It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2009, 05:46 PM   #1
(female)

krh2002 HB User
cirrhosis of the liver

Hi my name is kelly and i was diagnosed with cirrhosis of the liver two weeks ago. i havent been able to bring myself to tell my family, but becasue thanksgiving is coming up it might be necessary to break the news to them. i have been having an extremely hard time dealing with this and was wondering if anyone had any advice as to how i should be handling myself. alcohol is more appealing now than ever but because of my critical condition my life style needs to change dramatically. any advice would help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2009, 03:30 PM   #2
(female)

grandma2o2girls HB User
Re: cirrhosis of the liver

hi krh, my husband passed away Jan.2009 from cirrohosis. He was waiting for a transplant but his body could not wait. He was in the later stages when diagnosed. He lived for 6 months after being diagnosed. What stage are you in? He stopped drinking immediately, but his liver was just too damaged. What symptoms are you having?

Also, you really need to tell your family. You need support right now. Please write back and I will try to answer any questions you may have.

Darlene

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
(male)

jools11 HB User
Re: cirrhosis of the liver

krh,

I too am diagnosed with cirrhosis and it's not something that you're going to want to carry the weight of alone. I'm not sure as to where you're at in the disease (meld score), but in most cases, it does progress and, eventually, you will have to start taking meds (a lot of diuretics) and the jig is gonna be up...unless you convince your family that you're unhealthily obsessed with your weight...teasing, sorry. Emotionally, it is not going to be good for your mental health to retain such a secret. For the entire first year I was obsessed with the dismal thought that my life had been put on a timer. Not being able to speak freely with loved ones about your concerns can send you into a depression, which will only make things worse and make that drink seem more tempting. Thanksgiving is still two weeks away which is plenty of time for you to tell your family, get their awe out of the way, and make sure that you're restricting your sodium intake at the Thanksgiving feast. I'm sure that you've done your own scavanging for information, but here are a couple of links that will beef up your knowledge about what to expect with progression, but, please, for your overall wellness you should get this out to your loved ones in one quick, deep breath.

Good Luck!

Last edited by moderator2; 11-13-2009 at 05:48 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Closed Thread