It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #1
(female)

kamu HB User
laparoscopic liver resection - recovery time?

Trying to bump this - Does anyone have any experience with this kind of surgery? My surgery is coming up in about 2 weeks & I'd love to know what to expect. Any advise would be appreciated.
thx

Hello,
I'm new on here. I'm having laparoscopic liver resection for a 6cm adenoma in about 3 weeks (left lateral lobe). I can't find any information as to how long it takes to recover from the surgery..All going well, I've been told the recovery time is much better than an 'open' surgery..but just how long is what I really would like to know.
Is there anyone who has had laparoscopic surgery for an adenoma who could let me know: How long out of work etc? How does it feel? Anyone have any advice for hospital stay & recovery. I'd really appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Last edited by kamu; 02-09-2010 at 07:26 AM. Reason: update

Old 08-04-2010, 02:07 PM   #2
(female)

Jmburrell06 HB User
Re: laparoscopic liver resection - recovery time?

Hi Kamu,
I was reading your post and thought I would respond since I am pretty much in the same boat as you. I was diagnosed with hepatic adonomas about a month ago and I am now facing the possibility of laparoscopic liver resection. At first my doctor told me a laparoscopic procedure was not an option but now I am being told it is.

I actually met with my doctor today and went over the ins an outs of this surgery. My doctor wants to do my surgery in two parts. The first surgery will take out a little bit of my liver to make sure it regenerates properly (since I am showing some early signs of fatty liver disease). The second surgery will be 6-8 weeks later to take out the remaining parts of my liver. If all goes well then my liver will regenerate to a normal size with 100% functioning. If my liver does not regenerate as quickly as it should then I will be left with no other option but to have a liver transplant.

As far as recovery goes my doctor told me I would be in the hospital for 2 days after the surgery then would recover at home for another 2-3 weeks. Since I am an administrative assistant in a medical office the doctor said I can do desk work after 2 weeks. I know everyone is different but this is what my doctor told me. I hope this might help you out.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread