It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
(male)

CRAZLARY1951 HB User
Brand New Liver Transplant- RFA Treatment

Hi All,

I just got home from the hospital with a Liver transplant and I couldn't be any happier.

I have had Hep. C since a motorcycle accident when I was a kid.
3 years ago, 2 malignant tumors appeared on my liver and were treated using Radio Frequency Ablation and were successful in stopping the growth of them.

I have been on the Liver Transplant waiting list for a little over 1 1/2 years.

If your a transplantee, please reply I need some heads up.
If you are on a similar journey towards transplantation, I'd really like to help because the process is VERY FRUSTRATING

Good Luck to Everyone - Larry

Old 07-13-2010, 01:16 PM   #2
(male)

jay briggs HB User
Re: Brand New Liver Transplant- RFA Treatment

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZLARY1951 View Post
Hi All,

I just got home from the hospital with a Liver transplant and I couldn't be any happier.

I have had Hep. C since a motorcycle accident when I was a kid.
3 years ago, 2 malignant tumors appeared on my liver and were treated using Radio Frequency Ablation and were successful in stopping the growth of them.

I have been on the Liver Transplant waiting list for a little over 1 1/2 years.

If your a transplantee, please reply I need some heads up.
If you are on a similar journey towards transplantation, I'd really like to help because the process is VERY FRUSTRATING

Good Luck to Everyone - Larry
Hi Larry, Congratulations on your successful transplant. I have Hep C. Tried interferon+peg (?) I was a relapser. My doc has never mentioned transplant. Should I ask about the process? How do they qualify you?
Best regards,
Jay

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #3
(male)

CRAZLARY1951 HB User

Hi Jay;
Sorry to hear you'r Hep C. Hope it is a mild one and not the butt kicker that I had (have?). I went through 5 rounds of Interferon (standard and Peg, Riviviran) without success. I'm kinda hard headed and shouldv'e stopped earlier but I was grabbing any lifeboat that came by.

After 17 years of Hep C, 2 maligiante Tumors grew on my liver and I was refferd to UCLA - Plegre Liver Institute for treatment. I was really luckey cuz
UCLA has the best liver program in the USA.

With Hep C. resectioning (surgical removal of tumors) can not be done. Only alternative is complete liver transplant.

Since I wasn't too liver sick, it took about 8 months to get on the waiting list
and 1 1/2 years to get my transplant. So here we are and I'll try to briefly ansawer your questions.

Qualifing for the list is fairly straightforward. Your Hep C has to damage the liver enough to cause cirrosis, cancer or (as in my case) both. Your liver has to be SICK. I wasn't that sick so the long wait.

What area do you live in ?, There are liver transplant centers all over the US.
Let me know and I'll see what is close to you. Even if you don't qualify now
you can get your foot in the door to save time when and IF you need one.

About your Doc. not mentioning transplant please realize that a very small percentage of doc's know anything about transplant. I have been amazed at all the great doc'. I've seen that don't know anything but the bare basics of organ transplant. Ask your GI doc about it.

The whole process is confusing and frustrating but very doable

I hope this helps. I think that all us Hep Cr's should try to get in the door. JUST IN CASE a transplant is needed. There is no worry about getting transplanted when you don't need it because livers are scarce and worth more than gold.

Write at you later, Larry

Old 07-16-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
(male)

CRAZLARY1951 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAZLARY1951 View Post
Hi Jay;
Sorry to hear you'r Hep C. Hope it is a mild one and not the butt kicker that I had (have?). I went through 5 rounds of Interferon (standard and Peg, Riviviran) without success. I'm kinda hard headed and shouldv'e stopped earlier but I was grabbing any lifeboat that came by.

After 17 years of Hep C, 2 maligiante Tumors grew on my liver and I was refferd to UCLA - Plegre Liver Institute for treatment. I was really luckey cuz
UCLA has the best liver program in the USA.

With Hep C. resectioning (surgical removal of tumors) can not be done. Only alternative is complete liver transplant.

Since I wasn't too liver sick, it took about 8 months to get on the waiting list
and 1 1/2 years to get my transplant. So here we are and I'll try to briefly ansawer your questions.

Qualifing for the list is fairly straightforward. Your Hep C has to damage the liver enough to cause cirrosis, cancer or (as in my case) both. Your liver has to be SICK. I wasn't that sick so the long wait.

What area do you live in ?, There are liver transplant centers all over the US.
Let me know and I'll see what is close to you. Even if you don't qualify now
you can get your foot in the door to save time when and IF you need one.

About your Doc. not mentioning transplant please realize that a very small percentage of doc's know anything about transplant. I have been amazed at all the great doc'. I've seen that don't know anything but the bare basics of organ transplant. Ask your GI doc about it.

The whole process is confusing and frustrating but very doable

I hope this helps. I think that all us Hep Cr's should try to get in the door. JUST IN CASE a transplant is needed. There is no worry about getting transplanted when you don't need it because livers are scarce and worth more than gold.

Write at you later, Larry

Closed Thread