It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2010, 10:58 AM   #1
(male)

ME78 HB User
Elevated liver enzymes (worried)

Hello all, first time poster here. Well here is the story. It is my birthday today (23 years old), so last Saturday (5 days ago) my friends threw me a birthday party. Of course there was heavy drinking going on. I was starting to get flu like symptoms on that same day, so it was stupid of me to drink so much, but I did anyways. Sunday and Monday I spent recovering from the flu and a hangover. Tuesday morning, around 3 a.m., I had diarrhea and proceeded to take imodium. Later that morning, around 9 a.m., I started getting very severe pain just below my ribcage. It hurt to move, breathe, and even touch the area. The pain got so intense that I ended up going to the hospital. Of course, the pain subsided in the waiting room but I went in to get checked anyways.

The doctors ended up taking 3 viles of blood, and gave me an i.v. because they said I was pretty dehydrated. They proceeded to tell me the pain I was experiencing was most likely cramps. Long story short, the blood test came back and showed that I had elevated liver enzymes. They proceeded to test for Mono and Hepatitis, which both came back negative. They had me follow up with my family physician today, who took blood again and asked me a number of questions. He said that the combination of the flu and binge drinking was probably the cause of the elevated levels, but we won't know for sure until the test results come back on Tuesday. Naturally, I am scared to death of what these results are going to be and would like to know if anyone else had experienced something similar? I have never had elevated enzyme levels so I really have no idea what to think at this point. I feel perfectly fine right now, but just need someone to talk to I guess.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #2
(female)

Kerry21 HB User
Re: Elevated liver enzymes (worried)

hey!! first of all, calm down.. LOL thats what everyone tells me.

2nd of all are u on meds? did u take meds just before getting blood done? did they check ur gallbladder? flu like symptoms and attack after partying sounds like stones...

check it out dude!

Old 03-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #3
(male)

ME78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry21 View Post

2nd of all are u on meds? did u take meds just before getting blood done? did they check ur gallbladder? flu like symptoms and attack after partying sounds like stones...

check it out dude!
No I am not on meds, but having the flu recently, I have taken A LOT of alka seltzer plus cold and advil. They have not checked my gallbladder yet or for stones, all they have checked for thus far is for mono and hepatitis. They ran another test today to see if the levels went down and I will know if they did on Tuesday.

The only thing I probably should have mentioned is that I was on creatine for about a month January into February, but I'm not sure if this could be the cause for the elevated enzyme levels. Anyone know anything about this? It was GNC's amplified creatine 189 in pill form.

Last edited by ME78; 03-11-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

You mentioned 'pain just below the rib cage'. Which side? Left or Right? and did it seem to wrap around to your back?
Rose

Old 03-11-2010, 05:02 PM   #5
(male)

ME78 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rose4me View Post
You mentioned 'pain just below the rib cage'. Which side? Left or Right? and did it seem to wrap around to your back?
Rose
Yes it wrapped around my back but the pain seemed to be more focused on the left side. It hurt when I pushed on the area under my ribcage. The pain also seemed to go all the way up into my shoulders it got so severe. Anyways, I made sure the doctors at the hospital carefully examined me in those areas as well as the doctor at my family physician. Both said all seemed to have returned to normal. The hospital doctors said the pain was probably from my liver being inflamed, which is why I think all of this is a result of the binge drinking I did on Saturday in addition to my flu.

Old 03-12-2010, 06:54 AM   #6
(female)

Kerry21 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricMateya View Post
Yes it wrapped around my back but the pain seemed to be more focused on the left side. It hurt when I pushed on the area under my ribcage. The pain also seemed to go all the way up into my shoulders it got so severe. Anyways, I made sure the doctors at the hospital carefully examined me in those areas as well as the doctor at my family physician. Both said all seemed to have returned to normal. The hospital doctors said the pain was probably from my liver being inflamed, which is why I think all of this is a result of the binge drinking I did on Saturday in addition to my flu.
i pressed on my gallbladder/liver last night and it hurt. now im sore today. the ct scan shows 2 growths on my liver that look to be noncancerous. maybe u should have a ct scan or ultrasound.. i always thought the liver doesnt feel..
now im thinking omg its my gallbladder too. why cant we just not worry?

Old 03-12-2010, 08:07 AM   #7
(female)

rose4me HB Userrose4me HB User

Pancreatitis is also suspect in upper left quadrant, wrap around, Severe pain. This condition/disease, can be caused by excessive alchohol consumption, and gall stones lodged in the pancreatic bile duct. It is very, very painful. Elevated liver enzymes would suggest this as a possibility. Do some research on this condition. Quite often though, unless you are having a acute pancreatic episode - 'acute pancreatitis'- your body will evidence this in a blood test only for a brief period. Some people are able to handle their liquor and others are not able to. This condition can become chronic and very disabling.
I am not suggesting you had or have this, but it is a possibility. I had acute pancreatitis the beginning of this year - brought on by a gall stone lodged in the pancreatic bile duct. I was in the hospital for 15 days, the first five were in PCU until I became stable enough to be moved to the presurgery floor for the following 10 days. I did have the gall bladder removed and that surgery was by far the easiest thing I went through in the hospital. The pain from a pancreatitis episode is unrelenting - please take care of yourself and consider being the designated driver instead of the party guy. Pain is a strong motivator to do the right thing, if you can. Keep us posted.
Rose

Last edited by Administrator; 03-13-2010 at 12:48 AM. Reason: removed quote

Old 03-24-2010, 06:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry21 View Post

check it out dude!
My alt was at 75 slightly elevated - could antibiotics make this rise. I had a UTI when they took my blood and I had an injection of antibiotic plus I was taking an antibiotic too.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:48 AM   #9
(male)

ME78 HB User

Update: Went back to the doc's for more blood work. Got a call about a week later and they said that I had an old mono in my blood which may be the cause of my elevated levels. I was still sick after they took the blood at the doc's office and they said that my new tests should a huge improvement in liver enzymes, but they still were not at 100% so they sent me a prescription and want to retest me in 2 weeks after I start the medication.

I received the prescription today, and it is rather weird what they wrote on it. It reads: LFT's (Liver Function Tests?) and then on the next line it says Dx (Diagnosed?): 790.6. It is signed by my doctor but does not indicate how much meds I am supposed to get nor does it say how many refills (the refills say NR, 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5). Anyone have any idea if this is in fact for medication orr? Thanks.

Old 03-25-2010, 07:20 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Mari526 HB User

You have a script for repeat labwork. The 790.6 is the ICD9 code required by the lab for billing purposes.

It's not a med prescription. Give it to the lab when you go in 2 weeks.

Closed Thread