It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2011, 06:28 AM   #1
(female)

thandi21 HB User
Exclamation internal pain on right side under the lower part of the ribcage & back

hi im new on here, for the last couple of days ive been gettin a pain (like an ache) under the lower part of the ribcage on right side & my back! its a similar feeling to when you've slept funny on it! it started off in my lower back 2days ago & i didnt think nothing of it, but today wen i lay on my side it hurt to put pressure on it! i felt where the pain where to see if i had any lumps and it feels as tho something is swollen or inflamed compared to the left side! the pain in my lower back seems to come wen im sat down or if i stand up an am bending over to pick something up or just any movement of that area sets it off!
anyone know what it could be thats causin this??
i dont know whether to worry or not & whether i should see my gp ... COULD IT BE ANYTHING SERIOUS???

Old 02-02-2011, 06:40 PM   #2
(female)

nitashaw HB User
Re: internal pain on right side under the lower part of the ribcage & back

I have had similar symptoms. For several weeks, I had a discomfort (not necessarily pain) in the diaphragm area between my rib cage. I saw my gastroenterologist who sent me for lab work and a sonogram. The sonogram didn't show anything, but lab work suggests a slight abnormality with the liver and pancreas. The liver has an amazing ability to heal itself, so I began taking milk thistle and began feeling better. That's what I do; I'm not suggesting that you do that, but milk thistle is supposed to be good for healing the liver. Dr. wanted me to do an endoscopic exam and a CT scan. I have requested to see copies of the lab work. After two weeks, I have been unable to see those. Today, I have a definite soreness on both sides of the rib cage in the diaphragm area. - sort of like I have stretched a muscle due to exercise. Due to extreme cold and icy streets, I haven't been out of the house for two days and no exercise to explain the soreness. I, too, am wondering what could be wrong. Several days out of the week, I feel unwell with excessive gas and bloating. What does "slight abnormality" mean? I think I may go ahead with the endoscopic and CT scan.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2011, 04:43 AM   #3
(male)

jacurry01 HB User

I had the same symptoms of pain under my right rib and it was diagnosed as
Costochondritis. After I got home from the doctor, I looked it up online also and
I knew that the doctor diagnosed it right and with the right medication it went away. I now have the same pain constantly and you can also have a chronic form.

Old 11-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #4
(male)

BillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB UserBillinSD HB User

Your liver is under your ribs on the right side... If it gets swollen, it can push your rib cage out a bit and "torque" the vertebrae in your spine (ribs are attached to the spine in back) causing pain there too. It can also cause a dull ache and be uncomfortable when sleeping on your right side.

"Fatty liver" is very common now days... Too much sugar, alcohol, carbs, and polyunsaturated fat is the cause. It's not too dangerous as long as it doesn't stay too fatty for too long. There is plenty of dietary advise online to reduce fatty liver. Your doctor can give you this same advise too, as well as do some blood tests to see just how angry your liver is.

If there is any chance you may have hepatitis (tattoos, needles, risky sex), you should be tested for this. If you are male, in your 40s/50s, you might get tested for iron overload (hemachromatosis) too.

Eggs and coffee are two of your livers favorite foods, so if you don't normally eat/drink these, you may wish to add them to your diet to see if it helps.

Eggs have more Lecithin than anything else you might eat, and lecithin helps your liver move fats and bile. No one knows what's in coffee that livers love so much, but if you google around on this subject (search: coffee and liver), you'll see this is true.

Last edited by BillinSD; 11-19-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: addition

Closed Thread