It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
(female)

dnakai HB User
Smile best supplements ~ road to recovery

Almost half a year ago my liver enzymes were elevated. I was suppose to go back for a follow up, and of course haven't. Without being able to remain abstinent from alcohol I just know it has gotten worse. Because I have never been a flamboyant or raging alcoholic my ailments have been kept a secret. I am definitely a private person and have been struggling for quite some time now. I am working on a recovery program now and am very, very excited. I now know establishing a support group is going to be essential. I am also concerned as a strict no fat, vegan diet combined with supplementing meals with alcohol have surely had a detrimental effect of my health. I am underweight and have zero energy. At times especially mid afternoon I am wiped out. I don't feel able to walk or talk for a few hours and in turn am in a horrible mood. Mental clarity is non-existent as I also suffer from severe insomnia and OCD.

I am thirty four and a mom to two great kids. I don't believe that it is ever too late.

I have dabbled with different supplements to assist in the regeneration of my liver. Does anyone have feedback on the following L-Carnitine, Milk thistle and Sam E. Of course not drinking is the key factor. I owe it to my family and body I need to help it in anyway possible. Thank you for your time 63

Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
(female)

grandma2o2girls HB User
Re: best supplements ~ road to recovery

Supplements will only have a chance to have any effect as long as you don't drink. They are not miracle cures and alcohol, no matter what you take, will damage your liver. My husband took all the supplements you listed and he passed away last year from Cirrohosis. He continued to drink thinking the supplements would protect his liver. So wrong. You have to completely quit so your liver can heal.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #3
(female)

dnakai HB User

thank you, even now i am tempted. but i am renewing my faith in god thru him anything is possible. Sorry to hear of your loss

Old 03-09-2010, 10:06 PM   #4
(female)

grandma2o2girls HB User

Thank you and please give sobriety a chance. I am 9 months sober after 35 years of drinking. By the grace of god only, I do not have cirrohosis. After my husband passed I ended up going to rehab twice. It's a hard road but worth it. My husband's suffering was horrible and I do hope you do quit.

Take care and let us know how you are doing.

Darlene

Closed Thread