It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2010, 04:55 PM   #1
(female)

yuliya14 HB User
liver

how do you know if you have liver problems?

Old 04-24-2010, 09:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

JohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB UserJohnR41 HB User
Re: liver

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuliya14 View Post
how do you know if you have liver problems?
I can give you a couple of examples:

1) I had a neighbor who was a big beer drinker and was suffering from sirrhosis of the liver. He was thought to be near the final stage of his disease and was staying home from work. He stayed home for several days. Then one day he surprised everyone because he was about to leave his house to go back to work. And he looked better, as if he had gained some weight.

It turned out that the weight he gained was "water retention". His face had some swelling in it that made him look well when he was actually very very ill. He died the next day!

2) Another drinker I knew (mixed drinks) began to feel a pain in his liver area. He tried to ignore it, thinking it would go away by itself. It persisted and got worse. Finally he went to a doctor and found out he had liver cancer. He died within a month or two and was only 60 years old.

3) The next example (also 60 years old) was not a drinker but he took large doses of supplements. They think he might have put too much stress on his liver from all the various large doses of supplements he took. Anyway, his first symptom was a pain in the middle of his body (I guess it was in the liver area) that continued for several days. Finally he went to a doctor and was diagnosed with liver cancer. He died within a couple of weeks.

These 3 examples just happen to be of people who died within a relatively short period of time. It doesn't mean that everyone dies from having liver problems. I don't know what the statistics are but I'm sure that many get treatments and recover. I did have one friend who had sirrhosis and recovered from it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-25-2010, 12:09 PM   #3
(female)

finn10 HB User

a lot of the time you don't know you have liver problems. I was tired, making mistakes in work, irritable, moody, crying all the time. It turned out I had 4 tumours on my liver.. I had no idea..

if you are worried get your bloodwork checked.. anything wrong with your liver will show up on that.

Old 04-25-2010, 12:40 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

gigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB Usergigi11 HB User

I kept asking my doctor about fatty liver which I have - they kept telling me that the liver does not cause any pain. People find out through blood test if something is wrong with their liver. Other people say that is wrong and they had all kinds of symptoms from fatty liver.

Old 04-28-2010, 09:13 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

the very BEST way to really know for certain if you just do have anything impacting your liver would be to simply see your doc for some bloodwork and a referral for an abdominal ultrasound. those two crucial things would simply give you the very best picture overall. our actual lab numbers when testing function in any given organ will not actually change til impairment of some kind reaches a 'magic' threshold level to where it is actually impairing true function(the level of true function IS what shows up in the lab numbers). but that liver, if something is happeneing would tend to actually show itself upon US usually way earlier than any labs would realistically change with alot of liver conditions?

i personally have really massive cystic types of damage in my liver and both kidneys that are also very enlarged, but amazingly still have perfectly normal numbers. unbelievable i know, but they WILL change, much sooner vs later. but this is just how certain types of actual disease processes can be, depending. that is why the US along with labs is really crucial.

are you actually having ANY real types of symptoms going on or something you even 'think' may be liver related? marcia

Closed Thread