It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Liver & Pancreas Disorders Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-15-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
(female)

holypie HB User
giant hemangioma

a year ago i began to become ill with rapid weight loss, nausea, hypoglycemia, pain in upper right back, shortness of breath. on new years eve, my family doctor called me at home to say catscan had showed a giant liver mass which was questionable hemangioma or fibromedullar carcinoma..had an mri which was also unable to exclude the carcinoma due to density of mass. i then had a red blood cell study scan in which it was decided it was a hemangioma..it can not be biopsied. i saw a liver surgeon who stated that it was uncertain as to whether or not this hemangioma was the cause of my symptoms and it would be monitored. the hemangioma measures 10.8 x 10.4 x 7.5 cm. it is located centrally, internally within my liver. the scans demonstrated that my right lung was compressed midway and lower lobe of left lung was also compressed. the advise i recieved was no trauma to my body at all. " dont fall'' even on days i feel ok, the activities i enjoy doing are limited. since consult i have noticed a pertrusion below right rib area half way to navel area. i can not take any pain medications because i vomit them within 20 min. i do not know if hemangiomas affect metabolization of drugs or not. i feel alone and concerned about the state of my physical health at this time

The following user gives a hug of support to holypie:
4evrdez (07-14-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-17-2011, 06:34 PM   #2
(female)

holypie HB User
Re: giant hemangioma

i went to hospital for nausea, vomiting and right abdominal pain 2 days ago. i was told hemangiomas dont grow enough in few months for this to be the cause of the pertrusion happening under my right ribs..they didnt know what it was..told me to go home not worry and take meds to help settle my belly. vomiting has improved but not severe nausea or fatique..oh well wait till next scan is due. it is all i can do...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-23-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
(female)

neens7982 HB User

If the hemangioma is pressing on other structures, it can very well cause all those symptoms. You should visit a liver surgeon or a hepatologist...not a gastroenterologist. I had a 7cm hemangioma on my liver that pressed on my diaphragm and caused horrendous pain to my shoulder and it hurt to breath. I finally had the right lobe of my liver removed to take out the hemangioma...it is so nice to not have the pain anymore....
Good luck to you! Keep plunging ahead until you hear the answers you deserve. I know there is a great liver doc at UCSF med center and at Baylor med center....

The Following User Says Thank You to neens7982 For This Useful Post:
holypie (07-05-2011)
Old 06-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
(female)

holypie HB User

i am seeing a liver surgeon..my hemangioma causes pain in right upper back and shortness of breath cause of the constriction to my diaphram also..my right lung only expands half way..going for final MRI next tuesday. then to see liver surgeon on july 20 about resection..scared to death cause most hemangiomas are in right lobe and mine is centrally located making resection harder i guess to do..theres a procedure i read about where they cut off the blood supply to the hemangioma but i dont know enough about that or even where its available...how was your recovery if you dont mind my asking..i really appreciate your replay because its so hard, i find, to talk to people who can relate. thank you

Closed Thread