It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #1
(female)

morganmusic HB User
Hepatopulmonary syndrome

My brother died 2.5 years ago of hepatopulmonary syndrome at the age of 46. When he was first diagnosed approximately 5.5 years ago, there was very little information on hepatopulmonary syndrome. In fact, it took a team of doctors and a several days to reach the diagnosis. If you google HPS you will find more info now than I was able to back then, but I never see HPS on the message boards. There is very little information in my (many) medical encyclopedias. This is an insidious syndrome that may occur following cirrhosis of the liver. It involves the pulmonary (lung) system and oxygenation. I have read that anywhere from 8% to 15% of people diagnosed with cirrhosis will later be diagnosed with HPS. Anyone else heard of/have history of HPS? I feel that for the memory of my brother and his suffering that this syndrome should be discussed in the liver disorders message boards. Thanks for any info.

Closed Thread