I want to thank you for taking the time to respond to my post. Yesterday I spent literally hours on the phone trying to get something, anything, to dull the pain. I had 17 blood tests done, will have a liver biopsy done, and depending on the results of the blood tests, will have either a CT or an MRI done to get a better picture of what is going on with the liver, pancreas, kidneys, the whole 9 yards. They already removed my gall bladder and my appendix, and I had a hysterectomy this past May and had endometriosis removed. There is a possibility that there is endo still growing in strange places (they originally removed it from some strange places, and it was deeply infiltrated in some of my soft tissues) since I still have my ovaries. I understand this is all a lot for him to take in, and I only have had one appointment with him since 3 years ago when they found a liver tumor in a CT scan to find out why my "ribs" were hurting. The first thing he did was refer me to an oncologist, who promptly did testing the GI should have done because it was determined to not be cancerous. I was really scared during that time, being a mom to smaller children and really not that old (34/35).
As for what I have been using up to now: I have a pretty high tolerance for pain, but when I decided to have the hysterectomy, my GYN/UR knew I was nervous about pain after the surgery, so she called in medication with refills for me, just to put me at ease that I would be taken care of. I had been using that, as well as other medications that had been rx'd for pain, and I just didn't have any more. I was trying to avoid NSAIDs and Tylenol, etc. and that was all I had to turn to.
The story now (how it all changes in a day when you call so much): The GI doctor is going to talk with my PC doctor about pain management once some of the results start coming back, primarily the biopsy (which has yet to be scheduled for some reason). Then the two of them will make some decisions, and my PC will take care of my medications for this.
There is a possibility that the pain management center will be used, but at this point no doctor is really all that sure what they are dealing with. Apparently there is a possibility it could be autoimmune issues attacking my liver (that is what happened to my thyroid) so that would be treated differently than if my liver is just not functioning correctly on its own.
So, I am covered for FOUR days with Norco. I was told it was going to be for ten, so I called this morning for some resolution on that. 4 days will get me right to the weekend which puts me right where I was 2 weekends ago, back at Urgent Care or the ED to have something done for the pain. As you probably know from your son, no one wants to give meds to someone with a liver issue, especially if it hasn't been determined what is happening with the liver. I just hope and pray that he calls something in before the weekend.
Again, thank you for your thoughts on this. You are in such a hard place yourself, and I feel guilty for bringing all this here when I am sure others are dealing with so much more. Thank you again.