It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #1
(female)

finn10 HB User
Adenoma & Contraception

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone on here has advice regarding contraception for someone suffering from Liver Adenoma? I have been taken off the pill but I am a person who likes to be VERY careful, particularly now as getting pregnant could be life endangering.

Can I use the Mirena Coil or is it just the copper IUD? Any advice would be good.

cheers
finn

Old 12-15-2009, 10:40 PM   #2
(female)

aliha HB User
Re: Adenoma & Contraception

Hiya Finn10

I am in the same boat as you! Was on the pill for around 7 years and had open liver resection in August due to an adenoma so off the pill I had to come!

I gave my body three months of no pill taking to give my body a break and a month ago I had the implanon rod put in my arm - these are fine to use as they are progesterone, not oestrogen (oestrogen is the problematic hormone for adenomas)

So far I have had no issues with the implanon. You may want to look under the birth control thread on this site as there are a lot of stories, good, bad and indifferent about implanon.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-16-2009, 05:14 AM   #3
(female)

finn10 HB User

Aliha, Thanks for the quick response. I didn't realise Progesterone was ok. I will investigate the implant

Last edited by finn10; 12-16-2009 at 05:14 AM.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
(female)

autiemommy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by finn10 View Post
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone on here has advice regarding contraception for someone suffering from Liver Adenoma? I have been taken off the pill but I am a person who likes to be VERY careful, particularly now as getting pregnant could be life endangering.

Can I use the Mirena Coil or is it just the copper IUD? Any advice would be good.

cheers
finn
i personally would stray away from the mirena.it caused me many problems and i refuse to use birth control of any sort anymore.i think the mirena caused my problems.just look it up in a search engine.

Old 07-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
(female)

Kebo HB User

I know I am probably a bit late to reply, but I think it might be helpful for anyone else looking for answers to the same questions!

I also have liver adenomas (lots of them) and also diabetic - so getting pregnant would be a big problem at the moment! I have the Mirena Coil and have no problems with it at all. It is pretty uncomfortable to get inserted, but after it has been, you would never know it is there. I will be getting it again when it needs changed after 5 years!

Closed Thread