It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2011, 12:01 AM   #1
(male)

gynks HB User
visible veins on abdomen

Somebody please help me, I have had veins on my abdomen that have been visible for about a year now, they look like ones on my forearms, not sticking out but I can see them, sometimes better then other times. Is this a symptom of cirhosis? I know I have started looking at people more if I am at a beach or something and don't see other people with these veins visible, can this be Caput Medusa (SP)? I went to the doctoe about a year ago and showed them to him and he pretty much was like "ok, they are veins, whats your point" but why don't I see other people with them and why when I look online do I see visible veins on abdomen as a symptom of cirhosis. I am 37 years old and have been a social drinker for a pretty long time.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
(male)

gynks HB User
Re: visible veins on abdomen

Nobody has any thoughts on this? Come on, I am in the US Air Force and currently deployed so getting to the doctor is not that easy....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-10-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
(male)

still life HB Userstill life HB User

They can be a symptom of cirrhosis, but that's like saying headaches can be a symptom of a brain tumor. It's not a highly specific symptom. It's more likely to be something else or have no clinical significance. Do you have any other symptoms suggestive of cirrhosis? Because if you don't, and if you don't have any risk factors other than social drinking (which normally isn't heavy enough to cause cirrhosis), then it's highly unlikely you have cirrhosis.

Last edited by still life; 05-10-2011 at 11:26 AM.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:43 PM   #4
(male)

gynks HB User

Well I have noticed some small read lines on my chest kinda below the ribs, I dont see a red center with legs sprouting out so not sure if it is the spider nevi, I have become more forgetful lately but not sure if thats just cuz I am getting a little older. Do you know if cirhosis causes pain in the liver area? Also, does fatty liver cause symptoms similar to Cirhosis. What are the most common symptoms that present with cirhosis? Basically the veins ae just freaking me out because I dont see other people with them.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:03 AM   #5
(male)

Fatty liver usually doesn't cause symptoms. Some things cirrhosis can present with: easy bleeding (as in, when you start bleeding, you can't stop so easily, as the liver produces blood clotting factors), jaundice (yellowish skin and eyes), pale colored stools, nausea/vomiting, swollen legs or abdomen from fluid buildup, and slower drug/alcohol metabolism. Most of these cirrhosis symptoms are from liver dysfunction, which is different from liver injury, like fatty liver (which can sometimes result in liver pain, although this is not typical). Cirrhosis can probably cause liver pain, but I actually think it's less likely to cause liver pain than less serious conditions like acute hepatitis, since that involves inflammation whereas cirrhosis involves scarring.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:56 AM   #6
(male)

gynks HB User

Still, if I noticed these veins a few years ago and they were dueto cirhosis would I have more symptoms by now? And when they say pale stool, do they mean yellow? What exactly is pale?

Old 05-11-2011, 09:12 AM   #7
(male)

If they were due to cirrhosis, and you've had them for a number of years, yes, I think you'd notice other symptoms too by now. By pale, I mean white or gray, as this can indicate liver dysfunction due to lack of bile production, which gives the stool its normal color.

Old 05-12-2011, 12:41 AM   #8
(male)

gynks HB User

Well my stools have been yellowish lately and I have read yellow stools can indicate liver issuesI don't have red palms, swollen legs, etc. Basically what I can see is the veins on my abdomen, yellow stool and some red lines on my chest that are similar to a vericose vein. How long can a person live if I actually have cirhosis? I havent had a drink in almost a month.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:26 PM   #9
(female)

blue712 HB User

I am not an expert, but they might be an indication that something is wrong with something inside your abdomen. I also have veins on my abdomen (they do not stick out though) and I have an enlarged liver, blocked kidneys and Celiac Disease, which effects the gastrointestinal system. I went to an alternative medicine Dr. once who noticed that my chest looked like a road map because of all the blue prominent veins. He said it was because my lungs were filled with crap, probably from pollution. I did not want to tell him that it was probably because I was a smoker then. At the time, not only was I underage, but knew I would get so flack from a Dr., everyone knows it's bad for you but a Dr. will harass you about it. I am happy to report that I have quit and no longer have those veins in my chest. Anyway, maybe an alternative medicine Dr. can help you figure out what the trouble is.

Closed Thread