It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2010, 11:42 AM   #1
(female)

Lynae1976 HB User
Unhappy Uncontrollable sudden itching 24/7 & RUQ pain...MISERABLE & waiting

A little over a week ago, I woke up feeling like someone had kicked me in the ribs on the right side. It felt really bruised & sore, but looked normal. As the day went on, the pain subsided & it only hurt if I pushed in that area. A few days later (Sunday evening, to be exact), I started itching from head to toe uncontrollably. I went to work yesterday morning and was literally kicked out of the office to go to the doctor. My boss said, "take your fleas & get out of here." I got into the doc yesterday afternoon and by that point, I was full of petchiae on my arms, legs, stomach, chest, & back from the scratching, along with lumps and purple bruises in a couple spots on my legs. I look like I got into a fight with a mountain lion...and lost. haha

The doctor ruled out any type of allergic reaction when I told him I hadn't used any new soaps, lotions, etc or eaten any new foods and that I took 4 Benadryl the night before and they didn't relieve the itching at all. There is also no rash or anything visible, aside from the marks I've caused from the scratching. It's so bad I swear even my eyeballs itch! Head to toe...literally. He asked about other pain or symptoms and I mentioned the bruised feeling under my ribs. When he had me lay down & pressed on it I almost kicked him (and said a few choice four letter words...oops). It hurt BAD! He said I had a positive murphy's response & it felt swollen in that area. He started asking questions about my eating habits, thinking it may be my gall bladder. I don't have pain after eating, although I haven't had much of an appetite for the last couple months and have lost about 12 lbs. I'm not overweight...5'2" inches and now about 130 lbs, so although I could stand to lose a few pounds of "mommy fat", it's nothing the doctors would show concern over. He noticed the tiny red dots all over my stomach & asked about those, which have been there for a couple years now. They don't bother me so I've never worried about them. Then he said something that scared me...he mentioned acute liver failure. He said he was baffled because of the rapid onset of pain and itching, and said that the only things my symptoms point to when you put them all together are liver related. I'm not jaundice at all, although my husband has been commenting over the last couple weeks how pale I look and that the dark circles under my eyes are getting worse. He's right...I constantly look like my makeup is smeared and no amount of concealer covers it. Maybe I'll become goth... haha

My ultrasound results will be available within 24 hours and I'm not sure about the bloodwork results. The doc never told me when I could expect that. I have no follow up appointment scheduled so I guess I'll just call to find out if the results are in later today. I'm not overly concerned, although being the Google Queen I am, I've read some things that scare me based on my symptoms. Liver cancer, Hodgkin's, and leukemia don't sound very fun to me. I'm still itching from head to toe, and the only *slight* relief I've had was a 2 1/2 hour lukewarm bath with oatmeal slathered all over my body yesterday, but I was still miserable. I'm still incredibly itchy. I can't even begin to describe the intensity of it. And now my skin just hurts because even where there are no visible bruises, it feels bruised underneath from all the scratching I've done. I know all I can do is sit here and wait miserably for the results, but it's SOOOOOO frustrating when there's nothing anyone can do for the itch. And I'm so incredibly exhausted all the time now. This just makes it worse because sleep is hard to come by with all this itch.

Anyone have any similar experience, idea of what might be causing it, or advice on how to stop this itching?? I'm sick of being itchy & witchy!! I'm trying so hard to add humor into this, but I really just want to cry. I never knew I could be so itchy it's almost painful... *sigh*

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-13-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
(female)

Lynae1976 HB User
Re: Uncontrollable sudden itching 24/7 & RUQ pain...MISERABLE & waiting

I forgot to mention, about a year ago, I was having pain in the same area and had an ultrasound where they found an atypical hemangioma on my liver. I believe it was approximately 1.5 cm at that point. My liver enzymes were also slightly elevated at that point, but the doctor wasn't concerned with either of those things.

Old 10-13-2010, 01:01 PM   #3
(female)

Lynae1976 HB User

Doc just called...said my WBC is 17,000. He noticed it's been elevated consistently in the last few rounds of bloodwork, but now is high even for me. He also said he has no other advice or ideas aside from waiting for the u/s results and repeating bloodwork in a week. Ugh...does a WBC that high mean ANYTHING?

Old 10-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #4
(male)

steve1906 HB User

Hello lynae1976, I hope you are feeling better!!! Did you get the ultrasound test back? Did the doctor ever find out what it was?

Thanks...

Closed Thread