It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2010, 03:23 PM   #1
(female)

drydn01 HB User
Question "advanced" alcoholic Cirrhosis and bilirubin levels

My father is 45 years old and 3 weeks ago was diagnosed with "advanced" alcoholic cirrhosis. He has been in ICU and on a ventilator since he was brought in. The doctor's have said that it doesnt look good for him. My big question is this: My stepmother had mentioned to me yesterday that the dr. told her that a normal bilirubin # is 1.0...my father is currently at a 23.0...does anyone know how high this really is and if there is any hope of him recovering? I am having a very difficult time dealing with this whole thing, so any words of wisdom about the subject will be greatly appreciated!

Old 02-21-2010, 09:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: "advanced" alcoholic Cirrhosis and bilirubin levels

sorry i did not see this until AFTER i actually responded to you on another thread where someone asked about the bili levels(It was listed above this one)? i responded there about your dads situation hon. if you pop on there or answer the questions i asked there on this thread thats fine. the more info you can give will better help me or us to help you figure where he is actually at overall here? marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-21-2010, 02:50 PM   #3
(female)

grandma2o2girls HB User

I am so sorry you are going thru this. I know cuz my husband passed a year ago from cirrohosis of the liver due to alcoholism. I don't know what the numbers mean really, but I have my husbands last blood work in front of me now and it was from 4 months before he passed. It shows that his bilibrubin was 3.5 and should have been between 0.2-1.2 and they said it was high. That 23.0 you say your dad shows, is really high.
I do pray for you and your family and my heart goes out to you. Please let us know how he is doing.
God bless
Darlene

Old 02-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #4
(female)

drydn01 HB User

Thank you marcia and Darlene. I do not know a whole lot about his actual condition yet. I am however going to be making the trip to FL next week to be with him. My father has not had a drink since the beginning of February. he was rushed to the hospital and placed on a ventilator almost imediately and has remained in the critical ICU since then. Hopefully when I return next Friday I will have a better understanding of what's actually going on, what his other levels are. I do know that his ammonia levels were high but that is all. Thank you again.
Alicia

Old 03-26-2010, 12:07 AM   #5
(female)

Gunnarmack HB User

Dear Alicia,

Would you by any chance know what his MELD score is? I too will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Pat

Old 03-26-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
(female)

Dohna HB User

Hi Iam so sorry to hear about your father. I would talk to the Doctors and ask them what his outcome is,they should tell you being that you are family. I hope all is well for your father and you takecare I will say a prayer for your father and yo .

Dohna

Old 03-27-2010, 06:28 AM   #7
(female)

drydn01 HB User

Thank you to all who have posted to this thread. I truly appreciate it. I, unfortunately lost my father on March 4th. I was at his bedside as was his brother, my stepmother and my brother (only 8 yrs old). His bilirubin # jumped to 50.3, and the doctors said that there was nothing else they could do for him. My stepmother and I discussed the situation and came to the conclusion that hospice care was the best thing for him. Seeing as we are catholic, keeping him on life support was not really an option for us...we didn't want to see him suffer any longer than he already had. Once we pulled the ventilator and gave him oxygen, he never took a breath on his own. 45 years old...may you rest in peace daddy...I love you...9/12/1964-3/4/2010

Old 03-28-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
(female)

grandma2o2girls HB User

I am so so sorry about your dad. My daughter and I know what you are going thru and my prayers are with you. Please take care of yourself and please post to let us know how you are doing.

God Bless.
Darlene

Old 03-28-2010, 11:42 PM   #9
(female)

StaceyK HB User

I am so very sorry for your loss. My dad passed away on January 6, 2009 the same way. He was going to be put on a liver transplant list in Feb. of 09 but didn't make it. Sounds like your dad passed away not very long after you found out he had cirhossis of the liver?

My dad and myself were pretty close and I miss him so much. I am glad he's not suffering anymore. It was so hard to see him on life support. My mom and I were by his side when we took him off life support. He lived for maybe 30 minutes before he took his last breath. I still am shocked that my dad is gone even after a year. Both our dads were way too young to go. My dad had two little granddaughters he left behind and I know he wanted to see them grow up. That makes it so much harder too.

If you don't mind me asking, was your dad a drinker?

I am here if you need any support. Unfortuntely I can say I know how you feel and I wish I could say it gets better. Well, it does but not in the way I imagined. It's just different. Were you and your dad close? Well I could write forever to you. Please write me if you need some support. I am here.

Stacey Kessler

Old 03-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #10
(female)

Dohna HB User

I'am really sorry for your loss. I lost my soulmate,the love of mylife on Jan 24th. He was 42yrs old. He too passed away from Alcohol. It was horrible what I witnessed. I miss him sooooooooooooooooo much. I will pray for you and yourure loved ones. Takecare and God Bless your Dad and all of you.

Dohna

Old 03-29-2010, 10:48 AM   #11
(female)

drydn01 HB User

Thank you so much for the support. AshAly...to reply to you...goodness there is just so much going through my head right now. Yes my dad was a drinker...and a very heavy one at that. That was one of the reasons he could not be put onto a transplant list. Another reason was that the cirrhosis had caused his blood to thin to the point where any surgery was a major risk. From the day we found out he had cirrhosis to the day he dided it was roughly a moth...maybe just a bit more. It is very unfortunate because my dad has a very young son as well...he is only 8 years old. I was very close to my father. Any song that reminds me of him or simple things I see that make me think of him make me cry these days. I just cant believe that he is gone. It will be only 1 month on Easter, but it feels like an eternity. My heart aches and I feel I have lost that little part of me that keeps me going. I am glad that he is not suffering anymore, but beat myself up beacuse I feel that if I had spoken to him about his drinking then maybe he would have listened. For some reason he always listened to me. Why did this have to happen to him? Why does it have to hurt this much. Please writ me back, as I am here for you if you ever would like to talk.

I hope to hear from you soon! Take care and God bless

Old 03-29-2010, 10:00 PM   #12
(female)

StaceyK HB User

I can hear myself in your words. It is going to be a very rough journey ahead. The first 6 months seemed like a bad dream but a big blur to me now. But with time is does become a little more acceptable but it's still so hard. That's our dad we lost. The man we looked up to no matter what. Both my parents were severe alcoholics. My dad quit drinking as soon as they told him he needed a liver transplant. But he ended up having a surgery for a hernia due to all the fluid buildup in his stomach. Which in the end caused infection. They couldn't do much for him because like your dad, my dads blood was way too thin to operate or do much of anything.

Let me tell you this though. I begged my dad day after day year after year to quit drinking. There was nothing we could of done. It was up to them. I did not realize how much we are NOT in control until after had had passed away and I tried to get my mom to stop drinking. She finally did but I realized it wasn't in my hands. They have to want it. So please don't ever feel like you could of done more because the outcome would of been the same, I promise you that. It was a horrible disease that took our dads away from us at such a young age. I am so jealous of women my age who have their father around. It's a horrible feeling to feel that way. But why at age 31 do I not have a father?

My dad was the one I went to for anything and everything. We used to talk every morning about anything or nothing. I miss those calls. I miss my daughters getting on the phone with their papa telling him how much they love him. Now they have to look up to the sky to talk to him and get no response back. I hate it.

I am married to a wonderful man but I still lost my best friend and a part of me is gone that will never come back. Please whatever you do...don't think you could of convinced him to stop because you couldn't have. I dealt with this my entire childhood. BEGGING both my parents to stop. Wondering why if they loved me so much and eventually my own children why wouldn't they stop? But It's a disease they didn't have control over. So even though its hard to accept him being gone..He's no longer suffering..he's in a better place. I feel my dad around me. I never felt the spiritual until after my dad had passed. I know hes around. And so is your dad.

We send balloons to heaven sometimes with a poem attached or just ask him to catch it. Try to find something like that ...that will make you still feel the connection with him. Because he is still around you.

Your in my prayers and please keep in touch. Take care of yourself. Oh also I made a memorial page fo rmy dad. I put pictures and sometimes write comments on there when I feel like saying something to him. Little things like that helps me.

It's hard but you will get through it. How is your mom doing if you don't mind me asking?

Stacey Kessler
Missing him so much~~ RIP dad~~

Last edited by moderator2; 03-30-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: please do not post websites except as described in the Posting Policy

Old 03-30-2010, 09:46 AM   #13
(female)

Dohna HB User

Hi and again Iam sooooooooooo sorry for your loss. I wrote to you last time telling you my boyfriend 42yrs old died Jan 24th 2010 from cirrhosis. I feel the same way I feel like apart of me has went with him no matter what I do to keep busy I still feel empty and lost inside and yes you get a sharp pain in the heart. I know its because we are in mourning and it is going to take along time to heal and I know we will never really heal completely but we are left behind for a reason we may not know right now what it is but Iam sure we will know eventually. There is nothing you could have said. I thought the same thing if only I said this or if only I did that. Its hard very horrible disease . All I can really say because Iam going through the same thing is that time does heal. He is in a better place. Its us that its hard on trying to move on and think that they would want us to be happy and move on . My boyfriend said that to me if there isnt a miracle you need to move on. I pray all the time of how I miss him but I get through each day. I think about what he would say to me.
Take Care of your self
Dohna

Last edited by moderator2; 03-30-2010 at 01:29 PM. Reason: please do not post your email address

Old 04-06-2010, 06:01 PM   #14
(female)

grandma2o2girls HB User

To drydn01,

I haven't seen you post and was just wondering how you were doing? I hope you are hanging in there. Please write and let me know how you are doing.

Take care and God bless.

Darlene (Staceyk's mom)

Old 04-07-2010, 02:21 AM   #15
(male)

aikial HB User

Hi ,my thoughts are with you .I have cirrhosis from alcohol,hep c & haemochromatosis ,i've just looked at my last lot of blood tests & my serum total bilirubin level is 35 ,it says the normal range is o-17 .You could ask if he has end stage or de-compensated cirrhosis .All the best if i can help please get in touch .I am 52 .Alan xx

Closed Thread