It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
liver spot ~ why is my doctor doing these tests?

I had a spot on my liver show up on a CT years ago (CT/no contrast), my gastroenterologist wanted to do a barium CT scan to check and make sure it hasn't grown. One spot, I think no big deal. With cancer, you surely would have more than one. I agreed to the test though I didn't see the point, really. Figure maybe it's a fatty liver spot (I do have cholesterol issues and drink off and on). But when the results came in, I'm told she wants a follow up MRI. I was not the least bit concerned until I heard this and I didn't get my CT results discussed with me, the nurse said she didn't know, which leaves me a bit frustrated. Why would she want another test? Is it possible something abnormal showed up on the CT or is it possible it didn't show up well on the CT and an MRI needs done (I'm rooting for the last possibility but how would the CT not clarify the issue). It's because of a CT that I know the spot is there.

Old 09-25-2009, 05:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

neveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB Userneveragain444 HB User
Re: liver spot ~ why is my doctor doing these tests?

this was on one of my past CT scans:
decreased attenuation of the liver compared with the spleen ~ I read online that this suggests cirrhosis.
so I look up symptoms of cirrhosis:
can't deny I don't have any of the symptoms (GRR), I have tiny red spots on the upper part of my body, years of nasal bleeding (always though from just blowing my nose - never pours out), itcy skin, fatigue, exhaustion, weakness (in my muscles), nausea, abdominal pain. past problem of peein green urine doctor thought was because of my liver but my liver function was normal. It's always more or less normal.

I think another CT showed a decreased attenuation hypodensity of my liver at 1.1 cm. That's the spot my gastro is evaluating. My urologist was quite concerned when he saw this on my CT also.

I completely fail to understand how a place on your liver sooooooooo freekin tiny could be of any concern whatsover.

I had the barium CT to see if it's grown, and they did not share the results with me. She may have no idea if the spot is cancerous or benign but someone with cancer is going to show problems in their blood work and lose weight and lose their appetite and all that good stuff. Not a chance with me. My weight is very well maintained but I couldn't lose much if my life depended on it.

has anyone here had such stuff show up on a CT and have any idea what it means? if they come back and tell me I have liver disease, I wouldn't be very shocked with how sadly pathetic I always feel, but I am so used to not getting the answers as to why I feel that way, I just can't believe she'll find anything wrong.

I'm not sure if I should be concerned about it or not. The thing is she is now doing an MRI after I just had the CT and I have no idea why. And it's really aggrivating me.

Last edited by neveragain444; 09-25-2009 at 06:11 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

well haha I misread that website. decreased attenuation of the liver compared with the spleen doesn't indicate cirrhosis (wow relief), it suggests fatty liver. i need to quit worrying over nothing.

Old 09-25-2009, 09:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

i picked up my test results. i have 1 focal area of reduced density, there are 5 areas of hyperdensity on my liver, 2 mm-11 mm x 2.1 cm in size, my liver is heterogeneous. and i have two cysts on my ovarys.

differential diagnosis between multiple hemangiomas or other lesions. radiologist asks if there is a known underlying maligancy and says it would be wise to evaluate this with a sonography or contrasted MRI.

so i guess i know why my dr is doing this now.

what does all of that mean, does it mean multiple lesions which they don't know if is either benign or cancerous but needs evaluated to see?

what is a heterogeneous liver anyways?

Last edited by neveragain444; 09-27-2009 at 05:46 AM.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:44 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

found out what heterogeneous means. no one replied but no one needs to. i'm not worried about these test results anymore and really don't want someone giving me any reason to.

The Following User Says Thank You to neveragain444 For This Useful Post:
Hypochondriacyy (11-10-2012)
Closed Thread