It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #1
(female)

msjm HB User
elevated AST in blood work

I am 22 years old and had blood work done. Everything came out within the normal range except my AST levels were high. Granted, I partied too much, resulting in me drinking too much alcohol while in college, however, since the blood test, which was about a month ago, I have completely stayed away from alcohol and medication. I do not drink too much medication, only about once a month over the counter. Also, I recently heard that strenuous exercise will affect the AST levels to be elevated, and I do exercise on a regular basis. Unfortunately, I did not find out about the exercising until yesterday and I exercised the day before, which was the 6th. My next doctor appointment is on the 19th and I am supposed to have new blood work done a week before, which would be the 12th, making it six days after exercise. I tried new exercises, which resulted in my muscles being sore. So, my question is, how many days before the blood test should I not exercise? Should I postpone my appointments for another week or am I safe? Thank you in advance. I will really appreciate any comments!

Old 04-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #2
(male)

Robert32asp HB User
Re: elevated AST in blood work

I am a lot older (62), but will share my experience which may or maynot be similar to yours. I had my first slightly (if there is such a thing) elevated liver enzyme test earlier this year after heavey exercise. I found in another website that I can not link to, where a Dr. Hector Lopez M.D. states

"....We've done some "in-house" experimental work and found that AST/ALT elevations typically BEGIN within 8 hours after the exercise event, PEAK at 30-36 hours, and MAY REMAIN elevated for as long as 6-7 days.

---elevations tend to be greater in novice exercisers, or those returning after a layoff/deconditioned state (makes sense, since they have yet to experience the repeated bout effect, and skeletal muscle membranes/ myo-tendionus junctions are still apt to micro-injury) ....."

I have had two elevated liver enzyme fuction tests, one after a killer set of exercise sessions associated with a New Year's resolution to get back into shape. Then one where things were better but still elevated slightly. I am cleaning up my lifestyle by stopping regualar alcohol consumption and by loosing some weight.

It is my hope that will cause things to drop into the normal range on my next test. I am also currently training for a half marathon and doing lots of exercising. My next liver enzyeme test is scheduled for 11 days after I run my half-marathon. During that time, I intend to do minimal exercising. One of the things that I also do regularly, but will stop several days prior to my liver test is getting a deep tissue massage, which really helps me be able to do harsh exercise, but may also contribute to putting ALT/AST from stressed out muscles into my blood stream.

Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread