It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-07-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

irishbookfairy HB User
Exclamation Enlarged liver, painful, feel growths on liver...

Hello,

I wrote the other day and Marcia gave me some good info. I was letting my my mom feel my enlaged liver today and we both could actually feel through my skin about 4 or 5 round mass like things. I know last year they told me I had a cyst. They showed me where it was and how big it was. These things are on the opposite side, and feel twice as big! They did do a liver panel and CBC on me the other day and they came back normal. However my Depakote levels were elevated and this is a drug that is completely filtered through the liver. I have been taking a mega dose of 1,000 mg/day for almost 5 years now. I read up on some of the risk factors associated with liver diseases and besides taking a drug that is known to cause liver disease I am also overweight, and my triglcyerides are twice as high as they should be. I am pretty concerned right now because I have been having sharp pains that will lead to dull, intermittent pains for the next couple of hours. My feet have been swollen as have my hands. My face seems swollen as well. You can see the veins in my feet and hands better than before. I checked for yellow in my eyes and in the corners of each eye there was a yellow color over the white. My eyes are also bloodshot and itchy. I have had headaches every single day for over 2 weeks now, I am short tempered and have no patience (very unusual for me), plus I have been feeling moody and rather sad. I have absolutely no appetite and have lost 4 pounds in 5 days. I barely eat anything and the only reason I usually do is because I know I will get more sick if I do not eat. Should I get my ultrasound done very soon? They have told me to get one and I know sometimes you have to wait awhile. What should I do? I am really concerned about those round masses I feel on my liver because my mom felt them also. She could also see the yellow in my eyes. She has the same thing in her eyes and she takes similar meds. She said her liver has been hurting also. She had her gall bladder taken out about 6 years ago. We looked at several other peoples eyes and no one had yellow in their eyes except for my mom and I. Please help! irishbookfairy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-08-2009, 01:04 AM   #2
(female)

Farmgrrl HB User
Re: Enlarged liver, painful, feel growths on liver...

It sounds like you are on the right path as imaging will give you a better idea if there is something definitely going on with your liver...advocating for yourself is key! If they see nothing with your liver (they should also scan your gallbladder at the same time) they need to look else where in your abdomen...i.e. an EGD and/or colonoscopy. Are you being followed by a gastroenterologist?

Old 06-08-2009, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Enlarged liver, painful, feel growths on liver...

hi IBF,sorry it took me a bit to get back here. thisd is kind of a response to the other post and this one.

the first thing you NEED to start doing is making certain to ALWAYS obtain your OWN lab results or any testing results just so you ahve them for your own records. i always do this any testing i have had to have done,including my 16 various MRIs for my spinal and other crappy medical nightmares. just getting copies of all yor labs allows YOU to see what you mentioned you wanted to see? just where YOUR numbers fall within that 'normal range"? this really just does matter where you kind of fall within that norm range, at the higher end or lower end of "normal" too. and just having ALL those labs to look at,you can possibly see any patterns or a slow escalation within some particular lab that needs closer monitoring. this is just something i started doing when my son was in liver failure and thru his pre and post transplant too. its an ongoing thing now,ya know? just get some type of a folder used just for all your ongoing labs so they are always together.

have they EVER done an ultrasound on your abdominal? there are some types of cystic kidney/liver diseases out there, that is what i have(polycystic kidney disease,or PKD). tho it started in my kidneys,it also went to my liver and i also now have some in my psoas muscle that just kind of saddles that left kidney so they ended up migrating there over time. but getting the abdominal ultrasound is really going to give you the best overall LOOK at your liver, and the bloodflow thru your portal vein along with also checking out the GB and the kidneys too. this just takes a good hard look at what any given organ actually has going on that is more visable.

believe me, despite massive ongoing cystic damage to my liver and my kidneys as well, my labs are still incredibly all within the midrange of normal. it just blows me away when i actually see my ultrasound pics and look at my lab sheets and that these both came from me. getting that US will tell you much more about just what it is you are actually feeling in there. it could be simple cysts that pose no real problem or some underlying thing/condition that you just did not know you had. i did not find out that i actually ahve had this kidney and liver disease my whole life til my son got sick and we needed to check who gave it to him,me or my hubby. it was that first US when i was like late 30s? when i found out i even had this crap going on inside my own body. since those labs don't change til the damage gets pretty severe, who knew??

your question about hepatitis? the one thing that you need to remember? anything(condition wise) that simply ends with "itis" anywhere? just means "inflammation of". so, hepa titis would mean you would have some level of inflammation of your liver at some point from what you mentioned. it does just happen for many different reasons. it is not always like hep A or B or C, you know what i mean? just inflammed liver. "itis" just means inflammation. inflammation in our bodies just means that something is kind of irritated from 'something'. that is basically it. its much more in depth than that but that is the basic of it. thought you might like to know that.

just talk to your docs iffice about getting all your medical records too. you just fill out a release of information form,and make certain to also mention that you also NEED ALL lab reports and any other testing reports too. this will give you all your docs clinic notes on you that he makes after every single appt he has had with you and those important test results that you just really need to be keeping track of when having ANY ongoing type of condition. i do this at least once a year,with the records thing? but i get any test results right away. hope this helps. let us know how the US goes hon. Marcia

Closed Thread