just remember you are not alone. Read my post on my husband has cirrohsis. There are lots of us out there whose husbands/boyfriends/family are going through the same thing.

let me know how its going.

Candice

Old 01-25-2010, 08:05 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

sorry for what you both are going thru here with the ones you love. i am just wondering candice whether or not he has actually even been PLACED on the tx list yet? if so, just what is his current status? you do in many cases sometimes have the option of actually doing a live donor type of transplant too? that would depend more upon just what particular areas are actually damaged in him? they need a good intact billiary tree in order to do the live donor. we were in the process of getting my hubby ready to do this for our then 12 year old son when he was in liver failure(hubby turned out to be an absolutely perfect match in every way they needed), but they could not get rid of what was a really horrid ongoing infection within my sons bile ducts so that idea had to be scrapped and we did have to go onto that scarey list. he did amazingly recieve a liver tho but he was at status 1a(the highest possible) and had just gone national instead of regional on the list. it was a freaking miracle, and oh so close to him not even being here when he recieved it.

but the live donor option can be a possible here if like i mentioned, certain areas are still okay? the donor gives a lobe of their liver and it gets attached to that biliary tree in the recpient. that donated part in the donor eventually will regenerate itself over time. it really IS an amazing option if it is at all possible to do this. whether or not he actually truely NEEDS a liver right now or down the road here really comes down to alot of different factors. once certain criteria gets met, that is when they can be placed on that list. this is just one way to NOT have to go thru that agonizing wait ON that list since sooo many others need livers who are on it.

i do hope both your guys are doing okay and any major complications are held at bay for them too. good luck to the both of you, marcia

Closed Thread