It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #1
(female)

fretz HB User
Afraid I'm going into liver failure...Advice or just help?

I had a CT scan about 1.5 months ago, along with the typical ER bloodwork they do. The CT scan showed my spleen and liver were minimally enlarged, as the doctor put it, and she acted like it meant nothing, so I thought nothing of it. I remember her exact words being, "Your organs are functioning normally and your blood work is fine, the only thing noted is minimal swelling of spleen and liver" and that was that.

I followed up about a month later with my GP, she wanted me to get an ultrasound of my abdomen, which I had done this past Friday. She called later that day to tell me my spleen was enlarged and she was sending me to a surgeon tomorrow (monday)

Now, I'm worried, she didn't say my liver was swollen, just spleen, but I also didn't ask. I just worry because now I feel this pain in my liver, under my right ribcage along with pain around my spleen area. To be honest, I'm quite afraid I'm going into liver failure. I'm young 22 yrs old and a little overweight, but never had any significant health issues until now. I guess I'm looking for comfort?...I know no one can diagnose me, or say Oh no, you aren't, it's okay. My step father died 2 years ago from liver cancer and it's made me even more scared. I don't have any jaundice, but I am worried about the pain and the swelling even though the liver swelling was never confirmed I feel like I can feel it being swollen. Any advice, tips...or just general help please

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2011, 05:57 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User
Re: Afraid I'm going into liver failure...Advice or just help?

Hi I would try an AMAS test to eliminate fear of cancer. I would use very little fat for awhile until the liver recovers unless I did not weigh enough since the liver produces enzymes to digest fat which are then said to be subsequently stored in the gallbladder (except for people who had theirs out of course).

Is the gallbladder still present?

I would use all organic food to lessen the insecticide used on foods which may be a burden on the liver. If that is impossible at least a harmless vegetable fruit wash would be used. I would eat more lemons, fruits, radishes black beans lentils and other beans. Other foods said to be helpful include artichoke, cabbage, brussels sprouts, broccoli, cauliflower, kale, berries, prunes, apples, pears, raisins, soybeans.

I would get more sunlight since this is said to be helpful for bilirubin levels and may help lower liver stress. I might try an antiviral tea just in case... such as bay leaf( a couple leaves in water that was boiled and then turned off then let it sit 20 min)goldenseal possibly echinacea. I suspect bay leaf might be more effective since it was used in smallpox days during epidemics and I would use it every 6 hours. Garlic is said to have antipathogenic properties and I would be using that also. There are other herbs that are said to be good for liver.

Warmth to the spleen on the left side of the body for 15 minutes followed by a short cold application may be helpful in the opinion of some. I would not use heat on the right side for now until more is learned about treatment of that side. I am wondering if heat might speed metabolism on that side too much I am truthfully unsure.

I might try a mudbath said by some to be useful for liver failure (in the old days). I would not use any chemical substances or pills since these burden the liver. In my opinion animal products should not be used since animals eat grain which may have had pesticides on it. Pesticide, in theory may have concentrated in the liver in particular if the liver was not functioning right and did not complete the job of detoxification. In addition the liver has the job of taking care of hormones in an animals body and with liver difficulty one does not need more hormone which animals have, to deal with. Of course everybody decides what to do for themself. Have a wonderful day!

Last edited by sjb; 01-13-2011 at 04:31 AM. Reason: typo at post

The Following User Says Thank You to sjb For This Useful Post:
Searchin (01-11-2011)
Old 01-13-2011, 04:41 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

sjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB Usersjb HB User

I personally would be careful about using bottled supplements since many enzymes come from animals and may contain malignancies or other disease animals often carry. There are vegetarian ones out there but for someone with a swollen liver and spleen I would be hesitant to suggest many a supplement at this point unless the health professional specifically says so because it might add a processing burden to the liver. I am truthfully unsure about the value of the vegetarian ones however in liver or spleen problems. Hope this helps. :smile:

Old 01-13-2011, 02:13 PM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

Hi I would be interested in hearing what has been decided on care and what happens if desired to tell us. :smile:

Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 AM   #5
(female)

fretz HB User

I was seen on Monday and the surgeon wasn't too concerned, he said my liver enzymes were fine and nothing in my long list of blood work looked largely out of the norm. My lymphocites (sp?) he said, were a little high and he thinks I might have some kind of viral infection. I'm being sent to a hematologist to rule anything else out, but hopefully it all goes well. Thanks for your concern and replies.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

Hi you are welcome! Has Mononucleosis been ruled out?

Old 01-14-2011, 08:46 PM   #7
(female)

fretz HB User

No, hasn't been tested for yet, although I am going to bring it up with hematologist. Just wondering here, but my symptoms have been going on for months, could I have mono for so long without it becoming debilitating? i.e., tiredness, general unwell feeling, sore throat? I've looked into the symptoms and I don't really have any that sound like mono.

Old 01-16-2011, 06:24 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

Hi yes, in my opinion a mono sore throat does not have to be severe and can cause tiredness. I have read the mono virus can be in the body for life.

Have a nice day!

Last edited by sjb; 01-16-2011 at 06:26 AM. Reason: deletion made

Closed Thread