It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2009, 02:59 PM   #1
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User
Is is my liver that's making me sick?

Hi. Is it possible to have liver issues if you don't drink alcohol? I've been having issues with poor appetite and nausea for the last few days. I also deal with bad fatigue. I had a blood test done a couple months ago for the same issue and it showed some of my liver enzymes were slightly elevated. My doctor didn't think it was anything worth worrying about, and I seem to recall they were elevated before I had my gallbladder removed, which was about 2 years ago. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-24-2009, 09:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Is is my liver that's making me sick?

any real out of range labs/not normal really NEEDS to be further explored for the actual underlying REASON? our labs just do not go out of the norm range unless something is actually causing function loss or impacting the true functions. thats what labs simply check, overall organ functions. if your doc is blowing this off, i would honestly find another primary doc who actually cares about his patients real issues and concerns. thats pretty pathetic actually. at the very least here he should be sending you for further testing with an ultrasound just to see the organs themselves(which can be a totally different story in some cases than even 'perfect" labs actually would show) and to also check on bloodflow thru particular vessels, espescially that portal vein within the liver? this would also show flow and size of the hepatic bile ducts,and that important common bile duct too. using that doppler tool they have is really what allows that much clearer flow velocity thru organs and vessels. anything that has an actual flow can be checked just using doppler with only an US, not other more common types of scans like CT or MRI even.

i would most definitely be asking your doc for that ultrasound referral right now. this would just show alot about all the abdominal organs(and the very crucial flow velocitys thru vessels and ducts) if this is ordered as a full abdominal US? your primary should simply be working with you and for you here in finding that main reason for the out of the norm lab numbers. did they actually EVER return to normal post GB removal surgery or have they always been off since then? if they did go back to normal after, just how long did that take and exactly what labs are off and by how much? do you have your own lab sheet with this info on it? if not,you really do need it and any other labs or testing results from since this all began. marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2009, 06:03 PM   #3
(male)

Ivoryz00 HB User
Re: Is is my liver that's making me sick?

Thank you for your reply Marcia. Yes, I'm going to see a different primary doctor for a second opinion this week. And yes, I feel my doctor is blowing me off. He was pretty bent on my past health issues being related to stress and anxiety. Which in result, causing nausea, vomiting, and weight loss. He prescribed me anti anxiety med's (Lexapro). After 3 years, my 3rd attempt with a different GI doctor found out it was my gallbladder and had it removed.

I'm not sure if my labs went back to normal after surgery, but I know they did after my last few episodes in the past few months. They were slightly elevated, but went back to normal. And as of my current episode, it's taken me 2 days for me to have a descent appetite. I seem to remember that's how long it took the last few times. I'm almost certain it's liver related because I can even feel minor pain and swelling throughout the day. They come in waves. Plus, it's no coincidence that each time I get sick my liver enzymes are elevated.

I don't have any lab reports, but I will request them and report them to you. Maybe I can get your opinion or someone else. Thanks again.

Last edited by Ivoryz00; 10-25-2009 at 06:05 PM.

Closed Thread