It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-30-2009, 03:20 PM   #1
(male)

48GX HB User
Pill abuse/ Fatty Liver / liver damage

I have had a fatty liver for a while (I dont have hepititis), most likely because of my high cholesterol (on Lipitor), i was abusing pain medication for about a year and a half. about 5 - 10 pills a day. Have been clean for about 2 months but worried about my liver. Can it repair itself after that much abuse?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #2
(male)

BeatleBenny HB User
Re: Pill abuse/ Fatty Liver / liver damage

What kind of pills? Congratulations on being clean. You should be fine, I've known people (including myself) who have abused Vicodin up to 40 pills a day and all of us have recovered. Staying clean is key. If you are concerned about your liver, avoid alcohol, smoking, etc. Research diets aimed at liver health. Don't fret.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-15-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

well first of all, congrats on just being clean. thats always a toughie, believe me i do know. are your liver labs are out of range at all? or were they at the time you decided to actually stop? the liver can repair itself to a certain degree but that also depends upon just how long you were feeding it high levels of tylenol which is what i am assuming you are more concerned about with this? and how much was affected and where. i would think, given enough time, things would tend to normalize after the tylenol has stopped being introduced in the heavy amounts you were taking. but labs would show more.

the one thing about tylenol in higher amounts is many many people have suffered acute liver failure with ONLY a one time overdosing event. so beatle? you were darn lucky that it did not actually occur with that 40 pills a day. having just one or a string of days with that much, your liver just cannot possibly metabolize all of that safely and thats when cell death occurs. you may not have had any actual "event" beatle, but i can guarentee you that you most certainly would have lost liver cells with that truely excessive amount of tylenol slamming it. just wayyy too over that safe limit which is actually 4000 mgs per day for occasional usage and only 3000 mgs for 'chronic' or daily usage. those are the approximates and what the manufacterer recommends based upon a very specific type of chemical within the liver just needed to safely metabolize tylenol. it can only manage so much then that cell death occurs. that is how the standards are just set. but that can be a wee bit higher or lower in each individual. it kind of depends more on YOUR sensitivity to tylenol. i think you were very lucky there beatle. you may want to mention this to the "others" you may still know who are still doing this, and also the ones that have stopped like you (congrats to you too). it can very easily kill someone unless you get a liver transplant. and trust me, that list is not fun. my then 12 year old son was on it in 99-2000 and its just plain scarey there. but he recieved his miracle, but unfortunetly many also die while waiting.

if you were also drinking alcohol while taking that much tylenol, you are even luckier than without it since it slams that liver very hard when mixed with tylenol.

while the fatty liver is probably more due to the cholesteral thing, close monitoring of your liver also needs to be done just being on the lipitor at all. the statins can also impact the liver in certain ways too. you just need to be monitored more closely, espescially with the addiction history with the tylenol usage. its just one of those better safe than sorry types of things. good luck to the both of you with staying clean and sober. you did the best possible thing for yourselves there. Marcia

Old 07-15-2009, 11:48 PM   #4
(male)

BeatleBenny HB User

You wouldn't believe how many other "Very Lucky" People there are out there. I've met people who have done 10 - 17 grams worth of acetominophen a day and have recovered. On the flip side, I've known people who have taken much less JUST once and who have perished. It's nothing to be messed around with, that's for sure. I'm very lucky, I used to abuse pills and was an alcoholic. There was a time where I'd take a swig of beer, take a pill, etc. Ignorance was my main problem until I overdosed. I never want to go threw that again, I was drinking taking Vicodin and Percodan, went deaf, threw up blood, slept for 20 hours, went to the hospital was treated effectively as possible even though there wasn't much hope for recovery, but I did recover. That's what it took for me to sober up. If not, I'd probably either still be abusing or dead. I don't like to think of it. But here I am six months later and clean and am feeling just fine, with all tests in normal range. On another note I had a friend who recovered from an overdose and went right back to using and eventually perished from another overdose.

The bottom line I guess is if you think you have a problem seek help to stop before it's too late. I nearly died and probably should be dead. Get help.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

kind of a tough way to learn a lesson but i am willing to bet it was a very "impactful" one for you. i used to be there too and am amazed that i did not end up in that same situation. tho i never actually took quite that much, i found out well after i got clean that i was actually born with a kidney and liver disease. did not have a clue i even had this crap til our youngest son went into liver failure. he recieved a mutated version(polycystic kidney disease) that created fibers to just grow thru out his liver since before he was even born. we did not have a freaking clue that he was even sick til he was in full portal hypertension and vomiting up blood at school one day. thats when i found out i had the same type of disease my whole life since we were told he had to have gotten this from me or my hubby and we had to be tested. i was actually already 40 when i found out. the human body has an amazing way of compensating when organ functions start to fail. could not believe he was already down to only 20% of his liver function left at the time of Dx. there was also absolutly NO hint of even having any level of jaundice either. that popped in about two months later when he had ended up developing pancreatitis. insane let me tell ya.

it just goes to show ya that you really have no real clue as to just what can be going on inside of our own bodies til it either presents itself very dramatically or it just happens to show up on some type of scan.

i really am glad you both saw that need to just get out of the insanity. that little bottle of tylenol that is probably in like everyones medicine cabinet is just not the little innocuous drug that most people have always believed is 'safe". the new latest warnings that have come out in the past few months really IS going to change ALOT about tylenol use. its just in wayyy too many meds and OTC cold preps too. i am glad you got the chance to live a new healthier life beatle. marcia

Closed Thread