It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-11-2009, 07:33 PM   #1
(male)

liverdude HB User
Swollen liver

I'm male, 33, I've been drinking way too much for more than 5 years.

Not surprisingly, last week for the first time, I have upper right quadrant pain above my liver. I'm totally freaked out. I know, I know, I deserve it. I know.

But my question is- is it possible that if I just stop drinking, a swollen liver will go away, or does this automatically mean I have something bigger like cirrhosis or cancer or something. (I have no other symptoms, no jaundice, etc. Maybe a headache and nausea but that's from being a hungover idiot drinker.)

So, simplified: Is there such a thing as a swollen liver that just goes away if I stop drinking? Or is a swollen liver always a bigger problem?

thanks. I'm an idiot, I know.

Old 07-12-2009, 07:51 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Swollen liver

we all live and learn, the key here is to LEARN from this ya know? the very first thing you really have to do here is actiually find out if this IS a big or smaller type issue by seeing your primary doc for some simple bloodwork done on your liver. this will really show just how well the functions are and that is what you really NEED to know right now. just because your liver may be swollen it does not mean it is automatically really bad. it could be inflammed and made better by stopping what is actually inflamming it, but you just have to find out those functions too.

i have both a liver and a kidney disease and do not have any out of range labs yet, but seeing my ultrasound is a whole nother story. getting an ultrasound along with the bloodwork right now would really really show the best overall picture of how your liver is just doing. it really does take both to just give the full picture. but i seriously go see your doc this week and get the labs checked. this also allows him or her to just be able to palpate that area and feel it for themselves. you just really DO need to get this checked out very soon. it is that important, trust me. you just really do need to know whats up. i would also really try and lay of that alcohol, espescially if this is what is causing this in the first place. just do NOT allow any possible fears you may have from keeping you from getting this all checked. some people can do that and it can just make what was a smaller problem twice as bad if this could have been cleared when it started, you know what i mean? just do what you KNOW you have to.

hopefully things are not as bad as you think they are right now, but you wont know til you get this all completely checked out soon. please keep me posted as to what you find out. good luck L dude, marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread