It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
(female)

mackyc HB User
pain behind right rib

Hi,

I have been having pain below my right rib for a while - on and off for the last few months I would say, but it has been worse in the last week and a half. It is a throbbing, burning pain that almost feels like a stitch - or like my scar tissue is twisting. I feel nauseous most of the time, very, very tired like my body is made of lead, and I have been really gassy.

I had my gallbladder removed about 12 years ago, so I know it's not my gallbladder. it is directly underneath where my gallbladder was. I have a large scar where they removed my gb - I was not able to have it removed by laparoscopy.

I ashamed to say that I am obese and have a history of pcos and insulin resistance. I have a LOT of fat around my stomach.

I had a baby last year and had gestational diabetes, which was insulin controlled. I do not know if I have any diabetes now as I haven't been tested for it (bad I know). After I gave birth, I had VERY swollen legs and feet that did not go down for about a month or two. I also had pain in my right kidney - my doctor had a look at it by ultrasound, but saw nothing. I don't know if this is related, but I do still get pain around that area.

When I sit still, I have a slight throbbing in my right shoulder blade. The pain around my liver is also slightly throbbing at times. I was diagnosed a few years ago with a slightly fatty liver, so I am wondering if my symptoms sound like that.

I know I need to see a doctor, ultimately, but I am scared. My mind ALWAYS goes to the worst possible scenario and I am scared it's something bad

Can someone please put my mind at rest?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2009, 06:46 AM   #2
(female)

Jules211 HB User
Re: pain behind right rib

You really need to go see a doctor. I am having very similar pain right now (have been for a few weeks) and am waiting on a second set of bloodwork results... it is scary but not knowing is the worst part. The sooner you get to the doctor the sooner you can get started on a path to finding out what's wrong. Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's something but not life threatening and you just need to get treated. And especially if it IS something serious... you just need to go get some answers. I am hoping to find out today or tomorrow the results of my second set of tests. First set showed slightly elevated billirubin, which sent me into a panic attack. But I'm trying to be calm and wait to find out the next step. I'll update when I find out more, but please make yourself an appt.

Old 10-08-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
(female)

JDMERKEL HB User
Unhappy Re: pain behind right rib

I had pain under ribs and fatigue 6 months ago, went to Dr had ultrasound, came back abnormal, was sent for full hepatic panel blood work and and alpha fetoprotein test with a ct scan, which showed some liver lesions, the Dr repeated the ct scan recently and I think the lesions are changing and now my alpha fetoprotein test came back abnormal, which is scary, they are ruling out focal nodular hyperplasia (benign condition), or fibrolamellar carcinoma which is malignant, I don't fit the profile for either one, I am healthy, take care of myself, just tired alot and have pain under ribs, make sure you get the ct scans and the correct bloodwork, they now want to do an mri of liver or biopsy, I am concerned about biopsy, because of risk but that is many times the only way they can get a diagnosis

Old 10-14-2009, 04:24 PM   #4
(female)

mackyc HB User

thank you both for your responses. i haven't made an appointment yet - life has been so busy and my doctor is really hard to get an appointment with. also, the pain has gone away. i have modified my diet a bit and am wondering if it's helped. if it comes back, i will definitely go and see someone.

jules - i read your posts about your condition and am glad to hear that you are ok!

jdmerkel - i hope all is well. i will be thinking of you and hoping for a great result.

Old 11-15-2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackyc View Post
thank you both for your responses. i haven't made an appointment yet - life has been so busy and my doctor is really hard to get an appointment with. also, the pain has gone away. i have modified my diet a bit and am wondering if it's helped. if it comes back, i will definitely go and see someone.

jules - i read your posts about your condition and am glad to hear that you are ok!

jdmerkel - i hope all is well. i will be thinking of you and hoping for a great result.

I had my gallbladder removed too. I have the same pain under my right rib that throbs - it will come and go. I am borderline diabetes but I can get rid of it if I lose 60 more lbs. This could be SODs disease Spinchter of the Oddi dyfunction. I was checked from head to toe and they only thing they found was elevated liver enzymes which they contributed to a fatty liver. I am trying to lose weight to change all this.

Closed Thread