It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

NY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB UserNY 1009 HB User
Emergency room visit w/acute abdominal pain

Let me begin by saying this is the 3rd time that I've had to go to the ER w/acute abdominal pain.

1st time was back in 2005 after having abdominal surgery to perform a total hysterectomy and when I was home recovering, I started getting extremely sharp abdominal pain, nausea and horrible, extreme vomiting that wouldn't stop.
wound up being a partial small bowel obstruction. recovered in hospital for 3 days.. no surgery needed.

2007, another attack with results of right hydronephrosis and hydrorouter. spelling is wrong. but you have the idea. no stones visible, sent home and referred to a specialtist, I had no insurance.

2008, sharp cyclical stabbing pains through out my entire abdomen. tried to stick it out, couldn't. even took OTC gas pills, but didn't work. went to ER, had a CT scan that came out clear other than I was filled up to my chest with stool. Dr.s words, not mine.
spoke to my gastro doctor next day on phone for results and he told me I have IBS. due to my on and off chronic constipation.
was told to take four different over the counter meds to help treat it.

March of 2009. I continue getting this dull, deep,cramping achy pain right where my appendix is on and off. I see a different gastro dr. who is in the same practice of my long time gastro dr.who told me he will not perform exploratory surgery as recommended by my family dr. thinking it may be a hernia or adhesions. recommened my 3 yr colonscopy which was clear other than 2 polyps that were neg. for colon cancer and was put on a medicine called " amitia" so that I wouldn't get the acute abdominal pain or bloating anymore.

Last week after eating lunch and a bowl of icecream, 3 hours later after waking up from a nap, I felt the pain start though out my abdomen. Let the journey begin I told myself. Oh NO, not another trip to the ER.
I held myself from going for HOURS hoping it would go away with no success.
my spouse finally wound up taking me at 9pm.
they gave me pain medication, IV, plus IV fluids, X-ray performed and CAT SCan with oral contrast and no IV contrast.
results:
questionable small bowel thickening in left upper quadrant, suggesting an infectious or inflammatory enteritis, vs. simple luminal underdistenstion.
Minimal free fluid adjacent in to the inferior tip of right hepatic lobe. indicates an acute process whose epicenter is unclear ( but would unlikely be the LUQ small bowel) Consider hepatitis or other liver pathology (which is somewhat limited in evaluation since no IV contrast was used) Occult bowel pathology or even pelvic inflammaroty disease (gonococcal perihepatitis) although no definite pelvic abnormalities are seen other than trace pelvic free fluid and patient may be status partial hysterectomy.
I had a TOTAL hysterectomy back in 2005! This is the 2nd time a radiologist has stated I have only a partial hysterectomy. I even called my gyno's office to have the nurse read my surgical report to me to make absolute sure I made no mistake about this. What on earth are these radiolgists seeing???

NOTE: Go Back to a CT SCAN performed in 2008. It stated the right lobe of my liver is prominent and that it extends below the iliac crest. My family doctor was not concerned about this. so I wasn't. so I forgot about it. All my other previous CT scans never commented about my liver being prominent.

I mentioned this to the ER dr. the other night and he said a woman of my size is not unusual for their liver to be extended to the iliac crest.
All my other CT scans always said my liver was good in size.

When the ER dr. came in to tell me that everything came out clear, I asked for a copy of the CT scan report and found out all this stuff that I wrote above. He told me that my blood work was normal and therefore felt there is nothing wrong with me and discharged me and told me to follow up with a gastro doctor in 2-4 days.

I called my gastro's office and asked to make an appointment. they said they'd have the dr. read the report and they'd call me back. they called me back stating that I DO need to come in and see him but that he can't fit me in for two weeks. so I took the appointment.

Things physically have changed since I last saw this doctor who I happen to be very close to. I am losing weight without trying, lost muscle mass, have loss of appetite, am having problems now with my lung capacity and was told by a clinic doctor that I have bronchitis and the beginning of emphysema.
It started out by having difficulty taking deep breaths and am extremely tired and weak all the time. I can barely walk up a flight of stairs. there is alot of wheezing in my lungs and alot of mucas which I've never had a problem with before.
he put me on a nebulizer and an rx of an inhaler to be used 4x's a day for an entire month with refills on it.
On a that prior ct scan back in 2008 I mentioned when they found the enlarged liver, it also stated that I have chronic atelectatic or fibrotic reaction present in the posterior aspect of both lung bases.
My family dr never went over this with me.

I am shocked by this. I'm wondering now if this is all related and with the free fluid being in my abdomen, no WONDER I was in pain every time I turned over in bed or hit a bump in the road going to the ER. I've had ovarian cysts burst which releases fluid in the addomen and this can cause significant pain. sharp pain, which I was having.

but I still have to wait to find out WHAT is causing this free fluid, and what they're seeing on the tip of the right hepatic lobe?

I have no fever and no high levels of blood work. can this be possible with the resutls of the cat scan??

My gastro dr. even thought I might have the beginning of cirrhosis when he was 1st treating me and surgeon back in 2002 told me he saw a pock marked liver with adhesions on it when he performed a pelvic surgery to remove a cyst on my right ovary. he ASKED Me whether I was a heavy drinker and I told him no. I was never told to see a another dr. for this as a follow up treatment.

it's ALL so confusing with my medical history. I am not well physically and have a host of medical problems going on for years now.

I am determined to get well once and for all and want to put an end to having to see doctors all the time. I feel like a hypochondriac and am at my wits end.

Is it possible to have liver problems or small bowel thickening with normal blood levels???

I would appreciate any info.

sorry for the lengthly story of my medical history. but I had to explain it for you to understand what is going on before and currently.

The following user gives a hug of support to NY 1009:
billnterrac (09-13-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2011, 04:29 PM   #2
(female)

triadkitty HB User
Re: Emergency room visit w/acute abdominal pain

I was curious if you have had your gallbladder removed? I had a complete hysterectomy in March of '09. I have been having pelvic pain, lower right area where my right ovary would have been if I still had it. I have also been having issues with my liver, I was diagnosed with fatty liver disease at the time I had my hysterectomy. I lost 35 pounds. My liver enzymes are normal now, but I have these pains at my right lower ribs (where my liver happens to be), also have pains on the left side where my pancreas is as. Given I don't have insurance, I get the run around with every doctor I've been to. Or they really just don't care to find out what's wrong. I'm tired of hurting, tired of feeling like a hypochondriac because that's how doctors look at me, and all along knowing that something IS wrong with me. I just need a doctor to CARE. I could bore you with a book of symptoms, but I'll save that for another time. I'd like to swap stories with you and maybe we can help each other.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:25 AM   #3
(female)

billnterrac HB User

I just realized this was an older post. Have you gotten any answers or relief? From now on, I will be better about checking the date of the post...Hope you are feeling better.

Old 09-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #4
(female)

gsdmoonshadow HB User

Per your liver and abdomen problems..1st..here's a hug from me to you...

I contracted HepC at age 17. I rested and was told "I was all better" by my then family doctor..this was 43 years ago.
In 2005 during a routine blood test my doctor saw that my liver emzymes were elevated. I told him that my old family doctor told me that this would always show up on my bloodwork because I will always carry the Hep C virus inside me even tho it was in remission. (I don't think he knew that much about Hep C!)
I had been having gall bladder problems for years and was about to lose my health insurance so I had the gall blader out and also requested a liver biopsy as long as I was knocked out. My doctor had been asking me to get one so why not.
Well..I had active chronic Hep C and my poor liver was at stage 3 (stage 4 being cirrhosis)..so my hep C had come out of remission (when I don't know) and slowly turning it fibrotic (my liver was showing significant fibrois scar tissue which affects how the liver functions and causes a lot of other problems).
With no more health insurance I could not afford the expensive meds I would need to was h the virus from my bloodstream and put this back in remission. I tried a drug study program but they tried 5 different places to draw blood and blew it everytime (I'm hard to do blood draws on)..I left crying feeling like I would now die from Hep C - liver failure or worse yet..liver cancer-which is a much higher possibilty with Hep C.
I found a patient assistant program at the county hosp. and just went thru another liver biopsy..7 years after the 1st one. No cancer, but my liver has progressed from 3.1 to 3.4 (remember 4 is cirrhosis)
In the last 18 months I have had a lot of trouble with my liver swelling up and becoming painful. I also have pain around my joints and in my muscles. I get muscle knots all over my ribcage front and back (which I use accupressure to deal with) and I have been dealing with a horrible reflux problem which is basically chronis and causes great chest pain when I walk or excercise..I just found out that these problems are common with Hep C.
I was also diagnosed with a fatty liver and as I am very over weight I KNOW I need to lose weight for numerous reasons like my bad back, my sore knees and now, after reading about fatty liver this is yet another reason to drop the pounds.
I will try the health dept. next to see if I can help with getting the Hep C drugs I need which cost $28,000 - $48,000 outright...more than what my home is worth!
Also, drug study programs won't accept patients who are over a certain BMI number.
My suggection to you is get a liver biopsy!!! Get bloodwork to determine if you have Hep C (or any other Hepatitis).
Do it NOW...Insist to your doctor that you want these tests right away!

Closed Thread